Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

heathrow for 8 hours!!??

(18 Posts)
nicm Sat 18-Aug-07 22:25:50

hi

me and dp are off on our hol's in september and have 8 hours in heathrow! we arrive at 2.10pm and fly out again at 10.15pm. we arrive and leave from terminal 1. so the question is, can we go into london or somewhere else local as i think staying in the airport for 8 hours might drive me crazy lol! we were thinking about getting the tube into london and going to the natural history museum(dp's idea!)

any tips or ideas greatly appreciated. x

tia

KerryMumbledore Sat 18-Aug-07 22:29:13

where are you coming from?

PestoMonster Sat 18-Aug-07 22:29:23

You can easily get the tube into London, but try and leave your luggage behind at the airport, coz that wouldn't be any fun at all. The tube trains run very frequently so you shouldn't have any problem doing that. The science museum is also rather good and the museums are free these days too.

KerryMumbledore Sat 18-Aug-07 22:30:16

You can leave your luggage at some of the train stations. Liverpool for example

PestoMonster Sat 18-Aug-07 22:34:53

But it's a long way to Liverpool from Heathrow, Kerry . Heathrow probably has left-luggage places itself.

wohmum Sat 18-Aug-07 22:35:54

as long as you can leave your luggage somewhere you shoudl be fine - it's an easy trip into the natural history museum on the picadilly line from heathrow - you won't even have to change! probably 40 mins each way, lovely cafe too (not cheap!) but a change from airport food!

check about leaving luggage though - maybe give the airport a call, esp with all the security stuff on.

PollyLogos Sat 18-Aug-07 22:42:27

better check the opening times of the museum though. may not get much time there if it closes at 5.00pm. It is quite tiring doing this (I have done something similar with my children)

KerryMumbledore Sat 18-Aug-07 22:44:24

Liverpool Street!

in London.

nicm Sat 18-Aug-07 22:45:00

hi

thanks for all your quick replies. KerryMumbledore we're coming from belfast so liverpool might be a bit far to go to leave our bags . i think we can check in with ba before we leave online, so can just leave our bags at a bag drop in heathrow and then we will be luggage free! wohmum, you don't happen to know what station we get off at for the museum? think i read south kensington but just wanted a quick mumsnet check

xx

KerryMumbledore Sat 18-Aug-07 22:45:54

It's South Kensington station - we were just there last weekend.

KerryMumbledore Sat 18-Aug-07 22:46:19

Museum was a bit of a dissapointment though tbh. Same with Science.

nicm Sat 18-Aug-07 22:53:48

tbh i don't mind what i do as long as it's not sitting in the airport! if anyone has any other ideas of things we could do instead then? i wouldn't mind going to the sights or something?

what time do you think we would need to get back to heathrow for our flight? i was thinking as long as wew were back for 7.30pm this would be enough time to go through security as we will already have checked in?

just worried about the whole increased security thing and the news always shows how busy heathrow is, compared to our usual small airport lol!

KerryMumbledore Sun 19-Aug-07 00:32:25

Stansted was pretty quiet for my 6a.m. Sunday morning flight but that's not saying much as it's not nearly as busy as Heathrow.

Have you done the sights before in London? You could get on one of those open air tourbuses. Not cheap though. They quote me an all-day on\off ticket of £19 for me and £12 for ds. They run very regularly around Piccadily Circus.

Or you could have a picnic in one of the parks.

The museums aren't bad just not what I was expecting for a major city. The ones in NY are much better.

There are many excellent art museums. The V&A is right next to the Natural history museum.

scienceteacher Sun 19-Aug-07 14:43:03

I'd just do a trip to Windsor, tbh. You're only talking about having five or six hours to kill - touristy stuff in Windsor followed by a leisurely meal.

scienceteacher Sun 19-Aug-07 14:44:16

It takes about an hour to get to central London by Underground. Express to Paddington is quicker (15 mins?), but then you'd need to pick up public transport from there to get to wherever you want.

lapsedrunner Sun 19-Aug-07 16:42:20

There is now a bus service every 30 mins linking Windsor & Heathrow.

nicm Mon 20-Aug-07 12:23:44

oh thank you, will look into windsor. quite fancy that. all advice and suggestions really appreciated.

x

BrownSuga Mon 20-Aug-07 12:25:56

my dh and had similar flying in from hong kong. we took the tube into traf square had a walk about and went to the movies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now