Talk

Advanced search

Amsterdam

(15 Posts)
AH1406 Wed 01-Jan-20 21:56:09

Hi, I'm travelling to Amsterdam in a few weeks for four days. Any tips on best things to see / do / experience? Please include information on price etc. Tia.

OP’s posts: |
Leflic Wed 01-Jan-20 23:24:02

Anne Franks house. You will need to book in advance anyway.
Canal cruise when you are there.

I dislike Amsterdam though. You might want to give people more of an idea about you like. Read TripAdvisors Amsterdam Forum for up to date info on things to do and activities.

Chochito Wed 01-Jan-20 23:32:41

It will be very, very cold. Wrap up warm and have warm, comfortable, waterproof boots for walking around sightseeing.

I find canal boat tours quite dull as you only see the bottoms of bridges and the sides of the canals. I think Amsterdam is best seen on foot (ex DP lived there for years and we made many holiday trips there after he moved away).

You must go to at least one cheese shop and enjoy tasting the samples (they are all over the centre). You must also eat double cooked chips with sweet Dutch mayo from a street stall! Herring from the street stalls is also nice if you like that.

You can buy all the typical Dutch cookies, apple cake, Hagelslaag (sprinkles for buttered bread), etc. in any supermarket as well as cheeses.

My favourite museum in Amsterdam is the Van GOGH museum. Book online in advance.

There is a lot to see, old churches, architecture, etc. just from walking around and getting a feel for the different neighbourhoods and seeing what most interests you to visit. It's a tiny city so you can walk everywhere (or get a bike if you feel confident).

Café Wildschut near the Museumplein is great for watching the world go by, and it serves food all day. Kantjil & de Tijger restaurant is also great for Indonesian food (a former Dutch colony) but you need to book.

Chochito Wed 01-Jan-20 23:33:39

The red light district (near the Oude Kerk) is every bit as vile as it looks on TV. Luckily it's tiny and easily avoided.

BaronessBomburst Wed 01-Jan-20 23:34:20

The Rijks Museum is worth a visit. As well as Rembrandt's Night Watch there are paintings by Van Gogh and Vermeer. You can book guided tours in English.
The metro is generally quicker and less busy than taking a tram.
I agree that the boat trips are nice.
That said, I don't like Amsterdam either. It's full of pickpockets, there's trams, bicycles and tourists wandering all over the place, and it stinks of weed.
I've yet to go to the Van Gogh museum so will have to brave it at least once more, but if you want to go book in advance as entrance is limited.

Chochito Wed 01-Jan-20 23:34:36

Also recommed Cafe De Jaren, try to get a seat on the little terrace out the back.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Wed 01-Jan-20 23:36:46

I didn't like Amsterdam much, but my favourite area was Jordaan. I also liked the little pubs, as big as living rooms - think they might be called Brown Cafes. There are lots of them, and they were a nice way to pass an hour or two.

And, as PP said, definitely have chips and mayo.

BaronessBomburst Wed 01-Jan-20 23:40:36

There are so many lovely places to visit in the Netherlands. Giethoorn, Bourtange, shopping in Nijmegen or Utrecht, the Veluwe, the Wadden islands. It's a friendly country and easy to travel around.

earsup Wed 01-Jan-20 23:59:03

I haven't been since the early 90's but used to love the flea markets and second hand shops...must say I am shocked at price of hotels now...it used to be so cheap...now lucky to find anything under £100 each...half decent..!

Swisskit Thu 02-Jan-20 00:00:15

Banksy exhibition

Cactus1Cactus2 Thu 02-Jan-20 00:17:47

I've been recently a couple of times, it's expensive !
You can pre purchase an ' I am Amsterdam card' it gives you free entry into some museums, one free canal boat ride, free tram rides

Recommend
Flower market beside canals
Banksy exhibition
Van Gogh museum
Film museum
Walking round canals, have a coffee & people watch
Markets (Google different market each day)
Chocolate sprinkles on toast & buy some to bring home from supermarket
Zaanse Schwan's, small town with lots of windmills, can get bus from behind the central station in Amsterdam

HeddaGarbled Thu 02-Jan-20 00:19:18

Rijksmuseum is excellent if you are into art. Some stand out Rembrandts and Vermeers. Also it’s an easy train trip to The Hague where the Mauritshuis has Vermeer’s Girl with a Pearl Earring and Fabritius’ Goldfinch amongst many other great works.

wraithberry Thu 02-Jan-20 00:24:05

Try the cookies at Van Stapele Koekmakerij

http://vanstapele.com/eng.php

Crunched Thu 02-Jan-20 00:37:29

I recommend breakfast at Omelegg - delicious, good value. There are two branches.
If you are planning a special meal ‘de Silveren Spiegal’ is worth booking. The food is art on a plate and the building has lots of historical interest.
The ‘This is Holland’ ride is a bit different (and a refuge from the weather!) and it is a free ferry ride to get there.

Cactus1Cactus2 Thu 02-Jan-20 01:02:14

We ate 'Omas Soup' in a restaurant. It's soup that is made at a cooperative by elderly people, to help combat loneliness. It was delicious !

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in