Talk

Advanced search

Ski gear advice

(13 Posts)
Miriam2 Tue 04-Jan-05 12:17:00

ds age 13 is being taken on a ski-ing holiday (lucky so-and-so) by friend's family. As we are both non skiers, what gear should he get to wear? So far got ski jacket and boots for when not ski-ing, and gloves. They'll be hiring skis etc. Obviously needs ski trousers/ salopettes butwhat else? TIA

Mum2girls Tue 04-Jan-05 12:20:22

definitely a hat
gloves (+spare)
lip protector
ski socks
lots of thin layers - thermals if poss, tshirts, longsleeved t-shirts
must have goggles and sun glasses
sun screen

Merlin Tue 04-Jan-05 12:21:29

Lucky boy - where's he going? No ski-ing for me this year, baby due beginning of April! A few thin roll neck tops to wear are good (not woollen ones, proper skiwear sort of a jersey material?) Also proper ski socks are a must for his feet to be comfy!! Glasses or goggles, hat,suncream, mobile phone if he has one - found mine invaluable for when DH speeds on ahead without me!!

Merlin Tue 04-Jan-05 12:22:22

Sorry Mumto girls - you beat me to it!!

Miriam2 Tue 04-Jan-05 12:24:13

Deux alpes...sob! thanks both for advice, will print and take shopping with me!

Mum2girls Tue 04-Jan-05 12:24:20

np Merlin, no skiing for me either - not ready to take DDs yet (2 and 4). DP taking customers on Sunday (lucky swine), and to say I'm bitter and twisted about it....

Mum2girls Tue 04-Jan-05 12:25:18

Also swim stuff in case there's a pool at the accommodation...?

Merlin Tue 04-Jan-05 12:26:42

Mum2girls - what is it with our other halfs? Mine is possibly off on Sunday too with his pals. Suggested he might like to take DS age 4 cos he is keen to get him started, but I think it will spoil the apres-ski!! Anyway, if he does go I shall use it as a bargaining point later in the year fora girly trip for me and BF!!

Mum2girls Tue 04-Jan-05 12:31:24

Me too Merlin - serious amounts of brownie points being cashed in by me!!

stringbean Tue 04-Jan-05 12:31:43

When is he going? January is usually very cold, so thermal underwear may be needed, but probably unnecessary for March/April. Otherwise several thin layers that he can remove if he gets too warm eg t-shirt, rollneck top (maybe with half-zip?), thin fleece and padded ski jacket on top (or thick fleece and thin jacket). I always get hot skiing, but as a beginner your ds may be standing around a lot so may need to wear more; long ski lifts can also be chilly places to sit. Bear in mind he'll need to be able to get himself up off the ground in all this clobber when he falls over, so nothing too tight and restrictive.

A few pairs of ski socks will also be needed and a spare pair of gloves are useful if his get wet. Hat is essential - he should always have one in a pocket even if its a warm day, as the weather can change very quickly on the mountains. Also sunglasses are a must, and goggles will be needed if its snowing (trying to ski in sunglasses when its snowing is not recommended - they get wet and you can't see a thing). He must also wear high SPF suncream or sunblock, even on a cloudy day - back of neck and tops of ears are places that are often forgotten and get burnt.

I suggest you try and borrow as much stuff as possible if its his first time, or try somewhere like ebay for salopettes. I think Argos have just started doing a cheap range of ski gear as well. Hope this helps.

MrsFogi Tue 04-Jan-05 12:43:19

And remember a thingy (croaky?) to attach the sunglasses around his head so he doesn't loose them if he falls over/they fall off.

LunarSea Tue 04-Jan-05 13:29:56

Trousers are easier than salopettes as they can be taken down without needing to remove jackets (but salopettes provide a bit more protection from snow if he falls a lot!).

Otherwise most of the obvious things have been mentioned - for goggles get the type with double lenses as they'll fog up less, for glasses make sure they provide UV protection.

If he's going late season a baseball type cap can be good as it keeps the sun out of your eyes, but you might also want a clip thing to keep it attached if he manages to go fast enough to make it fly off! Whatever you do avoid the novelty hats with bells on - they might be amusing in a shop but they'll only drive either him, his friend or his friend's family mad before a couple of days are out!

If it's early season a fleece gilet/waistcoat will provide extra warmth without restricting movement on cold days.

Miriam2 Tue 04-Jan-05 15:03:41

Thanks for all your replies. He's going in mid Feb so will take all cold weather advice. stringbean, I do like the image of him loaded up with all this stuff, falling over and not being able to get up again waving his legs in the air Just makes me feel better about not going!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now