Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else due to fly to Greece ?

(54 Posts)
MrDarcysMa Wed 26-Aug-20 23:11:48

Anyone else due to fly to Rhodes ?
2 weeks time..... have until this Friday to re book flights and hotel or lose the ££.

Have no travel insurance (just expired with old bank acct and now can't find a policy that would protect us from any Covid stuff anyway)

Work would be a pain in the arse to wfh for 2 weeks If air bridge happens but it's doable at a push.

Don't know what to do!

OP’s posts: |
janinlondon Thu 27-Aug-20 10:47:55

As of yesterday, Greece was on 14 - same as Portugal. They've been more or less there for about a month.

MrDarcysMa Thu 27-Aug-20 14:35:50

Thank you. Trying to work out with the trajectory of it'll get much higher over the next few weeks.
Frustrating that they're grouping all the islands together with the mainland in the quarantine/ air bridge rules hmm

Palmtree76 Fri 28-Aug-20 13:50:24

I’m due to fly to Greece on 14/9.

we want to go desperately- we can quarantine if it comes in. We’re just worried about BA our package providers cancelling if quarantine does come in but hoping not.

They’re at 14.9 now- it’s been ok this week and not too horrendous, they’ve crept up a bit but they’d need to have some serious cases to go on the review next week. Hoping it stays off on the next review too after that!

MrDarcysMa Fri 28-Aug-20 21:34:25

Hope you get your holiday @Palmtree76 x

MrDarcysMa Mon 31-Aug-20 19:00:16

Any developments @Palmtree76 ? We rescheduled for next year as felt too risky with no travel insurance etc but hope you get to go

Palmtree76 Mon 31-Aug-20 19:03:23

@MrDarcysMa so it’s still looking pretty positive at moment. I think the cases are about 13.7 at moment when quarantine limit is 20. They’ve been managing it well so fingers crossed it lol goes ahead. If we survive this Thursday review and then the following Thursday review we will go! This week looking no issue, just got to hope
It doesn’t creep up end of next week!

ScarMatty Mon 31-Aug-20 19:15:36

BattleFace will insure you

Palmtree76 Mon 31-Aug-20 20:03:24

I’ve got travel insurance with Barclays and my bank that I’ve always had so by default I’m insured which is good

ScarMatty Mon 31-Aug-20 21:25:14

Palmtree76

I’ve got travel insurance with Barclays and my bank that I’ve always had so by default I’m insured which is good

Not saying you're wrong but I would double check!

Halifax who I bank with and where I've always had travel insurance with as a perk of the account refused to cover for anything.

Twigletgirl27 Tue 01-Sep-20 13:08:22

I'm going to Rhodes on the 12th September. I feel reasonably confident that we'll be going. I've just got my suitcase out......!

Palmtree76 Tue 01-Sep-20 14:13:17

@Twigletgirl27 I think you’ll be fine! Review this week on Thursday won’t be an issue- I’m just a bit panicky about the Thursday after if, for some awful reason cases jump up. They’ve seemed to manage them well the past two weeks so I feel pretty confident it will all be ok too!

We go to Rhodes on 16th so I’m praying for good news!

Remember to do your PLF!

Cheeseandlobster Tue 01-Sep-20 14:33:00

Can I join too? I go on the 16th and am hoping I get to go. I have joined a couple of Facebook sites for the Island I am going to which has been useful for info on infection rates etc but also for scaremongering too sadly

Palmtree76 Tue 01-Sep-20 15:32:14

Definitely look at @Benkersben on Twitter. He’s great. I’ve made my own doc to track numbers/cases too to reassure myself. It’s quite a simple calculation and I also check eody.gov.gr/category/anakoinoseis/ each day to see numbers. It’s in Greek but you can click each “date” to see the numbers in bold and it’s easy to see.

Nothing released for today yet but including cases from yesterday Greece standing at 14.0 dead on. I think it will go up a bit today but really nothing to worry about. This Thursday won’t be a problem, we’ll have a better idea about the following week by end of this week!

Palmtree76 Tue 01-Sep-20 15:33:27

@Cheeseandlobster I think you’ll be fine. If you look at the last 2 weeks of data for Greece it’s gone up and gone down. It’s not like Spain or Portugal where it’s been solid daily increases, Greece seems to have it under control....

MrDarcysMa Tue 01-Sep-20 15:47:27

I'm jealous now that you're all going and I bottled it 🤦😆😆😆

MrDarcysMa Tue 01-Sep-20 15:48:01

We had to decide last Friday though in order not to lose the money so couldn't risk it sadly.

Palmtree76 Tue 01-Sep-20 16:04:08

Only 207 cases reported for yesterday- just announced. So moves up to 14.4 cumulative cases. Well below the 20, will be fine for Thursday!

Roystonv Tue 01-Sep-20 16:05:32

Debating our Corfu trip, good to know current rate.

MrDarcysMa Tue 01-Sep-20 17:19:49

Is there an easy way to view the cumulative /20 number ? Keep googling but can't seem to find it updated anywhere

MrDarcysMa Tue 01-Sep-20 17:20:42

@Roystonv worst case scenario- are you able to quarantine on return? And do you have travel insurance that could cover any extra costs incurred ?

If yes, I would go!

Palmtree76 Tue 01-Sep-20 17:57:49

@MrDarcysMa twitter. Go view @benkersben and be posts every day. I’ll post here if you want!

Cheeseandlobster Tue 01-Sep-20 18:24:39

@Palmtree76 yes please smile

Bearbehind Tue 01-Sep-20 20:53:17

Scotland have put Greece on the quarantine list from Thursday ☹️

fluffy71 Tue 01-Sep-20 20:58:09

Also booked to go to Crete on 13th. Nicola Sturgeon has implement that the Scots have to quarantine from 4am this Thursday!

He always follows what she does irrespective of the figures, so not feeling very hopeful!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in