Talk

Advanced search

Your top Pre-Kids Holidays!

(24 Posts)
ProseBeforeHoes Mon 02-Mar-20 16:58:21

Hi all!

I haven't seen this exact question posed before, but thought it would be an interesting discussion!

For someone who is settled with a long-term partner but isn't ready for kids yet (me!), which holiday destinations would you recommend or say are an absolute MUST for a couple to try before babies come along?

I'm aware there's nothing stopping anyone going pretty much anywhere they like with kids in toe so long as money and determination allows, but realistically, which holidays have you been on/would like to have been on that you think were really worth every penny for a couple on their own?

I want to make the most of my carefree youth!!grin Top three?

Go!

OP’s posts: |
Hazelnutlatteplease Mon 02-Mar-20 17:06:41

Las Vegas
Walt Disney world!

ProseBeforeHoes Tue 03-Mar-20 08:57:34

@Hazelnutlatteplease I do think DisneyWorld is great for all ages to be fair!

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal Tue 03-Mar-20 09:01:31

Maldives, 100%. DH and I had a luxury all-inc two weeks there in 2010 over Christmas and NY, and it was the best experience of our lives.

Hoping to repeat it in 5 years for DH's 50th!

KatharinaRosalie Tue 03-Mar-20 09:05:53

Bora Bora.

A road trip through Italy where we had no bookings, just decided randomly where to drive and found some palces to stay. Not very practical with children.

20viona Tue 03-Mar-20 09:06:17

Vegas Vegas Vegas.
Mexico 5* all Inclusive with a butler.

However your life doesn't end when you have a baby Iv got an 8 month old and we went Barcelona in October and are going New York next week! That's what grandparents are for grin

NewNameChange2020 Tue 03-Mar-20 09:10:31

Iceland. We did it pre-kids, it was amazing. We have small kids now and would love to go back, but the thought of sorting out car seats, stopping for endless wees, snacks, early bedtimes etc means it won't feasible to go back until the kids are old enough to either appreciate it with us if they are outdoors types or old enough to be left at home with family/friends for a few nights.

ProseBeforeHoes Tue 03-Mar-20 10:13:50

Some fab suggestions!

@GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal The Maldives looks amazing! I could see myself going in a shortish trip to NY.

@KatharinaRosalie I don't know much about Bora Bora but like the Maldives, looks stunning. 😍 I would want to go on at least one holiday that involved nothing but sunbathing, sea and cocktails for sure!

ProseBeforeHoes Tue 03-Mar-20 10:18:16

@20viona I actually had a short trip to Vegas when I worked as cabin crew, and enjoyed it much more that I thought I would. Not sure it would really do much for DP though.

Mexico is actually where I'm considering we should go next year! DP's parents went recently and said it was the best holiday they'd ever been on. Looks like there's a huge amount to do, too, but you can still lounge around on a Caribbean-esque beach! grin

ProseBeforeHoes Tue 03-Mar-20 10:25:49

@NewNameChange2020 I'm so glad you suggested Iceland! I've heard it's brilliant and does seem like a less kid-friendly kind of trip... though like @20viona says fab hols are still possible!

Iceland is in my top 5. smile

Socalm Tue 03-Mar-20 10:26:54

Hiking in Nepal
Bolivia
Israel
Tramping in New Zealand
Skiing
Those are my best pre-child holidays, without a man though mostly.

SJaneS48 Tue 03-Mar-20 19:21:55

Inter railing 13 countries in Europe, travelling up the East coast of Australia, raving (disclaimer, I’m old!) under palm trees and stars in Goa or in a nightclub in Havana with Cuban friends of a U.K. friend. Yes you can still travel widely with kids but it does involve a different itinerary (and more sobriety!).

Poetryinaction Tue 03-Mar-20 21:26:23

Walking in the Dolomites.
Cycling the Canal du Midi.
Santiago de Compostela camino.

reluctantbrit Tue 03-Mar-20 22:12:38

Guided tour in Thailand with a week in Koh Samui afterwards

Road trip through Quebec (DD was actually conceived in Montréal)

Hiking and water rafting in Provence

Campervan Trip in Australia, booked but cancelled due to work changes

Hawaii for 2 weeks, lazy pool days and trips

Looking back I would have done a safari, trip to Egypt and Petra in Jordan. Luckily DD is now old enough to do these things.

