Talk

Advanced search

Ive won a trip to the Maldives!! Do I take my baby with me?

(25 Posts)
Maxymoo1 Fri 20-Dec-19 19:09:19

Hi everyone,

I work in luxury travel and have just been lucky enough to win a trip to the Maldives!! I have never been before and am very excited! However, my first baby boy is only 7 months old, I wouldn't plan to go for at least a year so he will be around 18 months old by then.

My question is... should I take him with me and my husband or leave him with my parents for maximum a week? My parents absolutely adore my son and are incredible with him, he would have a great time with them. What's bothering me is would I feel ok being so far away from him for a week? Should we take him with us and enjoy an amazing family holiday together? Or is it unfair on him to take him all that way on a plane so young? Is it better to enjoy some quality time with my husband and my son enjoy time with his grandparents?

I just don't know what to do for the best and would really appreciate advice from Mums who I know will understand how I feel. Thank you x

OP’s posts: |
DrinkFeckArseGirls Fri 20-Dec-19 19:11:26

Are you allowed to take a chikd with you? I’d double check that, ofter trip prizes are for 18’s only and I don’t mean just the participant, the companion too.

Dozer Fri 20-Dec-19 19:13:07

That holiday would be far more enjoyable without your DS IMO!

Daisydoola Fri 20-Dec-19 19:14:07

Leave him with your parents. What a lovely prize.

DobbyTheHouseElk Fri 20-Dec-19 19:14:43

I’ve been twice and it’s not somewhere I’d take a baby. The heat is insane.

Maxymoo1 Fri 20-Dec-19 19:17:49

@DrinkFeckArseGirls that's a very good point, I'm waiting for the t's & c's to come through but the trip is for 2 adults so maybe I wouldn't be able to add him on anyway!
@DobbyTheHouseElk another very good point. It won't be much fun for him in the heat and trying to keep him out of the sun the whole time!
I'm just being a wimp about leaving him but like you all say it would be amazing just me and my husband and probably better for us all that way!

DobbyTheHouseElk Fri 20-Dec-19 19:21:18

I would love to go again. But I don’t think it’s a place for children. You can’t really stay out of the sun on an island, it’s almost impossible. The sun is so so bright. I’ve been to Australia and the heat and sun isn’t as in as Maldives.

Don’t know what I’d do in your shoes. I went before children and we often talk about returning but when dc are older. Also there’s nothing for children there it’s a very honey moon place. I didn’t see children where I went.

SherlocksDeerstalker Fri 20-Dec-19 19:21:43

I’d take him for sure. But then we’ve travelled all over the world with our girls from a very young age. Their first flights were at 5 weeks and 3 months old respectively. The heat wouldn’t be a worry for me, just plan the time of year accordingly. I have a friend who goes to the Maldives every year with her son. They absolutely love it, and always go back to the same place. It’s become a family tradition for them. I’d take him and enjoy your family time. smile

eurochick Fri 20-Dec-19 19:29:44

We took our five year old this year and it was a very different holiday to the Maldives as a couple! The flight length was the main thing that put us off. In your shoes I think I'd go as a couple. As others have said you might not have any choice with the terms of the prize anyway, plus a lot of islands are adults only.

marchingonwithmother Fri 20-Dec-19 19:34:27

Honestly? I've took my kids all over the world but in your position I'd actually leave him and enjoy the break just the two of you

busymummy19 Fri 20-Dec-19 19:39:30

Leave him with grandparents. Enjoy the Maldives. It's a beautiful place but not much for kids to do really. Sounds like he will have a lovely time with grandparents anyway and you can FaceTime him.

Aragog Fri 20-Dec-19 19:42:58

I'd take him personally.
But its very much a personal decision as to whether you want child free holidays or not. We didnt.

