Talk

Advanced search

La bise and COVID - anyone know the score?

(6 Posts)
IAmTheWaiting Wed 05-Aug-20 17:00:52

Really daft q but we are just off to France where we go regularly and know a lot of people all of whom, in normal circumstances, would expect to be greeted with 'la bise' when we see them.

What's the score at the moment, will it still be expected and will we offend / seem rude if we don't?

OP’s posts: |
Crumpetswithbutter Wed 05-Aug-20 17:03:23

I live in France and I have not been doing the bise. It's clear from the current guidance that we shouldn't be doing it. That doesn't stop some people, of course ... As the infection rates are shooting up in some areas here, I wouldn't worry about offending people.

Crumpetswithbutter Wed 05-Aug-20 17:04:50

Oh and si jamais more towns and villages are introducing mandatory masks in the street so keep an eye out for the rules changing wherever you're going.

doyounothavegoogle Wed 05-Aug-20 17:05:08

No, you absolutely won't seem rude if you don't and you are very sensible not to.

Some of the locals around here still persist in doing so amongst themselves, but they are very much in the minority.

IAmTheWaiting Wed 05-Aug-20 18:34:39

Thank you that's reassuring, not least for us but you'd think they wouldn't want any of our random UK germs either!! They are real country folk though so I suspect will still be doing it...

OP’s posts: |
graywall Thu 06-Aug-20 09:04:49

Yes, agree with all the above. I'm in France and we have not been doing the bise since March. Even my neighbour who used to do 4 has stopped... Some people are doing the elbow or foot touching thing which is a little weird.... but most people are just doing an awkward hello hand waving thing

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in