Talk

Advanced search

Driving through france during curfew

(31 Posts)
alyaster1 Thu 17-Dec-20 16:29:17

Hi, I'm due to drive through france on Saturday to get to spain very late that evening.
My plan was to get off the ferry and drive solidly only stopping for quick toilet breaks. France now has an 8pm curfew so I should really stop driving and check into a hotel but that seems more risky for me and the hotel staff. France has a mitigating circumstances list but we don't really fall into any category. The fine is 135 euros which although a lot of money is still probably cheaper than a hotel and all the risks. My question for anyone living in France, can they fine you multiple times on the same journey? Does anyone have any knowledge or advice on this please?

OP’s posts: |
TheHoneyBadger Thu 17-Dec-20 16:35:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SquirtleSquad Thu 17-Dec-20 16:37:05

My understanding from one of my friends who is doing the same (so I don't know this is 100% it's just what she said she had found out) is that you can be fined multiple times. If stopped and fined you are sent "home" I guess in your case you'd need to provide them with a hotel you'll be staying in if you can't prove a residence. They can then check that you are at "home" and if you aren't there can be fined again (fine increases I believe) and the same applies if you are "caught" out again.

There is a hotline you can phone run by the gov for advice on the rules - I've attached it here

LaChatte Thu 17-Dec-20 16:39:00

No no no, you can't do it. You won't get multiple fines you'll end up getting a massive fine and a prison sentence (yes seriously).

LaChatte Thu 17-Dec-20 16:40:31

You can sleep in your car though, not massively helpful I know

Clymene Thu 17-Dec-20 16:42:00

I really really wouldn't do it.

LaChatte Thu 17-Dec-20 16:46:03

€3750

notimagain Thu 17-Dec-20 17:06:06

I'd say it's very much a no and if caught it could mean a big fine.

General principal of French decrees, etc, is that if something isn't specifically listed as approved then it's not allowed...there's no wriggle room.

notimagain Thu 17-Dec-20 17:08:51

P.S.

Also O.P. have you checked the situation with regard to access to Spain from France over the Christmas period? There are reports of increased restrictions.

EurosprogBauble Thu 17-Dec-20 18:26:51

Are you able to say (vaguely) your reason for doing this journey.

Plenty of people I know have done it recently (minus the Spain bit) without problems and none of them were stopped.

notimagain Thu 17-Dec-20 18:32:38

Plenty of people I know have done it recently (minus the Spain bit) without problems and none of them were stopped.

How recently? This iteration of the curfew with it's own rule set only started on Monday night.

FWIW I was stopped by Gendarmes on a local journey during confinement one - my reasons for travel and documents were in order but I wouldn't have fancied being the wrong side of them......

NerrSnerr Thu 17-Dec-20 18:35:15

EurosprogBauble

Are you able to say (vaguely) your reason for doing this journey.

How recently?

I wouldn't risk it OP, you could get into a lot of trouble and it sounds like they are being strict.

notimagain Thu 17-Dec-20 18:38:28

Sorry I'm confusing myself.. we came out of "confinement 2" on Tuesday and any confinement 2 rules related for travel etc, went in the bin.

Tuesday night was the first one under the new rules with the 2000-0600 curfew...

Planetzog Thu 17-Dec-20 18:51:13

Just stay in a hotel it will be fine. Driving all that way without proper stops would be so tiring. You could fall asleep and crash. Surely far more dangerous and risky than staying in a hotel?

alyaster1 Fri 18-Dec-20 07:52:30

Thank you for your responses. I can see that it's better to stay in a hotel so will just do that. I wasn't trying to flout the French rules I just thought not getting out of the car was safer for everyone!!

OP’s posts: |
movingonup20 Fri 18-Dec-20 08:01:00

There is a permit system you can get if you can prove that your trip is essential. My friends have one as they are driving from the U.K. (where they live) home to the de to see an ailing parent, they had to email medical reports yesterday to get it.

pinkhousesarebest Fri 18-Dec-20 08:07:19

I imagine you’ll be on the motorway all the way though? I think that would be a lot less risky. ( I was stopped and fined akm away from our house when I had nipped our to get bread without my paperwork).
Spain are being super strict about who is hey are letting across the border but I assume you know that.

calliealbert Fri 18-Dec-20 09:21:54

No you can't do it MAN

Requinblanc Fri 18-Dec-20 09:31:33

Why on earth are you travelling if you don't have a valid reason?

EurosprogBauble Fri 18-Dec-20 10:09:50

Just to clarify, by "recently" I meant a couple of months ago when a curfew was in force but before the lockdown we have just come out of (the days and weeks seem to blend into one!)

There is now a specific attestaton for travelling during the curfew times www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Attestations-de-deplacement-couvre-feu

If you aren't travelling for one of the reasons stated then yes, you risk a fine and being sent back.

I have no idea how easy it is to just drive into Spain - maybe someone with more experience will be along.

notimagain Sat 19-Dec-20 08:53:25

I have no idea how easy it is to just drive into Spain - maybe someone with more experience will be along.

Warnings again on local French lunchtime news (FR3) that certainly crossing the Occitanie portion of the French/Spanish border (i.e; the eastern end of the line) was subject to checks/restrictions ATM and that crossing into Spain (?Andorra as well) simply for leisure purposes was not currently allowed..people were being turned back.

Rather than risk something being lost in translation I'll offer the French government/French language link below..

www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/conseils-aux-voyageurs/conseils-par-pays-destination/espagne/

EurosprogBauble Sat 19-Dec-20 12:51:55

Thanks @notimagain.

Maybe @alyaster1 will come back and tell us if they made it.

TheHoneyBadger Sat 19-Dec-20 13:06:49

movingonup20

There is a permit system you can get if you can prove that your trip is essential. My friends have one as they are driving from the U.K. (where they live) home to the de to see an ailing parent, they had to email medical reports yesterday to get it.

Do you have a link or anything for this? Thank you.

EurosprogBauble Sat 19-Dec-20 13:38:43

This is in English and had a link to download the form.

www.gouvernement.fr/en/coronavirus-covid-19

EurosprogBauble Sat 19-Dec-20 13:39:28

*has

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in