Talk

Advanced search

Should DS be going to Tenerife?

(12 Posts)
Whenisithometime Fri 13-Mar-20 08:14:50

Hi

DS is meant to be going to Tenerife in mid April as part of a trip with his college.

He will be staying for one week. We don’t even know what hotel he is meant to be staying in.

With all this coronavirus stuff going on, should DS just pull out? His college haven’t cancelled the trip (yet) but DS is adamant he is healthy and “won’t” get coronavirus and that he is still going.

Should he err on the side of caution on this one?

OP’s posts: |
ineedaholidaynow Fri 13-Mar-20 08:16:05

Aren’t foreign school trips being cancelled?

Whenisithometime Fri 13-Mar-20 08:16:37

@ineedaholidaynow I thought they were cancelled but this one seems to still be going ahead. I don’t understand why

AllThatGlistensIs Fri 13-Mar-20 08:17:20

The government announced yesterday that all school international trips are banned, presumably that will include colleges as well.

Whenisithometime Fri 13-Mar-20 08:18:38

I’m in Northern Ireland if that helps. I’m not sure if it is different here. Would have thought it would be the same here as GB

ineedaholidaynow Fri 13-Mar-20 08:21:06

Looking at the wording again, it says advises against not banned.

BarbaraofSeville Fri 13-Mar-20 14:27:01

Maybe they mean up to a certain age when they say 'school trips'?

If it's sixth form/further education college, then he's probably old enough to make up his own mind, as long as he appreciates that in the (probably very small) chance that he has to isolate in his accommodation he'll be stuck in a hotel or dorm room for two weeks.

As long as there's no foreign office guidance about not going, I'd probably be happy for him to still go. The chance of him catching anything is probably lower than it is in the UK and he's young and healthy so almost certainly won't suffer too much if he does catch coronavirus.

CurlyhairedAssassin Sat 14-Mar-20 20:13:10

and would school cover expenses if they all get stuck there?

Moot point anyway, probably, flights may still be grounded by then.

DameSylvieKrin Sat 14-Mar-20 20:16:34

Of course he shouldn’t go. If he manages to get in but cannot leave how does he pay his accommodation?
(That aside from the selfishness of it but he probably doesn’t care.)

picklemewalnuts Sat 14-Mar-20 20:17:48

I think it will be cancelled soon. You may not need to make the call.

ILikTheBred Sat 14-Mar-20 20:21:34

A lot will happen between now and mid-April. I would be very surprised if it goes ahead.

Whenisithometime Sun 15-Mar-20 16:02:53

I’m thinking his college will now cancel the trip now that flights to Spain have been stopped.

I’m hoping they will give him his deposit back

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in