Advanced search

Insurance- coronavirus

(11 Posts)
Yvonne99 Mon 24-Feb-20 18:07:14

We have an annual family insurance cover. We are thinking of canceling our next month's holiday to north Italy due to the virus. Do you think it could be covered by the insurance?

OP’s posts: |
HollyBollyBooBoo Mon 24-Feb-20 18:14:08

I think it depends on official advice from the FCO for your destination. If they've not advised not to travel and you've chosen just not to go then it's classed as 'disinclination to travel' and you won't get any compensation. Kind of makes sense as it's your choice.

handbagsatdawn33 Mon 24-Feb-20 19:05:58

Ask your insurance company. If anyone has underlying medical conditions - that have been declared - they might allow it, but they wriggle out of everything.

drivingtofrance Mon 24-Feb-20 19:10:46

I don't think it wil be covered unless the foreign office (?) cancel travel.

KoalasandRabbit Mon 24-Feb-20 19:39:56

Check terms and conditions but mine only pays out if FCO advice changes to at least avoid all but essential travel when you have policy and stays that way until 48 hours before departure at which point you can claim. Doesn't cover cancelling for pre-existing medical. A lot of scenarios where don't pay out.

Unless FCO advice changes I would say unlikely to pay out but check small print.

Rowdythree Mon 24-Feb-20 20:03:31

I've got the same conundrum, due to go on a 3 week holiday to South Korea at the end of March. The kids are frightened and don't want to go, I wish the FCO would ban all but essential travel. They have to one area we were planning on going to, but obviously not the whole country.

KoalasandRabbit Mon 24-Feb-20 20:28:57

I've been looking it up as we're are booked for Thailand and Malaysia for August, official numbers are low there but as Bangkok is number one travel destination from Wuhan not sure I believe them. In our case if either country gets avoid all but essential travel 48 hours before pay out for both if can't get money back but most scenarios we just lose the money. This is my insurers guide:

Hopefully will improve by then but if not may just lose the money as quite a high risk I'll have a temperature and be refused flights / flights cancelled / quarantines and not very clear what insurance will cover plus sounds like holiday from hell.

Rowdythree Mon 24-Feb-20 21:04:39

Does anyone know about re scheduling the flights? We're booked with BA, ideally I'd just postpone the trip rather than cancel

KoalasandRabbit Mon 24-Feb-20 23:29:17

I think it's at the airlines discretion so you may have to pay the cancellation fee or they may let you change for free. Maybe worth waiting with South Korea if BA won't let you change for free now as might change soon. Airlines seem to be being pretty good.

Srictlybakeoff Mon 24-Feb-20 23:36:44

I was due to fly to Malaysia next week but am going to cancel. I will lose quite a bit of money but I wouldn’t enjoy the holiday and if I’m going to get Coronavirus I would rather be at home

Srictlybakeoff Mon 24-Feb-20 23:41:15

I did phone Emirates who we were flying with and they said you only get a full refund if airline decides not to fly there.
Don’t think insurance will pay out unless there is official government advice against travel.
It costs more to change he flight than cancel it - which seems senseless.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in