Talk

Advanced search

London recommendations ??

(12 Posts)
L012345 Wed 06-Nov-19 12:12:44

I’m trying to organise a 2 night max break for me and DH over Christmas as his gift. We have DC so 2 nights would be the absolute maximum we could go for but I don’t know where to start? Is there good locations or hotels people could recommend or any special/good restaurants I could book? Or any thing special anyone can think of? He does so much for us and I often can’t compete and want to do something for him. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

OP’s posts: |
InOtterNews Wed 06-Nov-19 12:17:28

Do have any ideas about what you want to do here i.e. see a show/museums etc. What kind of food do you both like?

What's your budget on the hotel - you can decent rooms in good locations starting around £120 a night upwards. But if you have an idea of activities this will help narrow your choices

L012345 Wed 06-Nov-19 12:58:16

@InOtterNews Thanks for the reply.

I think we’d probably go just before Christmas so would probably do a bit of shopping and if there is any fayres etc on. Not really into shows or museums tbh but wasn’t sure if there was any classic tourist things that is a must or a bit different or anywhere special to visit. Will need to have a think.
Budget for hotel preferably no more than £250 for the two nights but I don’t know if I’d need to go higher perhaps? He mostly enjoys steak but we also like most foods, Italian etc but I think a good steak restaurant would be appreciated!

L012345 Wed 06-Nov-19 12:58:16

@InOtterNews Thanks for the reply.

I think we’d probably go just before Christmas so would probably do a bit of shopping and if there is any fayres etc on. Not really into shows or museums tbh but wasn’t sure if there was any classic tourist things that is a must or a bit different or anywhere special to visit. Will need to have a think.
Budget for hotel preferably no more than £250 for the two nights but I don’t know if I’d need to go higher perhaps? He mostly enjoys steak but we also like most foods, Italian etc but I think a good steak restaurant would be appreciated!

InOtterNews Wed 06-Nov-19 13:36:04

For restaurants I recommend:
Hawksmoor Seven Dials
Temper
Franco's St James
Padella
Berber & Q (Exmouth Market)
NOPI

Hotels - you'll get more for your money in places like Waterloo over Covent Garden - but that's not to say a deal can't be found. Also, check our Clerkenwell/Barbican.

Transport is easy so you'll be fine in most areas.

Touristy things - well I don't really do them much unless I have friends visiting. As it's Christmas - check out Carnaby St/Kingly Court and Covent Garden - both would cover your shopping needs too.

But for slightly different things - there's the afternoon tea bus tour london.b-bakery.com/afternoon-tea-london/afternoon-tea-bus-london-tour/.

If you/DH likes beer take the Crate Brewery tour (Hackney).

Axe throwing www.whistlepunks.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-4nuBRCnARIsAHwyuPqWruVXkXi5M-p2sUZvkxMTwTfu-1TXHa92F8Ru5mBD6WAYCXjRR8QaAvkjEALw_wcB - it really is great fun (Vauxhall).

You could do an alternative walking tour (Spitalfields, Shoreditch, Brick Lane) - usually around 2 hours www.alternativeldn.co.uk/

InOtterNews Wed 06-Nov-19 13:40:14

If you're not into shows per se but like to laugh - go to a comedy gig at The Comedy Store. Also, London is great for music gigs

InOtterNews Wed 06-Nov-19 13:46:04

oh and Greenwich is lovely (market, the park, observatory, naval college, and the Cutty Sark)

L012345 Wed 06-Nov-19 13:48:31

@InOtterNews
Thank you so much for your help! So much to go on so I’ll make a start!

Last time we were in London we looked at shows but opted for a comedy night which was fab so that would be perfect!

Thanks again smile

thatdamnwoman Sat 09-Nov-19 13:46:21

Former Londoner here. I always, if I have the choice, like to stay in the Bloomsbury area. Admittedly that's because I like to go to the theatre and I can walk from the West End through Covent Garden back to the hotel afterwards. Buses very easy, tube at Russell Square and a Waitrose in the shopping centre at Russell Square for snacks etc.

I have often used the Bedford Hotel or the Tavistock:

www.imperialhotels.co.uk/en/bedford

which are in your budget. Nothing flashy but you will spend most of your days out and about and in my experience these hotels are clean and professional.

I've also stayed at the Grange White Hall hotel twice (booked by a relative who likes it). If you can get a room at the back of the hotel (but not the basement) it is nice and quiet overlooking a garden. It was a bit tired-looking the last time I was there but the location and the staff are good.

I'd suggest that in this price range it's best not to have breakfast in the hotel. Go out and find a cafe, there's one round every corner in this area. In good weather I have breakfast in the cafe in Russell Square and sit outside and watch the world walk through the gardens. Though possibly not in December.

I would urge you to fit in a show (you can get reduced-price tickets at the booth in Leicester Square) and visit Tate Modern or one of the many other world-class art galleries or museums. You can go shopping in your home town or nearest city but you can't always see a stunning musical or world-class art locally.

What sort of food do you like? If you're not foodies I'm not sure I'd suggest doing something really posh.

Kerridge's Bar and Grill in the Corinthia Hotel down by the Embankment has had some nice write-ups. It's up-market but familiar food. They do a good set lunch for £24 for two courses and I'm waiting for an opportunity to try it out myself. Obviously they also do an a la carte menu for lunch and dinner too if you want to really splash out.

www.corinthia.com/en/hotels/london/dining/restaurants/kerridges-bar-grill

Wear good shoes for walking because you'll cover miles.

Leflic Sun 10-Nov-19 02:59:57

We don’t live far from London but only go once or twice a year.

Last week Saturday evening we were coming through from north London to Waterloo.. The tube was shut so we got off at the now very beautiful Black Friars station ( it’s got massive glass windows with fantastic views over the Thames) and walked down the South Bank to Waterloo. Absoutely stunning! Really pretty with all the lights on amazing buildings, some street food stalls halfway down, busy but not crowded.

I love the Park Plaza Westminster although expensive you can often find a deal. Perfect location if you like a view and has a large indoor pool and spa.

MissClementine Mon 18-Nov-19 23:09:09

At Christmas the ice rink at Somerset House is really lovely to see, you don’t have to skate, just go and watch. It’s near Waterloo Bridge and The Strand.

MissClementine Mon 18-Nov-19 23:14:11

Also Regent Street is gorgeous at Christmas with the lights.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in