Talk

Advanced search

40th birthday trip ideas?

(10 Posts)
KitKat1985 Mon 06-Jan-20 17:42:58

DH's 40th birthday next year. He's not really the party type, but we both enjoy travels / holidays. For his 30th I surprised him with a trip to New York for a week which was amazing. However for his 40th we will be travelling with our DDs (who will be 6 and 4) so I'd like a destination a bit special and different to where we generally go on holidays (usually Tenerife or Majorca) but still family friendly. Max budget would be about £5k.

OP’s posts: |
LeGrandBleu Tue 07-Jan-20 06:24:20

@KitKat1985
What time of the year?

Funf Tue 07-Jan-20 11:26:20

Cruise with good kids clubs ours loved them

BlueSkies2020 Tue 07-Jan-20 13:03:51

Following as I’ll be in the same boat! I don’t know what to do either. Kids similar age to yours

Babysharkdoodoodood Tue 07-Jan-20 15:23:25

I'm taking mine to Seville for his 60th next week. Looks amazing with the Alcázar and Italica, plus Tapas! Was supposed to be a surprise so I warned the stepkids not to arrange a party, but 'somehow ' he found out (bitches). And breathe.

Anyway it looks to be a great trip despite that and it's somewhere new that we've never thought about before.

KitKat1985 Tue 07-Jan-20 21:52:24

Hi @LeGrandBleu. Well DH's birthday is in February, but we don't necessarily have to go then. Ideally would be Easter or Summer holidays as we can go for more than a week then.

Cruise and Seville both good ideas. Never done a cruise but a bit scared of getting seasick!

AlwaysOnAbloodyDiet Tue 07-Jan-20 21:55:58

Lake Garda

PandancerandRabbitoplh Tue 07-Jan-20 22:01:31

Maybe Lapland if you can go before winter season ends there's snow, husky sledging, reindeer sledging and snowmobiles etc. Lots of reindeer around including some white ones. From mid April you can see brown bears in the wild (Arola Bears) but probably more the summer season activities then so more like canoeing, white water rafting, summer toboggan run (Ruka).

Austria is also nice - went to Hintertux there which has snow all year though more for a few days than 2 weeks but could combine with somewhere else.

Leflic Tue 07-Jan-20 22:34:41

Re sea sickness - I never even noticed the ship move in the summer quite honestly. The Bay of Biscay can be tough but if you a fly cruise rather than sailing out of Southampton you’d miss that.
And they would enjoy the kids club and give you a bit of time to relax.

KitKat1985 Wed 08-Jan-20 12:53:51

Yeah that's true re: kids club. I'd love to do something like a cruise or even a trip to Canada, but think realistically it would be challenging on my budget. Possibly need to be more realistic and look at some lovely places in Europe.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in