Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Am I utterly deranged flying to Hong Kong with DS on my lap, instead of in his own seat?

(55 Posts)
littlelapin Tue 28-Aug-07 16:29:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

unknownrebelbang Tue 28-Aug-07 16:30:54

You'll make it work.

It'll be a long flight, but hopefully you'll manage to sleep for some of that time.

onlyWotz Tue 28-Aug-07 16:40:45

<< rushes off to office drawer to find a Gold Brave Star sticker of LL and DS >>

You never know, there may be a spare seat next to you. Lets hope for that. grin

roisin Tue 28-Aug-07 16:44:30

Crikey sounds like hard work to me. Is he big for his age?

I remember doing a 4 hr train journey with ds1 on my lap when he was younger than that, and it was not very pleasant. Thereafter I always booked a seat for him.

liger Tue 28-Aug-07 16:51:37

I travelled longhaul to Indonesia with my ds at that age, we had a seat for him, and he sat on my lap the whole way anyway - you'll be just fine.

RubySlippers Tue 28-Aug-07 16:54:52

yes you are grin
however it sounds like your circumstances have dictated this anyway
i am due to fly with my DS in 3 weeks and he will be 15.5 months old and he will be on my knee
am taking a box of tricks (puzzles, crayons, and a gazillion rice cakes)

doggiesayswoof Tue 28-Aug-07 16:55:08

Hate to say it LL but I think his own seat would have been better... even if he ends up on your lap, you would have more space around you.

OTOH, you have booked it - so que sera sera, at the very worst it will be a learning experience and will strengthen your moral fibre etc.

BettySpaghetti Tue 28-Aug-07 16:55:38

We've done a 4 hr flight when DD was about 17m -we were with GPs too though so had a few laps to pass her between.

Mealtimes are interesting though -trying to juggle small child and trays of food smile

littlelapin Tue 28-Aug-07 17:50:29

majorstress Tue 28-Aug-07 17:53:18

some airlines deffo allow DVD player, but check with yours.

littlelapin Tue 28-Aug-07 18:04:05

Califrau Tue 28-Aug-07 18:15:00

littlelapin Tue 28-Aug-07 18:17:12

pania Tue 28-Aug-07 18:18:01

Make sure to ask if they can put you somewhere with a spare seat next to you when you check in.

If they can, they probably will (as much for the comfort of other passengers as for you and ds!) smile

Califrau Tue 28-Aug-07 18:24:26

littlelapin Tue 28-Aug-07 18:25:50

fuzzywuzzy Tue 28-Aug-07 18:29:38

book a bassinet dotn they allow you to do that with an under two year old....unless he's walking and will sit on the floor having him on your lap forthe entire flight will give you numb legs, and make eating very difficult,..... been there with a three year old who inssited on remaining glued to my lap for a nine hour flight never bloody ever again

littlelapin Tue 28-Aug-07 18:32:57

fuzzywuzzy Tue 28-Aug-07 18:35:53

oh well forget the bassinet, then ask if you can sit at the front bit or near the exit, loads of leg space, and plant ds on the floor as soon as you're in the air, with a puzzle or crayons or whatever...

thechickenlady Tue 28-Aug-07 18:43:09

We did 54 hours of flying in 3 weeks when DS was 14 months. Was hard but not hard enough for us to pay for a seperate seat for him.

(DH reading this over my shoulder and wants it mentioned that he did a sterling job whilst I sat on my pregnant backside reading OK magazine).

Whooosh Tue 28-Aug-07 18:49:14

Yes you are totally bonkers!grin
THey won't let you have an emergency exit-they won't let you keep a flippin' handbag on the floor there-let alone a child.

I am positive though that if there is a spare seat on the plane,they will put you next to it for exactly the reason pania said.I was told by a stewardess once that they always try to do this wherever possible.

Bon chance!

Califrau Tue 28-Aug-07 18:53:23

thechickenlady Tue 28-Aug-07 19:24:24

I think British Airways had the carseat-type bassinet (agree, useless unless you have a tiny baby) but the Qantas flights we were on had the proper lie-down cots which were fine.

Not sure if it depends on the airline or the type of plane though...

littlelapin Tue 28-Aug-07 19:26:57

TellusMater Tue 28-Aug-07 19:30:25

Blimey. DD fitted in the BA seat at 12 mo, and she is massive - 99.7th centile for weight and height.

On my lap? Nope...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now