Talk

Advanced search

January weekend break

(13 Posts)
maloofhoof Thu 19-Dec-19 20:27:32

Looking to book a weekend away for mid to late January for a surprise for DP. I've spent days looking at options but cannot decide. I hoped to go to Iceland but can't find it in my budget for two people which is £500 for flights and hotel. The only two places I don't want to go are Edinburgh and Paris, purely because I want to take teen DD to those places.
Only requirements are to travel from Heathrow, with a maximum transfer time of one hour on arrival. I'd love the destination to be snowy but know that can't be guaranteed.
Does anyone have any ideas or tips if you've been somewhere in January that you think fits the bill? Hoping to book tomorrow night!

OP’s posts: |
maloofhoof Thu 19-Dec-19 20:34:10

Forgot to say, preferably two nights, 3 at a push.

OP’s posts: |
Ricekrispie22 Fri 20-Dec-19 06:17:17

The annual Amsterdam light festival runs from November to January. There are lots of spectacular light sculptures around the canal ring, the River Amstel and other special locations. You can wander around and explore them at your leisure, or follow one of the dedicated routes. There’s also a special canal cruise called Water Colours which is a good way to view most of them.

BeardedMum Fri 20-Dec-19 06:18:47

Krakow

Funf Fri 20-Dec-19 18:21:43

This was excellent value in Iceland
www.bluemountainapartments.is
You can self cater too, but the weather will be very bad so wrap up, you really need to drive and sell cater or its extremely expensive
I would go to Prage or Amsterdam

Yellowbutterfly1 Sun 22-Dec-19 13:55:47

I would have said Krakow but it’s only BA that fly there from Heathrow and they seem to have cut flights during the winter that would have been perfect for a weekend break.

BeardedMum Sun 22-Dec-19 14:30:58

No I flew to Krakow on Ryan air from Stansted a few weeks ago

Winkywoop Sun 22-Dec-19 14:31:49

We went to Vienna last January- beautiful

Yellowbutterfly1 Sun 22-Dec-19 17:36:31

BeardMum. The OP needs to travel from Heathrow.

marchingonwithmother Sun 22-Dec-19 17:38:04

Budapest

lovelyupnorth Tue 24-Dec-19 06:59:16

Stockholm.

cptartapp Tue 24-Dec-19 07:04:10

We're going to Seville, not snowy though.
Copenhagen was fab
last year but not cheap.

SJaneS48 Tue 24-Dec-19 07:28:18

Prague - probably the most romantic looking city in Europe. Looks very pretty in the snow.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in