Talk

Advanced search

Where have you been this weekend?

(15 Posts)
reasonableme Sun 31-May-20 07:37:21

The online news is full of pictures of people flocking to the beaches. Tbh, the weather is gorgeous and it's hard to resist the temptation.

However I have not gone anywhere other than the local parks. It seems the public toilets are still not open and the cafes/ restaurants are closed too. Has anyone managed to go out somewhere nice this weekend? What are your experiences? Do you suggest going to the beach?

TIA

OP’s posts: |
Betty98 Sun 31-May-20 19:58:47

I live on a stretch of the south coast with lots of nice beaches. Our family has a beach hut on a smaller stoney beach and have been using it for the last couple of weeks while the weather has been nice. I’ve not been but they’ve reported that it isn’t too busy down there. I guess maybe because it’s stoney and there are bigger sandy beaches close by?

Funf Sun 31-May-20 21:28:47

We only go to places the majority don't go to, or go early evening as people go home

Aramox Sun 31-May-20 21:30:05

Out into the country for a walk. Definitely not the beach. Pee behind a tree.

monkeyonthetable Sun 31-May-20 21:30:52

I've been to a hill a short drive away to walk with household members, and some woods locally to walk with a friend for the first time in ten weeks. And home.

Cheeseycheeseycheesecheese Sun 31-May-20 21:32:51

My house, parked on my inlaws drive and went for a walk in their fenland town. We then sat on the wall with dcs and they sat in the porch. Was nice to see them in person for the first time since lockdown.

bigchris Sun 31-May-20 21:33:33

I haven't been to the beach although it's 20 minutes drive away

When I do will walk along it , not sit down and have a day there but to be honest I'd not do that anyway

AnyFucker Sun 31-May-20 21:36:19

At work sad

chillied Sun 31-May-20 21:39:12

Sainsbury's queue
My garden

TimeWastingButFun Sun 31-May-20 21:45:38

Mostly In the garden like the last 10 weeks... pool is out and the weather is glorious. We've been on lots of walks in the fields next to our house and feeling so lucky to have it on our doorstep. Really not wanting to mingle with the crowds yet...

BarbaraofSeville Mon 01-Jun-20 09:59:20

We only go to places the majority don't go to, or go early evening as people go home

That's my MO even during normal times, apart from I always go early, before everyone else, rather than in the evening. Can't be doing with crowds and queues.

I even went to one of the massively oversubscribed NT places on the Saturday that was free and everywhere got massively overcrowded. I got there just as it was opening, had a look around the site and then went walking further afield. When I arrived back early afternoon, it was absolutely heaving, gridlocked etc and I just got in my car and went home.

But mostly during lockdown, I've been walking in the local hills, woods and fields because I'm lucky enough to live on the edge of greenbelt so have lots of lovely walks from my doorstep. I haven't even bothered driving anywhere for 'better' walks as I've really enjoyed what's been available locally without having to bother driving anywhere and then worry about the toilet etc.

It's at least 75 mins drive to the beaches from where I am, and there's not much in the way of service stations along the way so I'd worry about toilet availability. I'm happy to wait until later in the year.

WhatHaveIFound Mon 01-Jun-20 10:05:52

30 miles on my bike on Saturday and another 25 yesterday. Hardly saw anyone apart from my DH though we chatted briefly to another cyclist about the clear skies.

I looked at the NT website when i'd had an email about booking parking spaces and decided it would probably be too busy for my liking.

WhatHaveIFound Mon 01-Jun-20 10:08:12

Should add the countryside we were in (North Yorkshire) was beautiful.

SJaneS48 Tue 02-Jun-20 11:51:22

Ashdown Forest (not very busy), the next village’s rec (busier than usual) and the grounds at Knole (ridiculously busy). Had some nice picnics!

mencken Tue 02-Jun-20 20:02:50

last weekend would have been the end of half-term. I would not have gone near a beach or similar if you'd paid me in normal times, and certainly not at the moment.

this week would have been wonderful. Oh well...

plenty of dirty scum about given the state places were left in. If that's how they leave the foreign beaches that people would normally be on, then it is no wonder we aren't a popular bunch.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in