Talk

Advanced search

Holiday Virgin! 😂

(25 Posts)
MamaGee09 Sun 02-Feb-20 19:51:07

Hi everyone we haven’t been abroad for many many years. When we weren’t last abroad we Took travellers cheques to exchange and spend😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I’m looking for advice on taking money abroad and what else i need. I KNOw we need passports and travel insurance.

Please help out this holiday abroad virgin!

Fill me in on anything else I need

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Sun 02-Feb-20 19:58:16

We took some cash and used a credit card that had no fee for purchases and a debit card with no fee for cash withdrawals

MamaGee09 Sun 02-Feb-20 22:42:15

Will need to look into this and see if my own bank cards are like this, DO you have any recommendations for travel insurance?

KaptenKrusty Sun 02-Feb-20 22:49:08

Get a revolut card smile you top it up through an app - you get great rates and if you lost card or something you can easily just block the card in the app and transfer the money left on it back to your own bank account !! I wouldn’t be without it

KoalasandRabbit Sun 02-Feb-20 23:02:56

With my bank I have to tell them the dates I'm abroad and where - can do this online - if you don't they can block cards.

Travel insurance - I've just got through Insure and Go which was great as its reasonably priced and covers my pre-existing medical conditions. Used AA in past and fine when needed to claim but they don't cover if you are going through medical tests.

KaptenKrusty Sun 02-Feb-20 23:03:34

www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel-insurance/

Some good info on travel insurance here x

KoalasandRabbit Sun 02-Feb-20 23:05:46

If you are flying you can't take any liquids over 100ml in hand luggage - even the ones under have to go in a clear plastic bag. If you wear heels they will ask you to take them off and scan your shoes / boots.

Skyscanner is a good site to find cheap flights though I always book direct with airline to avoid problems.

MamaGee09 Sun 02-Feb-20 23:25:09

Great advice, holiday all booked, just need to sort out a couple of passports, travel insurance, spending money etc,

Today we have a very excited house. 4 months to go!

InOtterNews Mon 03-Feb-20 14:24:45

Open a Starling account - no charges on cash withdrawals or transactions.

MerryGrinch Mon 03-Feb-20 14:26:09

We have a Halifax credit card where we don't get charged for withdrawing cash abroad.

LIZS Mon 03-Feb-20 14:29:05

EHIC if Europe/EEA, make sure you use .gov site and not a charging intermediary. Most places have cashpoints

lovelyupnorth Wed 05-Feb-20 09:33:15

You don’t need to tell your bank anymore. Currently in west Africa no issues using my cards

Open a starling, Monzo or Bo account you can get a fee free card to use abroad.

Travel insurance - we switch about only tip is If going to the EU get your Free EHIC cards and don’t take the insurance for travel agent or tour operators as massively over priced.

Us one of the comparison sites and see what fits your requirements best.

lovelyupnorth Wed 05-Feb-20 09:34:43

Where you off too may get some other useful tips.

Most importantly enjoy it.

WolfOfOdin Wed 05-Feb-20 09:43:05

Where are you going?

MamaGee09 Wed 05-Feb-20 19:36:12

Ibiza.

Thanks for the tips . Will look into the starling cards .

Have EHiC cards .

KoalasandRabbit Wed 05-Feb-20 19:49:51

We both have to tell our banks or they block cards. May depend on your bank.

dementedpixie Wed 05-Feb-20 19:53:14

We used to have to tell our bank (nationwide) but now we dont. I think they advise you to use it at the airport before leaving (but might be mistaken)

dementedpixie Wed 05-Feb-20 19:57:15

I wasnt mistaken:

Check your balance in a cash machine or buy something using Chip and PIN at an air or sea port. This lets our systems know you’re about to travel. Just note we may still contact you about transactions abroad.

KaptenKrusty Wed 05-Feb-20 20:30:02

Letting the bank know is old school - not a thing anymore !! Cards will sometime get locked whether you tell them or not - they will usually only send a text to ask if you are abroad and you respond with a “yes” card then gets unlocked - I just got back from India and this is how it went anyway

But if you get a currency card you won’t need to use normal bank acc anyway

KoalasandRabbit Wed 05-Feb-20 20:31:02

This is NWB, says to tell them if you don't want to risk card being blocked:

supportcentre.natwest.com/olb/cards/aa1a/913241312/I-am-going-abroad-and-don-t-want-my-card-to-be-blocked-what-should-I-do.htm

KoalasandRabbit Wed 05-Feb-20 20:44:47

HSBC: Always let bank know you are travelling:
www.hsbc.co.uk/international/managing-your-money-travelling/

dementedpixie Wed 05-Feb-20 20:51:33

Must depend on the bank

lovelyupnorth Wed 05-Feb-20 21:06:11

Was told by HSBC, starling and Bo didn’t need to tell them.

MamaGee09 Sat 08-Feb-20 18:40:55

Thanks all , also Who do you get your holidays insurance from?

dementedpixie Sat 08-Feb-20 18:43:31

Ours is through our bank account

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in