Talk

Advanced search

OMAN

(16 Posts)
babasaclover Wed 13-Nov-19 19:32:27

Has anyone been to Oman recently, I've been for a day trip but I want to book an actual holiday there now. If I book an all-inclusive will include alcohol? I feel like it should but I can't find anything on Google about it

OP’s posts: |
BathTangle Wed 13-Nov-19 19:37:32

We went all inclusive to the Al Jissah in April and yes there was alcohol apart from 1 day which was (I believe) the Prophet's birthday and we were asked very politely to respect the no alcohol rule.

BathTangle Wed 13-Nov-19 19:38:59

Or did you mean would an all inclusive deal include alcohol? I can't honestly remember as we are not big drinkers!

babasaclover Wed 13-Nov-19 20:21:20

Thanks @BathTangle. Yes I just meant can you actually drink, same as UAE. where did you book your holiday with? BA looks to be the best deals. Did you need a visa?

BathTangle Wed 13-Nov-19 20:30:08

Booked direct with hotel as flights were air miles from DH's work, so probably not the best deal!
You can apply for a Visa online via the Omani government website: I think it was free. It's a lovely place with very polite people.

SJane48S Fri 15-Nov-19 11:26:38

Not being deliberately unhelpful (and would add in that I'm not an AI fan) but I'm not sure Oman is an AI kind of holiday. By that I don't mean you won't find hotels offering that but as a country what it has to offer (unless all you are looking for is sunshine) does involve going out on the road, often for the full day. I just feel you might miss out a bit on Oman going AI - obviously it doesn't stop you making trips but if you know all good at the hotel is paid for it does disincline you a bit from exploring!

BathTangle Fri 15-Nov-19 21:19:31

I would actually agree @SJane48S. We hired a car from our hotel and spent a couple of days driving out through the mountains and Wadi Bani Auf, which was fantastic, if not for the faint hearted (we've done a lot of off road driving before)

babasaclover Wed 20-Nov-19 15:08:32

Thanks everyone, what would you suggest I do for days out. I've been before but only for the day on a boat from the emirates, my mum and dad used to live there though 40 years ago and have done allsorts.

Somewheredreamingofcheesecake Wed 20-Nov-19 15:16:57

You can get alcohol in Oman but I wouldn't see the point in going to Oman for AI. There is so much to see in Oman. If you want AI go somewhere closer and cheaper!

Visa isn't free but you can apply online. Not sure of exact prices.

Absa Wed 20-Nov-19 15:33:24

Go to the desert for a night or two excursion - fabulous.

babasaclover Wed 20-Nov-19 16:55:32

@Somewheredreamingofcheesecake I love the Arabian Sea and want to be there. Did ras al Khaimah last year with a few day trips. Really need proper down town though, a beautiful unspoilt quiet beach. I find that is possible in UAE (though I avoid Dubai nowadays) just fancy a different location but don't want to fly any further as just going for a week.

Want to go in October / November so the weather suits there.

Do you have any specific suggestions for excursions?

SJane48S Wed 20-Nov-19 17:22:02

Just copied over what I wrote on another post rather than re-write! Some of this you'll know already been!

" I'd base myself in Muscat, it's a pretty sprawling city backed by the mountains and on the coast. It's retained more of its history than Dubai (although has the shopping malls) and the souk, forts and the Grand Mosque give you a feel of that. The coastline is good for diving which you can book in advance. You could either do organised day/overnight trips from Muscat or hire a car and travel around yourself (I'd go for a four wheel drive so you can go off road). Quite a few of the trips will be expensive (nights under the stars in Bedouin tents etc) but you'll find cheaper ones too - try Viator. Go to Salalah & Misfat al Abryeen and into the Hajar mountains. There are a couple of luxury hotels in the mountains in Oman which look spectacular (if a little remote and probably very expensive!). "

Somewheredreamingofcheesecake Thu 21-Nov-19 02:24:09

I wouldn't bother with Salalah at that time of year and you'd need to fly.

What do you mean by proper down town? Or do you mean down time? If down time look at one of the nice hotels around Muscat. Where were you in RAK? There's nowhere with what I'd consider an unspoilt beach in RAK - they're all hotel developed beaches or fairly skanky. If there's a nice one I've missed I want go smile

Excursions, it depends what you like doing. I'd recommend Wadi Shaab and Jebel Akdar as a start. As a pp suggested personally I'd rent a car and travel round but Wadi Shaab should be day tripable from Muscat at least. I love Museirah island but probably too much off the beaten track.

earsup Thu 21-Nov-19 03:09:27

I went about 20 years ago and was unspoilt and lovely people and not all fake and chavvy like Dubai which was awful and left after few days.

Nanamilly Thu 21-Nov-19 03:33:49

Perhaps I knew your parents. 😊

As far as I’m aware we don’t have A1 packages but I know that a few of the better hotels do offer meal packages.

Alcohol is available but be aware we’ve just had a 100 percent sin tax added to alcohol/soft drinks/ciggies and a glass of wine in a restaurant can now cost 10 rials which is about 20 pounds. Truthfully though, even prior to the sin tax Oman would never have been seen as a holiday destination where people would have a really good drink. It’s just the way it is.

Next November we have the 50th National day and I think being here on the 18th of November would be great.

babasaclover Thu 05-Dec-19 08:11:11

Thanks everyone for the advice so far. Struggling to find direct flights. How did you ladies fly in? I'll be coming from london. BA operate Qatar airways but it's via Doha.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in