Talk

Advanced search

I need an adventure...with a 4 year old!

(14 Posts)
GoBackToPartyCity Thu 06-Aug-20 21:01:14

I have a savings plan that matures next year and is expected to pay out about £2.5k. I had planned to put this towards a New England road trip for next year but I just don’t feel comfortable booking a long haul trip at the minute.

So, as much as I love summer holidays...I’m bored of them. I feel like I need to replace my dream road trip with something equally exciting in Europe. Is this possible?

There would be 3 of us...me, DH and 4 year old DS. I’ve looked at Center parcs in the Netherlands but the accommodation looks a bit dated and like prison blocks. There’s a new site in Belgium but it’s just not grabbing me, although I like the look of driving to efteling.

Is there anyone that’s done an European road trip with kids in tow? What was your itinerary? I just feel like I need a bit of excitement and something to look forward to after a really flat few months. Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
sleepismysuperpower1 Thu 06-Aug-20 21:07:17

I would really like to do this Nordic road trip at some point, it might suit what you are looking for?
www.wandermum.co.uk/nordic-road-trip-itinerary-oslo-stockholm-with-kids/

GoBackToPartyCity Thu 06-Aug-20 21:16:00

Ooh DH would absolutely love that. Thanks, that’s definitely one to look into!

KoalasandRabbit Thu 06-Aug-20 22:45:23

Kids are older but we did Finland, Sweden and Denmark, Sweden and Norway and Italy before hiring cars.

Finland we did brown bears in the wild at Arola bears, then white water rafting, summer tobogan run at Ruka amongst other things. Stayed at a Angry Birds hotel. Lots of reindeer everywhere, more reindeer than cars.

Norway and Sweden, started off at alpaca B&B then went on to Norway incl fjords / Alesund and then down more towards Bergen - did viking museum with ax throwing and boat tours and moose tour and canoeing with beavers. Norway was spectactular but crazily expensive.

Sweden and Denmark was a while back but including Tivoli in Copenhagen which kids loved and Stcokholm and countryside just north of it.

Italy we've done Venice, Florence, Rome, Sicily, Amalfi Coast, Arabella Island on a few trips - we love it and they love kids.

minnieok Thu 06-Aug-20 22:53:59

We did Italy via europa parc, highly recommend. Europa parc is not far from Strasbourg then drive through Black Forest to the German castles, through Austria down to the lakes, over to Venice then back through Germany. We took 16 days including a week at the beach in Italy (site with kids clubs etc).

cataclysmiclife Fri 07-Aug-20 06:55:22

Have a look at Beekse Bergen and get a safari lodge

ScrapThatThen Fri 07-Aug-20 07:34:00

For anyone who comes on your thread wanting an adventure with little ones this year in the UK I think this looks cute, 'camping with dinosaurs' near Bath. The Dino's are good, look on their social media. I would definitely have done this but I don't think my 15 and 17 year old would come. grin www.avonvalley.co.uk/services/camping-with-dinosaurs/

GoBackToPartyCity Fri 07-Aug-20 10:38:22

These are all great ideas! Beekse Bergen looks fab!

BrieAndChilli Fri 07-Aug-20 11:03:03

Last year we got the eurotunnel, drove into France and stayed over, then we drove across to Switzerland and stopped in Geneva, had cheese fondue, shooed at the Swiss Army knife store, went to CERN and stayed over there. We then drove over the top of the alps via the grand San Bernard pass where we stopped for lunch and then done into the Aosta valley. We worked there years and years ago so had a mooch around the village we lived in and then drove to Milan where we stayed over again. We then drove to Caorle near Venice where we stayed in a lovely eurocamp right on the beach with amazing pools etc. Stayed there a week and then coming home we drove through Austria, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium and France. Stopping over a couple of times.
Kids loved it

threesecrets Fri 07-Aug-20 13:48:06

This is exciting

GoBackToPartyCity Fri 07-Aug-20 14:10:39

@brieandchilli did you do all that in your own car or rent one? I’d drive to Switzerland for the cheese fondue alone!

BrieAndChilli Fri 07-Aug-20 14:39:47

We took our own car. We have a 7 seater trail so with the back seats down the boot is large enough to Chuck all our stuff in. Was the first time I’ve driven abroad so think it was easier being in my own car that I know than trying to drive a left hand drive strange car on top of driving on the other side of the road!

BrieAndChilli Fri 07-Aug-20 14:42:48

I was worried that the kids would go crazy in the car with all the driving but they loved it and were fine (electronic devices helped!!) although they played lots of battle ships and guess who and did lots of drawing as well.
It was great because we could just stop when we wanted for a leg stretch/admire a great view etc. On the way home we passed the battle of Waterloo so decided to stop and have a look around. Something we didn’t plan on doing and wouldn’t have been able to do if we have flown straight to our destination.
The kids also liked the macdonalds at the various motorway services and seeing all the different burgers you can get in different countries!

rbe78 Fri 07-Aug-20 14:50:24

Hire a camper van would be my top tip! Preferably one with a pop-top with a bed in the top for your DC, or as he's little a hammock bed across the front seats.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in