Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do you know of a lovely hotel in Milton Keynes/Bicester area?

(20 Posts)
cupcakes Sat 08-Jan-05 14:17:56

Dh and I are going away for the night in July - without children! It is a compromise of a trip - Oasis at Milton Keynes on the Saturday night for him and possibly shopping at Bicester on Sunday for me. The main thing I want though is a lovely hotel. We had planned to stay at Villiers in Buckingham as we have stayed before for a wedding but they are booked for the weekend we want. And I am having trouble finding anything else as nice.
Can anybody recommend anything?
It really needs to be no further than 45 mins from Milton Keynes Bowl so it is not too awkward after the concert. I would have loved to have stayed in the Cotswolds but I think that may be too far.
Please help! This will be our first night alone in 4½ years.

SuzySox Sat 08-Jan-05 14:36:23

There are quite a few nice ones on the outskirts of MK. Depends what your budget is really...

cupcakes Sat 08-Jan-05 14:40:55

I was thinking of up to £150 for a double for one night.
We never really go away and rarely stay in hotels so I don't know what you have to pay to get somewhere nice ie not a travelodge!
I haven't told my dh this is my budget - he'd probably flip.
Any ideas?

SuzySox Sat 08-Jan-05 14:53:24

Off the top of my head theres Hatton Court hotel and Horwood House.

I've stayed at horwood and it's quite nice (though I'd try and get one of the best rooms as they seem to vary a fair bit), not stayed at hatton court but it does look nice.

I'll have a think and post some more later.

SuzySox Sat 08-Jan-05 15:03:57

Just had a quick look on MK web here

Both the Inn and The Bell at Woburn will be nice.

The Moore Place at Aspley Guise used to be very good but I've not been there for several years now.

The Parkside Hotel at Woughton on the Green I think is quite good

Beales Hotel @ Buckingham - it's not in MK but it is the bowl side of MK and shouldn't be too difficult to get back to (prob about 30mins away from bowl)

The Cock @ Stony Stratford again heard some good things about it but that was a while ago.

Have a look and if there's any you fancy, just shoud and I'll see if I know them or have heard anything about them!

cupcakes Sat 08-Jan-05 15:11:11

Thanks! That's brilliant! You've given me a lot more to look at than when I googled.
Will get back to you...!

Carla Sat 08-Jan-05 15:11:55

Erm, apologies to anyone that lives there, but I'm not sure there's anything lovely going on in Bicester ...

cupcakes Sat 08-Jan-05 15:14:08

I've never been to Bicester itself, only the shopping village.

SuzySox Sat 08-Jan-05 15:16:17

Bicester is a fair bit away from the bowl at Mk would cost a small fortune if you were cab-ing it.

cupcakes Sat 08-Jan-05 15:36:45

Good point! I think my dh will probably drive as he's not that bothered about drinking (well, he likes it but not if it means paying for a cab!)
But you're right - I will look closer to MK

iota Sat 08-Jan-05 15:47:09

I second the recommendations for The Inn at Woburn and Moore Place. Bicester way, the Weston Manor Hotel is nice too. http://www.westonmanor.co.uk/indexb.htm?home.htm

For a really fab location tThe Bear at Woodstock is lovely - probably on the limit of where you want to be though?
http://www.charactercollection.co.uk/character-details/257.html

iota Sat 08-Jan-05 15:48:59

proper website for the Bear http://www.bearhotelwoodstock.co.uk/

cupcakes Sat 08-Jan-05 19:14:32

Both The Bear and Moore Place are out unfortunately - The Bear is fully booked (I'm not surprised, it looks lovely) and Moore Place only book a minimum of 2 nights.
Am very interested in the Woburn Inn which does have vacancies. What do you think?

iota Sat 08-Jan-05 19:17:10

It's a long time since I stayed at The Inn in Woburn - about 9 yrs (used to be called The Bedford Arms), but I think it's still good and it's very handy for the Bowl - about 6/7 miles away I think

iota Sat 08-Jan-05 19:19:21

Have you checked its website http://www.theinnatwoburn.com/content/default/index.asp

cupcakes Mon 10-Jan-05 09:30:46

The choice is now probably between the Inn at Woburn and The Cock at Stony Stratford.
Does anybody know anything about The Bell Hotel at Winslow?
Any thoughts? TIA {smile]

iota Mon 10-Jan-05 09:46:52

have eaten at the carvery at the Bell which was fine, never stayed there though.

Also thought of Whittlebury Hall - north of Milton Keynes, but seems to be good - haven't been there.Big hotel with a Spa. Depends what you're looking for

http://www.whittleburyhall.co.uk/index.asp

SuzySox Tue 11-Jan-05 14:16:52

The Bell hotel @ winslow has a very good reputation but I've never been there I'm afraid.

roisin Tue 11-Jan-05 14:26:12

Woodstock - where the Bear Hotel is - is lovely. The other hotel there (which is posher, nicer and more expensive than the Bear) is the Feathers Hotel.

cupcakes Tue 11-Jan-05 16:42:52

Thank you all for your very helpful advice!
We have booked a room at The Inn at Woburn. Luckily they actually had a vacancy - turns out we are going the same weekend as the British Grand Prix at Silverstone.
Am very much looking forward to it now.
Thanks profusely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now