Talk

Advanced search

Motorhome holiday in Europe

(14 Posts)
Hulababy Sun 02-Jan-05 20:43:06

Just been thinking about this and whether it would be reasonable and fun for us, with a 3yo DD.

Would be early August, somewhere in Europe - maybe France or Italy. We'd fly there and hire from the country.

Maybe spend 7 or 8 days int he motor home and have rest of time in a hotel or B&B - maybe the first couple of days, and last couple of days of the holiday in the hotel.

Has anyone done a motorhome holiday? What was it like? Did you have children and how was it?

DD is fine driving around a bit as we have driven into and round France 2 or 3 times with her already on holidays.

But, I know you can hire child seats - where do they go? Where dot he passengers sit.? Most of the plans we've seen only have two seats up front - so where can a car seat go and is it safe?

And what do you do re: campsites/parking? Is it expensive to park up? Do you plug in somewhere for power? How does it all work>

You may have guessed this is a new thought and I haven't had much time to investigate fully yet!

Any hints or tips?

JanH Sun 02-Jan-05 20:46:12

Re the parking up, I was talking to some people who were washing their motorhome in the street a couple of months ago; they are equipped for the odd overnight in eg a carpark (water supply in a tank, and spare battery) but ideally you stay on a campsite with water and power hook ups (which you pay for on top of the overnight fees). You would need a good campsite directory!

happymerryberries Sun 02-Jan-05 20:47:13

Have a look at

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk

Very nice helpful people on the chatter boards who have a lot of patience with newbies and they have lots of reviews of campsites.

Hulababy Sun 02-Jan-05 20:48:07

Can you find out about campsites online and book in advance? Or do i need a book from somewhere?

Hulababy Sun 02-Jan-05 20:48:33

Cheers hmb - will explore there tomorrow.

kangasantamummy Sun 02-Jan-05 20:48:44

nzmotorhomes

we were in NZ for 6 weeks

DS was 6½ years and we had a brill time

It was part of a 3 month round the world holiday.

we took him out of school for the spring term so we taught him as we went round each day.

DH had a sabatical from his school

WE were upgraded into a 6/7 berth motorhome for free because we were going for so long.

we did freedom camping a couple of times otherwise were in campsites which were very cheap

Hulababy Sun 02-Jan-05 20:50:13

Sadly, I think NZ maybe too far for this year's trip. Would be nice though. But will have to stick to Europe I think.

kangasantamummy Sun 02-Jan-05 20:52:05

they gave us a booster seat that went in front seat although he didn't need it

there were 4 seats just behind driver with 3 pont belts also some down the back but we had that as a queen sized bed.

the seats behind driver had a table so could draw or do school work

happymerryberries Sun 02-Jan-05 20:52:26

TBH campsites in France tend to be very good and there are lots of them around. You will have a lot to choose from. The useful thing about the website I posted is that you get honest reviews from punters, which is always helpful. There are lots of guides that you can get that will give you the bare facts.

Hulababy Sun 02-Jan-05 20:54:55

Cheers hmb. DH first thought about Italy, but I think I fancy French. I know a bit more of the language too which might help, and I like the idea of DD being able to try and join in too.

So the seats in the back have seat belts then?

kangasantamummy Sun 02-Jan-05 20:55:27

we thought it was so easy not to have to unpack and pack all the time just drive up and plug in {btw for anyone else in NZ the electric and water were free well included in the cost of overnight}

Sorry don't know about europe but it is great fun

DS slept in double bed above cab which he thouyght was brill fun

how old are you chlidren?

kangasantamummy Sun 02-Jan-05 20:57:19

sorry i have just read DD is 3

Hulababy Sun 02-Jan-05 21:07:17

Do like the idea. Now have to do some surfing to find out more, and get some idea of costs.

kangasantamummy Sun 02-Jan-05 21:28:50

get automatic one or like ours a duel geared one

with huge windows so DD can see the scenery

It is such a brill holiday

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now