Talk

Advanced search

First trip abroad - tips and pool safety?

(13 Posts)
Waswondering Mon 03-Jan-05 18:20:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fran1 Mon 03-Jan-05 18:37:50

You don't say how old he is. But we took our dd on a 16 hr flight when she was 9 mths old, and i was amazed, it all ran very smoothly. I bought lots of new small toys to have in hand luggage. i bf her to sleep and then able to transfer into the baby chairs they give you. The worst part was when she wanted to crawl up and down the aisle and tug everyones trouser legs but it was fine i just did several circuits of the plane that flight!!

Pool - just don't expect to get a tan. We had use of beach and pool, and had relatives with us, but i still didn't lay back on a sunbed once! Bit of a shock to the system after many years of hols child free, but it was fun, and we had some nice trips out to sight see and to be honest i think dd preferred those days too.

Have a wonderful holiday,

phatcat Mon 03-Jan-05 18:40:55

How old is your ds Waswondering?

We had a villa with pool holiday when ds was 18 months and I was worried about pool safety too - we just supervised constantly - NEVER left him alone outside and put water wings on him when he was running around. It wasn't especially relaxing but it was fun and he loved going in the water by the end of the week. Don't have too high expectations of chilling out by the pool yourself!

Regarding the flight I would try and stick as closely to bedtime routine as possible - we gave ds his supper and changed him into pjs before boarding and gave him his bottle of milk as soon as we were sat down on the plane. (Milk tip for return journey - freeze the bottle the night before travel and let it defrost in your bag over the course of the day). He did settle to sleep eventually and we just took turns holding him as no spare seats - fortunately the meal didn't arrive until he was asleep so it wasn't too bad - the one not holding ds had to feed the other though as no room on lap. Make sure you have a few small toys to hand for distraction as required - maybe even a new one.

Have a great time - you'll find that you just improvise as you go along and everything will be fine.

Waswondering Mon 03-Jan-05 19:21:59

Waswondering Mon 03-Jan-05 19:24:52

Waswondering Mon 03-Jan-05 19:25:06

tassis Wed 09-Feb-05 15:20:55

Think we need an update...

Waswondering Wed 09-Feb-05 15:29:24

Laylasmum Wed 09-Feb-05 15:39:19

We kept DD's armbands on all the time when she was round the pool. she did fall in once but bobbed straight up again.

Waswondering Wed 09-Feb-05 15:41:16

Waswondering Wed 09-Feb-05 15:41:40

tassis Wed 09-Feb-05 15:47:55

Sounds lovely. Well done!

Agree re wine in the morning. Now afternoon is another matter altogether...

Waswondering Wed 09-Feb-05 15:50:50

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: