Talk

Advanced search

Carry Cots for Cars

(6 Posts)
GoldenFleece Fri 24-Aug-07 06:24:28

Hi

I am planning to drive to Ireland with a 3 month old baby in November. At the moment we are looking at 3 hours by car from home to ferry port, 3 hours on ferry and then 1-2 hours by car the other side. Although I do not want to keep her in her car seat for all that time I appreciate that the car seat is the safest place for her. However someone mentioned that they thought you could get a carry cot that goes on the back seat and attaches to the seatbelts that will mean she can at least lie flat for the majority of the journey. Obviously when on the ferry she will be picked up and moved etc but not whilst the car is moving. Does anyone have any other suggestions or can anyone recommend such a product and if so where can I buy one from?

Olihan Fri 24-Aug-07 06:38:40

Mamas and Papas used to do one called the Navetta (I don't know about their current range, sorry) but it didn't do very well in crash tests - it basically disintegrated in impacts at 40mph.

I had a carrycot with my pram and the shop I bought it from said it was possible to buy universal carrycot car straps and a harness for the baby so you could use it in the car but they're not really designed for use in the car.

I think the Jane Matrix carseat lies flat as the back can be raised up and down but it's not cheap.

TBH, it's a one off, she'll have quite a bit of time on the ferry when she's out of it so it's unlikely to do her any harm and she's far safer in a car seat than a carry cot.

iris66 Fri 24-Aug-07 06:42:17

I've not seen a proper carry cot for years (fond memories of taking DD home from hospital loose on the back seat in one ) but I have seen a "car seat" that lies completely flat for a newborn. It's one of those multi age use things that twists sideways. Sorry not to be of more help but I have seen one within the past 6 months (I'll get back to you if I remember where!) Hope someone more useful comes along soon

Olihan Fri 24-Aug-07 06:47:05

iris, thst's the Euroturn (something like that) but it's £600 .

iris66 Fri 24-Aug-07 06:48:44

I knew there was a reason I had to erase it's existence from my memory (pg with No. 3 - saw it and drooled )

Olihan Fri 24-Aug-07 07:04:36

Well if you want it for no.3 it's no use anyway as it takes over the entire back seat. You'd have to strap the older 2 to the roof .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now