Talk

Advanced search

Weather in Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia in August

(3 Posts)
Newhouse76 Sun 05-Jan-20 21:44:06

Am planning a 3.5 week trip with DD following her GCSEs this summer. Trailfinders have suggested an itinerary covering Bangkok and Chaing Mai in Thailand, Ho Chi Min and the Mekong Delta and a couple of places in Cambodia.

Ive been trying to figure out the weather and am really confused about which area is wet and when 😬.

Im hoping that someone can explain to me in simple lay mans terms whether it makes sense to visit these countries in August. Im taking a months unpaid leave so I would like to get it right!

OP’s posts: |
InOtterNews Mon 06-Jan-20 14:56:30

It will be mixed - it's rainy season across the board in SE Asia but that should stop you.

Rain tends to be for a short period in the day (either early morning or late afternoon) and then it should clear up. Temperature still should a nice late 20's/30 degrees-ish

Thailand the further North you are the rain should be stopping at this time of year. I think Cambodia rainy season starts a little later.

Vietnam is different - the South will be wet (so the two places you mentioned) and the North hot (and very humid) though the mountains should be fine

ShanghaiDiva Tue 07-Jan-20 11:01:32

Vietnam - Hue and Hoi An will be dry, but can be very hot.
I have been to Hanoi in the summer and it was hot with a couple of wet days, but plenty of museums etc so a couple of rainy days is not an issue, but further north in Sapa will be wet.
Bali is dry then, Java, Malaysian Borneo, Luang Prabang was also pretty dry when I was there in July - just some rain overnight.
Thailand - Chiang Mai will not have great weather in the summer, I think Koh Samui is decent then
I use the website selective asia as they give a decent weather breakdown:
www.selectiveasia.com/vietnam-holidays/weather/july

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in