Echobelly Tue 03-Mar-20 22:18:59

Ours are rather tame.... our one outward bound type trip was our belated honeymoon to Bhutan, which was incredible.

One of my favourite holidays we've had without the kids is a long weekend in San Tropez for our 10th anniversary- if you can splash out on a hotel for a few days it is amazing to sit around and watch all the really rich people! If you want less flash, Antibes is much more arty and tasteful; we've stayed there without the kids too - it's a real treat for Piccaso fans.

ProseBeforeHoes Wed 04-Mar-20 09:30:25

Wow there are some suggestions I never would have thought of! The world really is a big place... Interesting to see Australia come up a few times - I image that one makes a lot of people's bucket lists due to the amazing range of opportunity there - glorious weather, wildlife, landscapes, activities, ect.

@reluctantbrit I think a safari would be truly once-in-a-lifetime, though I could imagine doing that with a child too - how magical.

@Echobelly I had to Google Bhutan! 😂

Zodlebud Wed 04-Mar-20 14:20:37

Japan. We went to Tokyo then travelled south to Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, Fukuoka and then flew to the Okinawa Islands for a bit of R&R. Like no country I have ever been to before. We just used the bullet train and sorted it out ourselves.

Second favourite was South Africa. A few nights safari, wine tasting and hot air ballooning in Stellenbosch, shark cage diving in Gaansbai, Christmas in Hermanus watching Southern Right Wales breach literally metres from us and then New Year in Cape Town.

Third favourite was island hopping round the Seychelles.

All three could have been adapted to cater for children but it would have got VERY expensive. I always say I would go back to all three places with my kids and we always go somewhere every different every year.

poppet31 Wed 04-Mar-20 14:32:16

A sandals holiday in the Caribbean. We got married in the grenada resort. The service was exceptional. I felt like royalty.

ProseBeforeHoes Thu 05-Mar-20 08:46:08

@Zodlebud I've heard Japan is really fantastic, great for people who want to experience an adventure. Looks like a beautiful country with such a rich history - something a bit different.

South Africa is in my top five (if money were no object!)

Can you tell I'm not content with a week in Malaga?? 😂

Zodlebud Thu 05-Mar-20 08:59:59

@ProseBeforeHoes We also had some lovely (cheaper!!!) trips closer to home.

Eating in the harbour side restaurants in Fiskardo in Kephalonia after a few days sightseeing in Athens will stay with me forever. Magical.

Travelling down the Mosel in Germany, stopping off at vineyards and staying in some of the cutest of towns.

Last year we went to Slovenia (with kids but there were times I kind of thought it would be so much better without them!!!). Few nights in Ljubljana, then to the coast at Piran stopping off to see Postojna caves and Predjana castle, and then drove to Kranskja Gora and did some short hikes - scenery is to die for, before ending up in Lake Bled. We stayed at Vila Bled (AMAZING) and had the most fabulous of meals at the top of Bled castle. We were there for the festival of light where they launch over 10,000 candles onto the lake. Just magical sat next to the water watching it. Less nice when the batteries died on the children’s kindles..........

ProseBeforeHoes Thu 05-Mar-20 12:00:29

@Zodlebud How fantastic, you've really seen a lot! I can't complain myself as I had a very well-travelled childhood (pros of being an only!grin) and enjoyed many lovely holidays growing up, mostly in Europe. I liked Germany, too! Also went to Egypt and even Orlando for the parks, which to this day makes me feel happy remembering.

Myself and DP are going to Paris in April and hopefully Amsterdam in autumn...we've been to Greece and Rome together so far and enjoyed both - Rome was particularly lovely and I would go again in a heartbeat. The Forum was stunning.

I love a mini-break!!

reluctantbrit Thu 05-Mar-20 12:57:13

@ProseBeforeHoes - yes you can do safaris with children but there are often restrictions on the drives they are offering and then also age restrictions. You don't want an overexcited 5 year old screaming for joy and disturb other guests.

So we will wait for another 2 years, DD will be 15 then, and we can go on a non-child one.

Amsterdam is great by the way, DD and I spent last year May half term there and had a blast. I have been several times as a child/teen and it is a great city for all ages.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 05-Mar-20 13:24:46

Nile Cruise
Greek Island Hopping

Lippy1234 Fri 06-Mar-20 16:20:39

My favourite holiday was to Cape Town, I went with my DC and then went back 6 years later without them.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in