Talk

Advanced search

Please help - urgent query re United Airlines multi stop flight pls help

(36 Posts)
picknmixer Sun 26-Jan-20 09:29:46

I have to travel to Washington DC for a memorial service in April and have very little money. I have been looking at flights and to DC is minimum £1000 but NYC is £700. I decided to get the train on top DC. I have now found a flight for £540 that stops in Munich, then DC then on to NYC. The same route without the NYC leg is £1070!
I called the airline and they said failure to arrive for the final leg can in some cases cause your return trip to be cancelled.
Has anyone any experience of this?
Can I fein illness in DC and not take the final leg of the journey by informing them at the airport?

Any advice much appreciated.
thank you

OP’s posts: |
TomeOfSomething Sun 26-Jan-20 09:32:33

I wouldn't

www.smartertravel.com/airline-sues-customer-for-hidden-city-ticketing/

Lufthansa’s aggressive response is the latest in a series of occasional airline attempts to stop travelers from using a well-known ticketing gimmick to cut trip costs. The trick, also called hidden-city ticketing, is booking a cheaper itinerary with a layover—when the layover is actually your destination.

In 2018, United threatened a skiplagged passenger with reporting him to a collection agency and canceling his frequent flyer status unless he paid the $3,000 fare difference. Other airlines have done the same in the past, too.

WorkingItOutAsIGo Sun 26-Jan-20 09:33:01

Don’t do it. They are clamping down on this and would be very likely to cancel your return flight.

picknmixer Sun 26-Jan-20 09:38:18

Oh gosh thank you, I had no idea this was a 'trick'. Seems so crazy to pay £300 more to travel 6 hours and a flight less. I can't get head around it.
Every day is a school day eh?

picknmixer Sun 26-Jan-20 09:39:46

Thank you so so much.

Back to the drawing board. I am looking at a 4 stop 22 hour route to make it affordable which as an arthritic osteoporosis suffer is not too appealling!

LuluBellaBlue Sun 26-Jan-20 09:40:56

It’s disgusting that the airlines do this confused

picknmixer Sun 26-Jan-20 09:51:55

I do feel very uncomfortable about the environment impact. It is madness. I am going to take a loan and get flight to NY via Germany and the train to Washington.

bananaskinsnomnom Sun 26-Jan-20 10:01:53

So annoying how this works! I’m just wondering if you can go Indirect via Dublin or Belfast to Washington? With aer lingus? They were cheap when I did that.....are you going in the school holidays op?

cuckooken Sun 26-Jan-20 10:06:00

Are you flying from the uk?

We were looking to go to DC in April and it was under £400 for return flights out of Heathrow.

edgewater Sun 26-Jan-20 10:11:17

Have you run your flights through skyscanner?

WorkingItOutAsIGo Sun 26-Jan-20 10:17:26

It does seem ridiculous that you can’t find a cheaper flight. Are you trying to fly from somewhere weird? Might it be better to get to a major airport here and get a cheaper flight?

And I am sorry for your loss.

picknmixer Sun 26-Jan-20 10:27:19

It's from Manchester to Washington DC and I need to fly at easter holiday time, so peak travel. Fares do seem v high. I will keep looking.
The Dublin route are £800+ atm. I will keep searching.
Thank you

cuckooken Sun 26-Jan-20 10:38:33

Look at flights from London airports

Withinthewhirlwind Sun 26-Jan-20 10:42:41

Try looking at flights to Philadelphia -it’s a similar distance on to DC as from DC airport, but often quieter, so maybe cheaper

picknmixer Sun 26-Jan-20 10:45:02

great ideas. thank you. I am not experienced at this.

stripeypillowcase Sun 26-Jan-20 10:48:52

if you go to new york, have a look at greyhound busses.
they use quite comfortable coaches.

FVFrog Sun 26-Jan-20 10:54:55

You need to search London all airports and DC all airports (Baltimore is not far from DC) and many of my DC area friends (I lived there for 6 years) fly out of Baltimore rather than DC (Dulles)

Rhinosaurus Sun 26-Jan-20 10:58:14

I have recently booked flights to the US and booking direct through the British airlines website was cheaper than any of the Skyscanner prices.

Ginfordinner Sun 26-Jan-20 11:03:58

Is not going an option?

stripeypillowcase Sun 26-Jan-20 11:04:53

whoever you end up going with - make clear you declare your disabilities.

WorkingItOutAsIGo Sun 26-Jan-20 11:05:37

I would look at taking the train to one of the London airports. It will be £££ cheaper and what sounds equally important for you, quicker and less tiring.

You would be wrecked after the 24 hour route you were proposing. It’s a false economy.

zafferana Sun 26-Jan-20 11:09:44

I honestly wouldn't go if you a) can't afford it and b) have health issues that will make this trip unpleasant for you. Unless it's for your partner, parent or child I can't see what is so important that you'd go to all this trouble and put yourself in debt to go.

WorkingItOutAsIGo Sun 26-Jan-20 11:12:21

Also, look at how long you are staying if your accommodation is free. It’s usually much cheaper if you stay over a Saturday night.

Sunstar16 Sun 26-Jan-20 11:23:15

The Megabus from NY to DC was $10 when we travelled. You can get great deals when booked in advance. Try Philadelphia and Boston too.

eachbeach Sun 26-Jan-20 11:23:20

Can you let us know your dates/ any flexibility and weather you can train is down to Heathrow ? I love a flight challenge !

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in