Talk

Advanced search

Ok I know its early but finances in a mess...how to do xmas on a budget please?????

(7 Posts)
becaroo Sat 25-Aug-07 15:03:36

I have a dh, ds and very many family members eg: brothers, sisters, in laws, nephews and to top it all my little brother is getting married on dec 1st!

Really need some tips on how NOT to spend loads but get people nice things they would like....my ds just informed us he wants a train that costs £80 (gulp!)

Am so fed up with a big visa bill in Jan/Feb I am determined not to use it this year!!

I have tried in the past to just buy for the children/nephews but my sister and her dh are very well off and the first year we agreed to try it, I turned up with presents for my nephews and nothing for them and she had got me some designer perfume and my dh and designer top!!! (I felt AWFUL!)

I do not want to be a scrooge/bah humbug person as I LOVE xmas but dont want to get into debt either.....any advice???

WideWebWitch Sat 25-Aug-07 15:05:47

Make presents.
We made a calendar one year with pictures from my collection, i.e. our childhood, presumably you have a printer?
There's another thread askign the same question too.

WideWebWitch Sat 25-Aug-07 15:15:09

here you go

bubblagirl Sat 25-Aug-07 15:16:53

i've just ordered the x mas studio catalogue as you can personalise alot of the items in there small bottle of wine with glass engraved with up to 20 letters no extra cost 5 pound and if starting now can pay weekly and be all done in time there are loads of things in there for kids that you can personalise too

chocolateteapot Sat 25-Aug-07 15:28:19

The thing that is helping me at the moment which sounds somewhat pathetic and anal, is having a spreadsheet. I have written down everyone I need to buy for, what I think I will get them, a budget for each person, then what I actually spend. We are lucky in that we don't need to worry too much this Christmas but I don't want to spend hundreds as is easy to do if you don't keep an eye on it.

Agree with WWW about making things. For your sister could you do something like make a Christmas Flower arrangement ? A cheap basket/silver container, a bit of oasis (try the florist), collect stuff like ivy, bits of fir, pine cones from out and about, a bunch of roses from Tescos and some organza ribbon to tie around the container.

What train does your DS want, can we all have a hunt to see if we can find it cheaper than £80 somewhere ?

(And Dustystar, if you ever read any of these Christmas threads I have posted on , please do not mercilessly take the p**s about my Christmas spread sheet, I would never own up to this to anyone I know in RL grin )

charliecat Sat 25-Aug-07 15:32:17

I have repeatedly told all adults that I will NOT be buying for them. Im not contributing to landfill and that if they REALLY wanted something, they would buy it themselves.
They dont wait till someone guesses the right thing on the 25th of Dec.
First year was slightly embarrasing, 2nd year I think only my sister insisted and 3rd year, last year was perfect. Noone brought me anything.
And I didnt get into debt.

becaroo Sat 25-Aug-07 19:06:42

chocolate teapot....I do make a list every year of who to buy for etc (although now I am going to use excel obviously grin - fab idea!!

Trouble is, I always forget people (god children we never see, mad old aunties etc etc) and then it all goes a bit wrong. I try to budget, but I think I must have expensive tastes!!

I am asking for money this year towards my Open University courses (which cost a fortune) so hopefully will not recieve too much rubbish....last year from my sister...a glittery purple plush reindeer.shock What was she thinking????????

I like the idea of making stuff...will have a think and see what I can come up with....thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now