Talk

Advanced search

Child passport renewal angst

(32 Posts)
goldendog Sat 04-Jul-20 12:32:41

Until the bringing of last week the passport office was saying you should only apply in an emergency. The rules have now changed so I applied online 9 days ago for DC’s renewal. The old passport was received at the passport office 7 days ago (signed for) but it’s not yet been scanned on the system.
We have been offered a week in a friend’s house in France at the beginning of August. I’m happy to go via the Eurotunnel. But will the passport be here in time?! Has anyone else renewed recently? I’m feeling stressed that it won’t arrive in 4 weeks!

OP’s posts: |
EwwSprouts Sat 04-Jul-20 12:36:19

DS's online renewal was submitted beginning of April & new passport arrived mid-June. There were no queries on it. Sorry, not what you wanted to hear.

springlike Sat 04-Jul-20 12:43:07

My DS's passport took 3 months from March to June. However, two friend's children, who both applied early June, got them back within 3 weeks. I think you will be fine as they seem to have now caught up.

May09Bump Sat 04-Jul-20 12:43:33

My son's took 10 days to get scanned on - remember they are probably limiting staff and may only count work days as Mon-Friday. I got it yesterday - took two weeks total including a photo issue.

1stMrsF Sun 05-Jul-20 08:04:15

I'm in exactly the same situation... crossing everything,,,

Pootle40 Sun 05-Jul-20 14:47:51

HM passport office received my sons old passport on 11th June and txt me on Thursday 2nd July that his new passport had been dispatched. Although it's not arrived yet so hopefully tomorrow. Not much longer than normal I'd say

WrongKindOfFace Sun 05-Jul-20 14:56:39

They have sped up a bit. They have crowd sourced waiting times here: twitter.com/passportwaiting?lang=en

peppapigonaloop Sun 05-Jul-20 17:47:00

I just renewed two of my children’s I think it took 2-3 weeks from finishing the online application to the new ones arriving here

Pootle40 Mon 06-Jul-20 16:25:36

Arrived today so 11th June-6th July for us

Sageadvice21 Mon 06-Jul-20 19:31:24

Not quite the same but a new child's passport took just over 4 weeks for us, with identity being verified & supporting docs sent off the same day as the application was made! Applied at the beginning of mine & passport came back at the end of last week.

Sageadvice21 Mon 06-Jul-20 19:31:53

*june not mine

BrieAndChilli Mon 06-Jul-20 19:34:46

It will probably depend on which passport office yours has been sent to (some may have staff shortages or not be able to fit as many staff in due to layout of building etc) obviously people can’t work from home issuing passports - massive security risk!!

FrancesV83 Tue 07-Jul-20 18:09:18

Hi OP, I’m in the same boat as you! I have applied for both my sons passports on the 22nd June and they’ve received my documents (on Friday and Saturday) but not heard anything since. Due to go on holiday on the 22nd July.

goldendog Wed 08-Jul-20 18:13:05

Thanks for the replies. It seems there’s a real variation in the time taken! I finally got a text today saying that the old passport has been scanned (11 days after it was received by the passport office).
Now keeping everything crossed for swift progress. I really feel for those of you in the same boat - it’s nerve wracking!

Mammawilson Thu 09-Jul-20 18:13:50

I applied for my first adult passport and daughters first child passport 22nd of April and still waiting. Partner sent of his renewal around the same time and had that back in less then 3 weeks. I travel at the begining of August so i am very streesed at the moment

Shecanmoveinanydirection Fri 10-Jul-20 14:32:51

Which passport office have the speedy people and the slow people sent their documents too? I have just sent mine to Glasgow and now waiting very nervously.

Sedona123 Fri 10-Jul-20 17:05:00

My new passport was processed by Durham, and only took about a week. DS's was processed by Newport and took 6 weeks. Both sent off the same day.

FrancesV83 Fri 10-Jul-20 19:07:19

My passport took 2 weeks and was processed in Durham, both my sons are currently being processed at Durham, just over 2 weeks so far. I’m due to travel on the 22nd. Not holding out much hope.

Shecanmoveinanydirection Fri 10-Jul-20 19:46:26

Thank you! I can feel your pain. Hope it arrives soon.

1stMrsF Sat 11-Jul-20 08:52:55

Received texts confirming receipt - took 6 days from delivery to Peterborough and 7 days from delivery to Durham. This happened on Wed/Thurs nothing since. I have now booked travel for 2 August so still biting my nails!

bettsbattenburg Sat 11-Jul-20 08:58:40

I think they should add on unexpired time to new passports, that way it avoids the rush at peak or busy times like now.

mackerella Sat 11-Jul-20 15:41:58

We sent off DD's to Peterborough on 16 June and it was printed on 1 July and returned a few days later. We didn't make any claims about urgency or anything, so we were pleasantly surprised by how quickly it was turned around!

lostinlego Sat 11-Jul-20 15:48:14

Ours took a week to register at Peterborough, then 10 days more for it to be approved and sent so less than 3 weeks in total. That was the middle of June.

goldendog Tue 14-Jul-20 09:55:49

A quick update! I was messaged yesterday saying that the passport application has been approved and sent for printing. So it’s taken 17 days from delivery of the old passport to get to this stage. Fingers crossed it will arrive in time for 1st August after all smile

FrancesV83 Tue 14-Jul-20 10:34:27

@goldendog Can I ask which passport office is dealing with yours?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in