Talk

Advanced search

Baby passport picture with own phone

(18 Posts)
Yadiya Tue 28-Jul-20 23:28:07

Hello

I am trying to get my baby's picture taken myself as it's too big of a walk to get it done somewhere
Does anyone know how fussy they are with them and what actually happens to your application if they reject the pic. Do you just send in a new one

I managed to get one of baby looking straight into the camera. There's just a tiny bot of shadow on one side of face, not really notable..

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Tue 28-Jul-20 23:35:47

Rules for babies/children

Photos of babies and children

Children must be on their own in the picture. Babies must not be holding toys or using dummies.

Children under 6 do not have to be looking directly at the camera or have a plain expression.

Children under one do not have to have their eyes open. You can support their head with your hand, but your hand must not be visible in the photo.

Children under one should lie on a plain light-coloured sheet. Take the photo from above.

Ginfilledcats Tue 28-Jul-20 23:40:34

We did it recently (4 weeks ago) for our now 7 week old online. Took maybe 30 pics before finally getting one accepted- but she's not looking directly at camera.

Got the passport back last week.

Yadiya Wed 29-Jul-20 10:04:36

@Ginfilledcats Thank you

When you say accepted, do you mean the arrow pointing at green
I only ever managed to get it to yellow-fair and was considering using that as it looks really good to me

Yadiya Wed 29-Jul-20 10:05:57

@dementedpixie thank you for the info, but I have read that already
Was wondering what happens if they reject it

TuckMyWin Wed 29-Jul-20 10:08:05

My husband's passport photo was rejected a couple of times before they accepted it. Assuming you do the online application, they just bounce the application back to you and you supply a new one, it's not a huge fuss.

dementedpixie Wed 29-Jul-20 10:09:01

Yeah, you just do a new picture if that one gets rejected

superram Wed 29-Jul-20 10:09:09

We got good but it was still rejected. I just paid for it to be done.

Yadiya Wed 29-Jul-20 10:35:52

Great. Thank you all
Yes I am doing it online

I will just submit it then and see what happens, if it's just a matter of supplying a new picture.

Yadiya Wed 29-Jul-20 11:38:41

@Ginfilledcats
@superram
Did you send your passports as well or just the birth certificate?

MorningManiacMusic Wed 29-Jul-20 11:42:32

They are extremely strict on things like the head filling 75% of the photo space (or something) but it's much easier to get it right than it used to be. I had dd's second ppt photo rejected twice when she was 6 (done by professional ppt photographer) Just done next one on my own phone and it was accepted straightaway.

dementedpixie Wed 29-Jul-20 11:43:38

You put your passport number on the application. You don't send your passport.

Yadiya Wed 29-Jul-20 12:05:09

@dementedpixie Yes I did
I just wasn't sure if they wanted it sent as well

dementedpixie Wed 29-Jul-20 12:12:28

No they don't need it. Just the full birth certificate is required

KurtansCurtains Wed 29-Jul-20 12:33:34

I did my son's passport on line (he was 15 though). I took his photo on my phone and if it's not good enough, I seem to think it tells you straight away. I did eventually get a good enough pic to use, maybe took 4 or 5 go's.

Yadiya Wed 29-Jul-20 14:10:07

Great! Thank you

DogInATent Wed 29-Jul-20 19:16:56

Make sure it's a plain sheet without any tint or colour. I took my own photo for my passport this year and it was rejected twice. The automated message said it wasn't light enough. Thankfully I had a phone call within a minute of submitting the second version from a very helpful chap at the passport office telling me it was the colour (v. slightly green tinged) of the wall behind me that wasn't neutral enough. He must have had my renewal in his work queue. Replaced the wall with a sheet of white card and it passed straight away.

Ginfilledcats Thu 30-Jul-20 18:29:23

Yeah we used the Fair photo couldn't get into the green zone

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in