Talk

Advanced search

Flying while pregnant

(9 Posts)
summershine2204 Fri 17-Jan-20 08:47:04

Hi,

So I have two holidays that have been booked prior to finding out we're expected.

I have 6 nights in Vegas in May (26-27 weeks) and 5 nights in Spain (34 weeks). I'm aware I'll need a doctors note for Spain however I was wondering if it was safe to fly?

It is my first child and statistically baby is more likely to be late than early, but I was just wondering what other people opinions are. When I mentioned it to my midwife she just said to wear flight socks and stay hydrated ..

OP’s posts: |
Harriett123 Fri 17-Jan-20 11:47:47

Yeah your safe to fly if your having a normal healthy pregnancy. I flew when I was 36 weeks only difference was I needed to ask for a seat belt extender to accommodate my bump.
Each airline has there own rules on when your allowed to fly and when you need a fit to fly note. This info is usually on the airlines website.
My midwife had no problem giving me a fit to fly note

Harriett123 Fri 17-Jan-20 11:49:08

Make sure your travel insurance covers any pregnancy related medical issues on the off chance you encounter any issues and need medical assistance while away especially for an American trip

CMOTDibbler Fri 17-Jan-20 11:50:51

I'd go to Vegas (with very good insurance which covered the baby if they arrived) but not Spain. My 1st arrived at 35 weeks with no warning at all

summershine2204 Fri 17-Jan-20 12:02:01

My travel insurance is up for renewal in March so it will be fully up to date by then and I have no intentions of going anywhere prior to then.

Spain is just a treat I booked for my mum so we won't be leaving the beach/hotel really. It was just a switch off and relax type holiday so it won't be strenuous. Obviously it's something I'll have to play by ear. The airline are happy for passengers to fly up to 36 weeks so I'm under their exceptions, I'm just a bit dubious.

Due date is 10th Aug and I'll be flying home 25th June so.

Besidesthepoint Fri 17-Jan-20 12:04:46

I'm not sure you're going to feel happy in the spanish heat at 34 weeks.

If you really want to go you can go, I'm sure the health care is adequate there as well.

stopchewingeverything Fri 17-Jan-20 12:24:32

As long as you have no complications, go! Stay hydrated, wear flight socks and move around the plane. I advise women to get up and do a few laps of the plane every hour, especially if it is a long haul flight like Vegas. Make sure your travel insurance would also cover a baby on the unlikely event of he/she arriving early. I remember a story a few years ago where a couple were on holiday in NYC. She laboured prematurely and although she was covered, the baby wasn't and there was a massive bill from the baby spending months in NICU there.

summershine2204 Fri 17-Jan-20 13:09:10

Thank you ladies.

I don't suppose you could recommend any travel insurance @stopchewingeverything I've had a -very- quick look online on my lunch and I can't see anything that clearly states baby would be covered.

stopchewingeverything Fri 17-Jan-20 14:00:19

I don't know which would unfortunately. It would be a case of asking them individually I think.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in