Talk

Advanced search

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED!!! Anyone had this problem?

(17 Posts)
LyraBelacqua Mon 13-Aug-07 10:24:18

We are due to fly to France tomorrow morning with BMI but we've discovered a problem. DS1's name on the ticket doesn't completely match the name on his passport (we used the shortened version of his full first name when booking the ticket) and now they say he might not be able to fly. They won't let us change the name on his ticket.
Has anyone else encountered this problem and were you able to fly in the end? We're really worried.

LyraBelacqua Mon 13-Aug-07 11:14:06

bump

Have BMI said if they'll let him fly???

The only thing I can think to do is to go to a solicitors this afternoon and legally change his name. It only costs £10 and is done instantly, you get a certificate. Take the certificate as well and you should be ok.

Just Married women can fly on their maiden name passport if they take their marriage certificate I think?

Then when yu get home change his name back again.

LIZS Mon 13-Aug-07 12:07:47

Usually you can make an amendment to the booking prior to check in for a small fee. If it is a recognisable derivative ie Sam for Samuel then they are being pedantic.

LIZS Mon 13-Aug-07 12:08:32

How much would a completely new ticket for him be ?

LyraBelacqua Mon 13-Aug-07 20:36:07

No, they're refusing to make the change and it is like the example you gave LIZS. A completely new ticket for him would be £230, which would have to come out of spending money.

LyraBelacqua Mon 13-Aug-07 20:36:39

No, they're refusing to make the change and it is like the example you gave LIZS. A completely new ticket for him would be £230, which would have to come out of spending money.

Ladymuck Mon 13-Aug-07 20:45:51

I would be amazed if they even noticed to be honest. Can you use online check in?

themoon66 Mon 13-Aug-07 20:47:57

We took our son's best friend on holiday with us and I'd booked it on line and put his name as Sam. Only in the check in queue when he gave me his passport to look after, did I notice he was 'Samuel' in it. Nobody said a word either outbound or on the way home either.

LyraBelacqua Mon 13-Aug-07 20:48:13

We've already checked in online but won't they notice at security? I'm so worried they'll turn us away.

themoon66 Mon 13-Aug-07 20:48:46

Oh, and the year before I'd accidentaly booked my mum onto easyjet as Mr and nobody noticed that either!

LyraBelacqua Mon 13-Aug-07 20:48:55

That's reassuring, themoon66.

themoon66 Mon 13-Aug-07 20:50:02

Security is more intested in looking at the picture and your face, and checking you for sharp nasty objects, rather than odd spellings I would have thought.

Ladymuck Mon 13-Aug-07 20:50:38

I think you've just spoken to someone at BMI who are trying to cover themselves. Quite oftem boarding cards only have initial and surname anyway. And how many children look like their passport photo?

LyraBelacqua Mon 13-Aug-07 20:52:16

DS1 is 5 and his passport photo was taken at 6 months, so he looks nothing like. DS2 (3) is worse - his was taken at 8 weeks

DontlookatmeIamborrrring Mon 13-Aug-07 20:53:27

We flew with Monarch and I'd forgotten my passport was in my maiden name (3 years after we got married) and I booked in my married name. I noticed as we were checking in and went to the sales desk where they just crossed the name out on the ticket and wrote the new one in! I really think it depends on the people you have to deal with - if you get a real jobsworth then it might cost you but if I were you I would just plead ignorance.

LyraBelacqua Mon 13-Aug-07 21:03:17

I think that's what we'll have to do. Hopefully they'll look at DS1 with his big brown eyes and little backpack full of books and toys and they won't have the heart to tell him he can't go on holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now