Talk

Advanced search

Drowning doesn't look like drowning - useful safety advice to be aware of

(19 Posts)
JoBrodie Sat 08-Aug-20 20:39:20

I posted this link a year or two ago but can't find my original post on here to bump, so a new thread it is.

slate.com/technology/2013/06/rescuing-drowning-children-how-to-know-when-someone-is-in-trouble-in-the-water.html

Drowning can be a deceptively quiet event, nothing at all like the wild thrashing and yelling depicted in TV shows or films. This article tells you what to look for - if someone isn't moving much, very quiet and unable to respond, get them out quickly or call for help.

Jo "Safety enthusiast" Brodie smile

OP’s posts: |
Fatherbrownsbicycle Sat 08-Aug-20 21:33:42

Chilling. I’m late 40’s, did life saving badges decades ago, watched teen DS do his life saving badges and still had no clue what to look out for.
Thank you.

cheeseandhambaguette Sat 08-Aug-20 21:38:41

Terrifying, I had no idea about this!

anotherwinkywinkybumbum Sat 08-Aug-20 21:39:07

I feel quite emotional after reading that.

JoBrodie Sun 09-Aug-20 13:50:12

I've also done a Buzzfeed community post (I think / hope it will have a wider reach than my blog!) which includes the drowning-aware advice and some other bits and pieces (know your fire exits, read safety advice on transport, note the emergency number to call if outside UK) www.buzzfeed.com/jobrodie/summer-safety-while-on-holiday-cxpc7cc6v6

As a child whenever we went on holiday the first thing my parents (well mostly mum) would do after check in would be to walk the route from our hotel room door to the fire exit(s). She'd read a story of someone who'd died in a hotel fire after turning left instead of right...

Jo

mosquitofeast Sun 09-Aug-20 13:52:15

terrifying

real choking is also completely silent

planningaheadtoday Sun 09-Aug-20 13:58:16

I nearly drowned as a 10 year old in a private pool.
I remember the silence. It's not possible to splash it was more trying to surface to gasp for breath then going under again. Like a bobbing apple.

Luckily I was spotted and saved by someone walking out of the changing room so had a higher view of the pool. But I can still recall the family next to me didn't help and I couldn't call out. They probably had no idea!

megletthesecond Sun 09-Aug-20 14:06:12

Thanks for the reminder Jo 👍.
We're literally heading off to the beach now. This is why I try and only use RNLI guarded stretches of beach. I like the extra eyes keeping an eye on us.

bigbluebus Sun 09-Aug-20 14:19:16

Anyone heading to the beach might also like to read up on Rip Tides too. There's been a couple of serious incidents on the Welsh coast over the last couple of weekends including a fatality.

megletthesecond Sun 09-Aug-20 14:21:18

Mine are regularly lectured on rip tides. I'm such a fun zone grin.

Thecazelets Sun 09-Aug-20 14:25:44

planningaheadtoday

I nearly drowned as a 10 year old in a private pool.
I remember the silence. It's not possible to splash it was more trying to surface to gasp for breath then going under again. Like a bobbing apple.

Luckily I was spotted and saved by someone walking out of the changing room so had a higher view of the pool. But I can still recall the family next to me didn't help and I couldn't call out. They probably had no idea!

I had two similar experiences as a child, one in a school pool and one in the sea when I got caught up in a flotation device. Terrifying, and the obliviousness of people only a few feet away has always stayed with me.

RaskolnikovsGarret Sun 09-Aug-20 14:33:06

I remember this happening to DD2, who was having a joint swimming lesson with DD1. The instructor was focusing on DD1 for a while, and missed DD2 going under until I shouted out. Scary.

jessstan2 Sun 09-Aug-20 14:39:13

This is a very good thread.

I remember nearly drowning with my small son who couldn't yet swim in a round swimming pool in Majorca. Luckily we didn't but it took a heroic effort to get to the side, I've never forgotten and I considered myself to be a reasonable swimmer. I can still picture seeing people on sunbeds around the pool, totally unconcerned.

It reminds me of that Stevie Smith poem: Not waving but drowning.

pinkbalconyrailing Sun 09-Aug-20 14:40:33

bumping this important thread.

I want to add:
teach your children to float on their backs and to tread water. that can save their live, especially in open water.

RettyPriddle Sun 09-Aug-20 14:41:51

Thank you 🙏

Sunrise234 Sun 09-Aug-20 14:54:15

Thank you for this!

I want to repeat this:

teach your children to float on their backs and to tread water. that can save their live, especially in open water.

The worst thing you can do is panic and the best thing to do is to stay calm and float on your back.

JoBrodie Sun 09-Aug-20 15:10:40

Very good point about rip tides and floating on your back, thanks - if I can work out how to edit the Buzzfeed post I will add info on those.

Another thing to be aware of (though less related to holiday travel, more birthday / Christmas presents) is the fact that small button batteries found in kids toys, games, hearing aids, thermometers, blood glucose meters etc can be fatal (or can cause serious injury) if swallowed.

The advice is to treat any missing battery (can't be found in packaging or clothing) as a medical emergency (go to A&E / ER) until a scan or check-up by a healthcare professional indicates otherwise. Harm can occur from 'flat' batteries too -
www.capt.org.uk/button-batteries
chimedblog.wordpress.com/2016/01/04/button-batteries-can-kill-if-swallowed/
• PDF lrsb.org.uk/uploads/button-battery-safety-leaflet-11.pdf

Jo

BarbaraofSeville Mon 10-Aug-20 07:17:36

The worst thing you can do is panic and the best thing to do is to stay calm and float on your back

^^ This. A ten YO boy survived an hour washed out to sea by following this advice that he'd seen on a TV programme in the last few days. If he'd have panicked or try to swim, he would have probably exhausted himself and drowned.

JoBrodie Thu 13-Aug-20 14:46:55

I've reposted the original Buzzfeed post on my blog and added the other suggestions - here brodiesnotes.blogspot.com/2020/08/summer-safety-while-on-holiday_13.html

Buzzfeed decided that the post was in conflict with their user agreement and community rules (!) and deleted the post along with my entire account, which seems a bit overkill. Baffled at the decision... but they are not getting their mitts on my blog :-)

Jo

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in