Talk

Advanced search

Flights - ex partner advice

(38 Posts)
summersolstice43 Thu 16-Jul-20 09:32:55

This is going to be long winded so I apologise now.

I booked a package holiday in August last year with a travel company, just me and my DD. Then Thomas Cook went under so I had to re-book the flights myself, at this time I was seeing someone and he suggested he'd come too with his own DD so I booked flights for the 4 of us on my credit card and he paid me back monthly. We then broke up but he decided he would still go with his DD as it was only the fight we were sharing and they are non refundable. He was going to book his own hotel which has never happened.

We are supposed to go in a few weeks, Ive had an email from the company I booked the flights with to say flights are going ahead and that if we cancel we wont get any money back as they are non refundable so I messaged him and asked for his passport details. He has now messaged me back saying he hasn't got his passports yet, spun a yarn about his problems etc and is basically saying he wants his money back. I've told him its non refundable and he paid me and I'd booked the flights so theres nothing I can do about it, he's expecting me to go through my own insurance which only covers me and my DD. The flight company are wanting all passport details otherwise they wont release the tickets so do I cancel his flights all together as he has no intention of going? Im worried he gets a solicitor to demand the money back from me even though he's the one not able to go and I've already paid for the flights which I've explained to him.

OP’s posts: |
onalongsabbatical Thu 16-Jul-20 09:40:23

I don't now if this would work but here's what I would do. Contact flight company and ask to separate the booking, give details for yours and DD's passports and get tickets out of them. Then if that works, ignore him. I don't think he's got a leg to stand on OP. So the only issue is you getting your tickets. Awful. Hope it works out. You don't owe him any money!

summersolstice43 Thu 16-Jul-20 09:46:02

@onalongsabbatical Thanks for your advice but I already contacted the travel company when we broke up and asked if I could separate the flights, they told me the only way to do that was for me to cancel his seats and for him to re-book but Id need to pay and admin fee to cancel and then loose out the cost of the initial booking as it is non refundable. I was hoping to upload the passport details and book our own seats this week so its done and dusted but looks like I'm going to have to cancel his flights all together now.

onalongsabbatical Thu 16-Jul-20 09:51:25

Jeez that sucks. Ok - here's what I'd probably do now - cancel but not give him back everything, deduct your expenses (cancelation fees whatever). He's the reason you're losing out and you're only doing to him what the travel t&cs are doing to you. Again, what's he going to do? Take you to small claims? I doubt it TBH.

summersolstice43 Thu 16-Jul-20 09:55:46

@onalongsabbatical I cant give him back anything if I cancel, its non refundable no matter what. He's not insured so he cant claim off that either. I've looked into FAQ's and stuff on the company website after Id contacted them and basically I either pay admin fee to cancel his 2 seats or upload all passport numbers which he doesn't have, no passport numbers means no tickets.

MidnightCitrus Thu 16-Jul-20 09:55:56

keep it all on record and repeat
Ive had an email from the company I booked the flights with to say flights are going ahead and that if we cancel we wont get any money back as they are non refundable

If you want to go, then you need to provide your passport details.

If he doesnt want to go, and they are not refunding, then its not your problem
Im worried he gets a solicitor to demand the money back from me even though he's the one not able to go and I've already paid for the flights which I've explained to him.

Let him try - I doubt anyone worth the money will take this

Do you have conversations on record (email? texts?) about booking for him and him paying?

MidnightCitrus Thu 16-Jul-20 10:00:31

dont cancel - dont do anything until he asks you to

summersolstice43 Thu 16-Jul-20 10:02:35

@MidnightCitrus Yes I've saved all his messages on WhatsApp and also have the emails from the flight company saying it was booked as non refundable which I have already screen shot (minus the booking reference numbers) and sent to him. I was a bit silly as I was desperate to get replacement flights when Thomas Cook went under so I got the first ones I could find for the same dates and ended up having no cover at all. Many lessons learnt.

onalongsabbatical Thu 16-Jul-20 10:02:59

dont cancel - dont do anything until he asks you to but she can't get the tickets released without his passport details - which of course he's not giving her. So she has to cancel in order to get her own refund.

summersolstice43 Thu 16-Jul-20 10:03:26

If he doesn't go and I don't cancel his seats I cant go as they need all passport numbers before they release the tickets

onalongsabbatical Thu 16-Jul-20 10:04:22

Ah sorry ignore me I missed that there's no refund on offer. All you can do is write it off. And hate him forever!