Booboostwo Fri 20-Dec-19 19:58:13

You’ve won a holiday at a specific result? Most of them are not particularly toddler friendly, e.g, small islands with access to the sea everywhere, unfenced pools, houses on stilts on the sea, etc. The trip is very long and you may have a small plane or boat transfer at the end. You take minimal luggage (especially on the small plane ) so no toys or things to entertain a toddler with. I think you may have a lot more fun as a couple.

CluelessNewMama Fri 20-Dec-19 20:02:48

I think it depends on the island, some of the bigger islands are much more child friendly but many are really just designed for adults/couples.

Personally, I’d leave the baby at home and have some quality time with DP. The Maldives is really a perfect place to just lie on a sun lounger drinking cocktails and relaxing. Also, the flight is really long and then you’d need to get a speedboat/propeller plane to your island and I just can imagine that being really stressful with an 18 month old.

Enjoy your holiday though whatever you decide, how exciting!

SinkGirl Fri 20-Dec-19 20:06:53

If you do want to take him I’d go sooner rather than later. Toddlers are much more difficult to manage on a plane, around pools, beaches etc. At this age you can generally calm them easily with a bottle and aren’t mobile... or maybe crawling for some. I think you’re entering a more difficult stage though - 12-24 months was by far the hardest stage to wrangle our twins.

Branleuse Fri 20-Dec-19 23:40:45

Leave him with your parents. Have a lovely couples holiday and your son can have a wonderful time being spoilt by his grandparents.
He wont be old enough to enjoy that sort of holiday and a romantic break will be lovely

SJaneS48 Tue 24-Dec-19 07:22:10

Leave him as you know he will be happy and well cared for. I’ve taken a 6 month year old to the Caribbean and keeping a small person out of the direct heat is hard work and not in the least relaxing. Add onto that jet lag and you have a recipe for a tiring, not especially great time for everyone.

RhymingRabbit3 Tue 24-Dec-19 07:27:37

@SinkGirl has a good point. It might actually be easier with a non mobile baby than with an active toddler. However I would go for the option of leaving him with grandparents, if they're amenable.

Swinesinsleepingbags Tue 24-Dec-19 07:33:14

I'd be more inclined to go when he was non mobile as a toddler near water which will be unfenced would be a nightmare.
Personally I'd leave him, he will be spoiled by granny and you and dh can have a break.
I am tcrenvy

daffyducked Tue 24-Dec-19 07:45:29

By the time he is 18 months old you will glad to leave him at home for a break.

Maxymoo1 Tue 24-Dec-19 07:53:11

Thank you everyone! You've all really helped me, we're going to leave him with his grandparents where he and they will have a fantastic time. My parents live 2 and a half hours away and can't wait to have him stay more, he's their first grandson. You all made some great points about safety, heat and the flight. We are very lucky as my mother in law lives in Portugal so we go every year and stay with her, so we will also take our son on holiday but short haul, when it's not too hot! smile

Maxymoo1 Tue 24-Dec-19 07:54:39

Oh and also, he's 7 months now and already crawling! So we're passed the immobile stage! Have a wonderful Christmas everyone!

avocadochocolate Tue 24-Dec-19 07:57:21

I've never been to the Maldives so can't comment on it specifically but I can tell you I have travelled the world with my children since they were newborn babies and never had any problems. You do obviously need to take sensible precautions, like ensuring vaccinations are up-to-date.

YappityYapYap Tue 24-Dec-19 08:37:57

I think the Maldives is more of an adult place to go. I think it's all about the beach, relaxation and eating isn't it? Probably not much fun for a toddler. I think he would have much more fun with his grandparents being able to go to the park, play with his toys and go on days out. It will be good for them to bond as well with being 2 and a half hours away. I think you've made the right choice. There's video calling now a days so you can wish him a good night and see his little face everyday 🙂

Bubbinsmakesthree Wed 01-Jan-20 21:19:06

I think you could have a perfectly lovely holiday in the Maldives with a toddler but if you’ve got willing grandparents I would jump at the opportunity for a child-free trip - enjoy!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in