Talk

Advanced search

Travel to Singapore - Australia and back again

(8 Posts)
changeoflife Tue 02-Jun-20 21:04:50

I have flights booked since last October for a trip to Australia via Singapore in the summer. Due to depart on 20th July. Travelling for the most part with Singapore Airlines although the flights were booked via a Travel Agent.

Singapore Airlines have updated their website and said ALL flight not on their scheduled list are eligible for a refund. My flights are not listed so are therefore deemed cancelled although they are still showing as "confirmed" if I view through the Manage my Booking option on their website.

I have spoken to Singapore Airlines and they said that I am eligible for a refund via my travel agent through their Covid19 Waiver Policy but they cannot issue the refund as I didn't book directly through them. I have to contact my travel agent.

Which I have done and they say I am not eligible for a refund as my flight status is "confirmed". Singapore Airlines says this doesn't matter I am eligible as my flights were booked before 15th March.

But the travel agent says I am not eligible. Does anyone have any advise please on what I can do next? I feel like I'm going round in circles and I would like a refund as the flights were a lot of money!!

OP’s posts: |
LeGrandBleu Tue 02-Jun-20 21:19:04

Do you have a consumer protection body in UK? I am in Australia (and by the way borders are still closed and likely to remain so to European countries) and we have something ACCC (Australian consumer something) which has been dealing with this kind of issues for Australians. I think in UK , you can find some guidance on your next steps here www.which.co.uk/news/2020/04/coronavirus-travel-agents-breaking-the-law-by-refusing-or-delaying-cancelled-package-holiday-refunds/

onetwothreeadventure Tue 02-Jun-20 21:20:31

I'd try sending the travel agent link with info from Singapore airlines website. Get response in writing with a reason why they are refusing to cancel/refund.
Tell them you will be making a complaint with ATOL/ABTA (whoever regulates them, it should be on website) to see if that prompts a better response.
You could also try a chargeback through credit card and check your travel insurance terms.

BlueLadybird Tue 02-Jun-20 21:23:19

Could you ask Singapore Airlines when they will officially cancel the flights? It seems like that will be the trigger for you getting a refund from the travel agent?

changeoflife Tue 02-Jun-20 22:24:18

Thank you. I have emailed the travel agent and attached a copy of their scheduled flights showing that my flights are not listed to operate along with Singapore Airlines statement that says "if your flight is not listed then it will be cancelled". I'll see what they reply.

I will also contact SA again and ask when they expect the flight status to change to cancelled although I did mention this when on the phone to them and they said it was irrelevant as under their terms and conditions my Booking is eligible for a full refund (booked before 15th March, due to depart before 31st July and has an SQ flight number). It just has to be issued by the travel agent.

I haven't researched the credit card option but I will do, thank you!

Flowersaremylove Fri 05-Jun-20 14:36:28

I had a flight leaving Singapore on the 31st July and arriving in Brisbane, it was cancelled 😢 (was flying with Qantas) they are being nightmare about giving me my voucher code so I can re book

I feel your pain x

changeoflife Sat 06-Jun-20 11:22:28

Having spent the week fighting my corner with the Travel Agent, spending hours on the phone and many, many emails later the TA has finally conceded that I do qualify for a refund!! It has been painful. It's not over yet as I suspect the refund could take many weeks if not months to materialise but at least I seem to have made some progress!!

LeGrandBleu Sat 06-Jun-20 22:47:08

Great update!! Well done for persevering !!!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in