OhLookHeKickedTheBall Thu 16-Jul-20 10:08:33

This sucks but if you want to go Vance his flights and pay the fee. Don't give him a penny back though. His own fault for not getting his own insurance or bothering with passports until now.

MidnightCitrus Thu 16-Jul-20 10:08:42

Are you still going? sorry - i thought you weren't going. (where are you going?)

How late can you leave it to give the passport numbers? I would wait til the last minute - give him the option of providing you with his passport numbers (and let him know the last date), and if he doesnt then cancel his.

How can they charge you to cancel though - thats disgusting

OhLookHeKickedTheBall Thu 16-Jul-20 10:08:53

Or cancel his flights. Not sure where Vance came from

MadeForThis Thu 16-Jul-20 10:12:09

Send him a message saying that as he has 2 days/ week etc to confirm that he will have a passport and will fly. If he hasn't confirmed by that date then the flights will be cancelled.

summersolstice43 Thu 16-Jul-20 10:14:15

Yes I'm still going, if I don't I loose every penny I've paid as I stupidly booked with Opodo and they are not protected. We're going to Greece and theres only a few weeks before we go, his deadline date is tomorrow, he's told me he wont have the passports in time and also he has no accommodation, transfers, insurance, spending money etc etc so he's defiantly not going.

I think the only option I have is to cancel his flights so I can still go. I just don't want him taking me to court or been able to get any money out of me, not even sure if he could take me to court over this?

summersolstice43 Thu 16-Jul-20 10:14:59

I've messaged him and said that I will cancel his flights if he is definitely not going, still waiting for him to read the message.

merrylittleway Thu 16-Jul-20 10:20:30

Definitely email/message him and get a response, or a non response to a deadline so that he cannot complain when you cancel them.
Our flights for mid July (should be on holiday this week!) were cancelled with just 1.5 weeks notice, so they still might end up cancelling them in August although it looks like more and more are going ahead.

FelicityPike Thu 16-Jul-20 10:28:14

How much is going to cost you to cancel their flights?
I would bill him for that cost.

Mumto1andthetinybun Thu 16-Jul-20 10:29:52

Sounds like he's trying it on. He surely can't expect someone else's insurance to pay for his flights.

summersolstice43 Thu 16-Jul-20 10:33:28

@FelicityPike That's a good idea actually, I think its about £60. I paid the interest on my CC while I was waiting for him to pay me back too so he go away with that one.

@Mumto1andthetinybun He even text a few weeks ago asking if he could stay with us in the same hotel, I told him I didn't even want him in the same resort then he went on about not knowing the area and was hoping Id show him around. I replied "sorry but its my holiday and I'm not a tour guide, you're a fully grown man get on with it".

Mumto1andthetinybun Thu 16-Jul-20 10:37:34

Is he wanting to get back together?
Or do you think he was hoping for a mostly free holiday/ free childcare for his DD from you while he buggers off at night and enjoys himself?

I do wonder if he would suddenly get the passport information if you turned round and said that he could stay in your hotel.

summersolstice43 Thu 16-Jul-20 10:43:29

@Mumto1andthetinybun
He knows there is no chance of us getting back together, I was stupid to go there in the first place and he's a liar so no way. More of a free holiday and free childcare which is never going to happen. Yes I think you're right, it would be a miracle that they all of a sudden arrived shock

MidnightCitrus Thu 16-Jul-20 10:49:12

sorry but its my holiday and I'm not a tour guide, you're a fully grown man get on with it".

I love it!! stay strong - when is the cut off for cancelling his flight

summersolstice43 Thu 16-Jul-20 10:51:45

@MidnightCitrus I've got to the point where I've had enough of his bullshit.

I've told him the end of this week as I need to print tickets etc but I'm not 100% sure with the travel company.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in