Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Rome, any tips for a short break?

(14 Posts)
macmama73 Sun 12-Aug-07 21:34:10

Who has been to Rome and can recommend a fantastic restaurant/bar... whatever.

We would love to hire a classic car, anyone ever done that in Italy?

Thanks for your help

vonsudenfed Sun 12-Aug-07 21:46:45

We took the Time Out Guide and got some v good restaurant recommendations from it - in fact if you CAT me, you can have it if you like!

We spent ten days - rented a flat in the very centre, which was great, as it gave us a place to flop when the crowds and heat got too much. Ate some fantastic meals for not too much money, did all the obvious sights and sites, walked everywhere pretty much.

In fact the only off the beaten track thing we did was, got a bus just to the outskirts, to Via Ostia Antica, which is a stretch of Roman Road which is closed to traffic on Sundays, and walked along it past villas and fields and sheep and amphitheatres along with lots of Italians. Ate wonderful icecream.

But given the way that the Romans drive, I'd think twice about renting a beaten up Punto, never mind a classic car...

kikidee Sun 12-Aug-07 21:54:48

Maccheroni is nice. Jamie Oliver recommended it in the Observer a while ago. Address is here.

macmama73 Sun 12-Aug-07 22:10:26

Vonsudenfed
Thanks for the offer of the Time Out guide, but we are in Germany so probably not worth posting.

Via Ostia Antica sounds lovely. We might hire a scooter instead of a car, seems to be difficult to find. We hired a scooter in Tuscany last year and it was great fun. Bit nervous about the driving in Rome though!

Skribble Sun 12-Aug-07 23:24:15

Classic car in Rome, argh the worry, its madness on those roads, its bad enough having to cross them. the thought of a scooter amoungst all that terrifies me too .

vonsudenfed Mon 13-Aug-07 09:29:02

ah right, will go through it in a bit and find the two or three places that we really liked (including the off-licence that serves amazing food at lunchtime!)

LIZS Mon 13-Aug-07 09:50:52

10 years ago (!) we ate at www.ristorantevecchiaroma.com/. Didn't take credit cards back then , worth checking as we had to return with cash next day

3Ddonut Mon 13-Aug-07 10:05:53

We ate at a couple of really lovely restaurants (sorry can't remember the names) right next to the Trevi fountain, we thought that they may be a bit too touristy but were very nice, one had paintings on the ceiling (mostly average but the pasta in tomato sauce was spot on!) and then theres one across from that with outdoor seating which is VERY nice, lovely steak with cinnamon and apple! I'm not a steak lover but it was really lovely!

3Ddonut Mon 13-Aug-07 10:06:23

Actually thinking about it, you'd be hard pressed to find somewhere not nice to eat!

macmama73 Mon 13-Aug-07 12:48:42

Thanks! << scribbles furiously in her little black book >>

Hmm, only one problem, I think we are going to have to extend our stay. Or eat out 4times a day.

vonsudenfed Mon 13-Aug-07 18:59:25

Right! In no particular order, we enjoyed...

Fiaschetteria Beltramme - very popular, bistro style fills up as soonas it opens at 8pm. Good, classic, Roman cooking. Via Del Croce 39. No bookings, not that expensive.

Enoteca Corsi - an off licence that does amazing, traditional food at lunch times; cheap and wonderful (and you sit amongst all the wine!). Via Del Gesu 87-88

Osteria Del Frezza - very different beast - modern trendy take on Italian food, but great fun. Wonderful cheeses - it's got a deli bit too. Via Del Frezza 16. Not that expensive either.

Il Gelato de San Crispino. They say this is the best ice-cream in the world, I haven't tried enough yet to judge, but it was pretty good. Via del Panneteria 42, v close to Trevi fountain.

Do get the Time Out guide if you can find it, it took us to all of these places!

RubySlippers Mon 13-Aug-07 19:02:09

this one pizzaria da baffetto
we had to queue for 35 mins but it was worth the wait
the best pizza we have ever eaten, served with local chilled (!) red wine - totally unpretentious - would highly recommend

RubySlippers Mon 13-Aug-07 19:03:00

would not try to drive in rome - lots of windy cobbled streets, and one way systems - parking is horrendous too

kindersurprise Wed 15-Aug-07 00:30:15

<< goes looking for a new black book >>

Thanks for the great tips. We have pretty much decided on a scooter, so I will have to look out my Roman Holiday DVD to get in the mood.

Macmama

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now