Talk

Advanced search

quick Q about arriving at airports.....how long before flight?

(13 Posts)
norkmaiden Sat 18-Aug-07 18:22:57

For a flight to Italy....how long do you need to arrive in advance?? Will probably check-in online (with BA), so hope to save time that way.

Any ideas??

TIA!

KerryMumbledore Sat 18-Aug-07 18:25:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

handlemecarefully Sat 18-Aug-07 18:26:46

regional airport probably 1.5 - 2 hours. Major airport 2 hours plus (phone first)

belgo Sat 18-Aug-07 18:26:59

you can check in online? Doesn't that defeat the object a bit? What about luggage etc?

what does it say on your ticket?

norkmaiden Sat 18-Aug-07 18:27:37

thanks, Kerry. Thought 2 was about right, though hoping to get away with less...

Better not risk it I guess.

Cammelia Sat 18-Aug-07 18:28:01

Minimum of 2 hours

norkmaiden Sat 18-Aug-07 18:29:54

It'll be Gatwick, though I haven't actually booked yet, Belgo (it's in a few months). I might manage with just hand luggage with some crafty packing, which would speed things up I guess. And yes online check-in is the new-fangled way to do things, apparently.

Thanks ladies for the help!

handlemecarefully Sat 18-Aug-07 18:30:58

It's not usually 2 hours for regional airports - I arrived about 1.5 hrs prior at both Southampton and Nice airports recently and no problemo

handlemecarefully Sat 18-Aug-07 18:31:23

Gatwick - would deffo get there 2.5 hours before

KerryMumbledore Sat 18-Aug-07 18:31:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

norkmaiden Sat 18-Aug-07 18:33:22

at Kerry!

I've been before, but can't remember a thing about the place though I know we took the train there <pre baby days all melted together in some sort of haze>

swampster Sat 18-Aug-07 18:50:18

Went out through Heathrow a couple of weeks ago - ABSOLUTE nightmare - queues out the door and no one seemed to know where they began and ended. More confusingly, it seems you have to check in electronically first using a couple of machines provided and THEN join the queue to dump your baggage. (So good idea to check in online first). We lucked out because we were pulled out and helped as we were travelling with two wee ones. But we were still traumatised by the experience. I hear Gatwick is generally better than Heathrow.

scienceteacher Sat 18-Aug-07 18:53:35

We arrived 3 hours before a flight to the US from Heathrow. With everything pre-registered beforehand, and being compliant with security, we were airside 2.5 hours before our flight. They called the flight about an hour beforehand, so we sat in a restaurant (Chez Gerard) for 1.5 hours. It was very civilised.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now