Talk

Advanced search

Somewhere (inexpensive) to get away to and write...

(16 Posts)
Pinkbonbon Fri 20-Sep-19 19:07:33

Been looking for somewhere for the duration of maybe 3 wks to a month to get away to and do some writing.

Somewhere with nice scenery/architecture for inspiration would be good.

Thought somewhere like Spain but the prices seem to be a lot more than they used to be! I would consider caravan sites ect in the UK but I don't drive so they need to be easily accessible. I was checking out Munich recently online and Prague, they look beautiful.

Anyway, just looking for suggestions.
Of course I could go to my local park n sit and write xD but making myself do it is easier said than done haha. So I thought a few weeks away somewhere beautiful, away from my usual distractions (*cough means of procrastination) would be a good shout. Could do with a relaxing hol anyway.

Anyone got ideas? X

OP’s posts: |
JoJoSM2 Fri 20-Sep-19 19:42:53

Is Spain that bad? I found it quite cheap inland, e.g. Ronda and surroundings. We went 2 years ago and I remember drinking coffee in a square for 1euro in disbelief how affordable it was.

JoJoSM2 Fri 20-Sep-19 19:44:06

Failing that, you could try going East, e.g. Bulgaria. Or spending a lot on a flight to then get very cheap accommodation and food, e.g. Bali.

Pinkbonbon Fri 20-Sep-19 19:48:01

Maybe I'm looking too much at the touristy areas.

Single woman traveling myself so would need to considers safety.

Probably thinking keep it in Europe as can't be fecked with a long plane trip.

Bulgaria might be a good shout though.

AudacityOfHope Fri 20-Sep-19 19:49:31

How about Scotland? Somewhere like Killinn where you could get a lodge or air bnb, next to Loch Tay.

HollowTalk Fri 20-Sep-19 19:50:20

There's a place called Liminisa (I think) in Greece that sounds lovely - they run creative writing retreats. Worth a look?

AppropriateAdult Fri 20-Sep-19 19:52:41

Have you googled writers’ retreats? It’s my fantasy to go on one of these some day. Beautiful surroundings, all day alone to write and nice dinners with other artsy folks in the evenings - bliss...

AudacityOfHope Fri 20-Sep-19 19:55:12

Dark Angels do a writers retreat in Spain, it's four days I think. I did their course in Northumberland, it was excellent.

Pinkbonbon Fri 20-Sep-19 19:58:35

I'm in Scotland have family north n I'm in the south. Wouldn't rule it out though, for the scenery factor. It isnt cheap though xD

I have considered writers retreats but tbh I think I would find them a but intimidating.

Pinkbonbon Fri 20-Sep-19 19:59:50

*might look at air bnbs, might be a good option smile

Pinkbonbon Fri 20-Sep-19 20:02:19

Would love to go somewhere near mount Olympus infact now that you mention greese! Bet I'd end up climbing it rather than writing though xD

walkintheparc Fri 20-Sep-19 20:03:28

I second somewhere quieter in Spain. Girona in the north of Catalonia is gorgeous. Cadiz in the south is also a lovely city and not as touristy as places like Seville or Granada (although both of those are good shouts if you can get decent flights!)

Rozanabanana Fri 20-Sep-19 20:43:52

I've always fancied a cruise as a writing holiday - not sure I'd enjoy it as a proper holiday. Seven day cruise from Southampton to New York, no need to think about any of the practicalities of life, just find a quiet corner and write. Then get off and enjoy the Big Apple. Or take a longer cruise with plenty of time at sea.

Ohyesiam Fri 20-Sep-19 21:32:37

Look into house sitting. I’ve been paid to stroke cats in rural Tuscany before now!

rrg1 Sat 21-Sep-19 07:20:29

I second Girona Province in Catalonia. The season is very short, usually about 6 weeks and holiday rentals are very cheap out of season, but it is very quiet and caters for locals with weekend visitors from across the border in France and Barcelona area.
If you want to be near the sea there are bargains to be had around L'Escala, L'Estartit, Palamos, Palafrugell. Look for private rentals directly from owners, as there are lots of second homes in this area, or contact local agents and negotiate, you will be able to get an apartment or small house around £500 for a month

lj10m75 Wed 02-Oct-19 02:57:49

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in