Talk

Advanced search

Passport - anyone know the turnaround time? Have I left it too late for half term?

(15 Posts)
Smithy Tue 18-Sep-07 21:42:09

DH wants to go abroad for half term (nothing like a lot of notice!). My passport expired 6 years ago shock and ds1 and ds2 have never had passports. What are the chances of getting them sorted and back in time? Don't want to risk booking anything and can't access the online website.......
Help!
TIA
Smithy

emkana Tue 18-Sep-07 21:44:10

You can get them done on the same day if you want to, but it will cost you.

Or there's a medium-quick service I think - 2 weeks?

fishie Tue 18-Sep-07 21:45:23

when is half term? (i have a smaller child). why can't you get into website?

i applied for renewal for me and new one for ds in july, both came within about 3 weeks even at such a busy time. but i did initial bit online, which i am sure makes it quicker. dp renewed with that silly checking thing at post office in spring and about the same time but extra expense. god i'll be nearly 50 for the next one.

Smithy Tue 18-Sep-07 22:07:44

Half term is 20th October.
I think the website is down?
www.passport.gov.uk

ChasingSquirrels Tue 18-Sep-07 22:08:57

dh's renewal came within 10 days in july, ds2's came back within a couple of weeks (last july).

busywithIzzy Tue 18-Sep-07 22:10:08

I applied for dc first passport through post office check & send in August and they were back in a week.

ebaldy Tue 18-Sep-07 22:14:38

Hi there I think you may be alright, have just renewed my passport and got it back within a week. I filled out the form on the website and then they posted it to me and all you have to do is sign it and send it back with payment and photos.
Hope it all goes well and you get your holiday.
smile

Jas Tue 18-Sep-07 22:24:40

If you have more than 3 weeks, they say use check and send . I did in August, with just over three weeks to spare and got them all back in 7 days, despite the postal strike.

scienceteacher Tue 18-Sep-07 22:33:21

Half-term is 5/6 weeks away. You should be fine with normal processing. I got a new passport this year and it took less than two weeks. The method I used was to fill the form in online (not possible with check and send).

callmeovercautious Tue 18-Sep-07 22:38:02

Normal processing will be fine, DD came back in 12 days in July, but do it now as the prices go up at the beginning of Oct.

You will probably need someone professional to sign the forms, get your DH to get someone on the board at work to do it.

Get photos done at a shop rather than a booth so you know they are right first time.

You will need Birth Certificates as well.

HTH

Kaloo20 Tue 18-Sep-07 22:41:03

I applied for a renewal 10 days ago and have been in possession of new passport for 5 days already. I was stunned at the efficiency and also when I phoned up how quickly they found my passport application and could tell me exactly where it was (with courier being delivered that day!!). Only held for 30 seconds to get connected as well

Not sure if it will take longer for first passports as mine had expired by 3 days when I renewed

10/10 to the passport office

Novacane Fri 21-Sep-07 11:57:25

I did cheack and send in the post offfice and got it back 8 days later.

Novacane Fri 21-Sep-07 11:58:30

check

GrumpyOldHorsewoman Fri 21-Sep-07 12:09:46

DEFO check and send at the Post Office. Got mine back in 6 days!

geordiemacminx Fri 21-Sep-07 14:47:17

sent application for ds first passport away last tues, normal first class post, no check and send or anything, got it back on saturday, so 4 days!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now