Talk

Advanced search

Spending money for Florida

(12 Posts)
yetanothernane Sun 15-Sep-19 10:49:46

Me, dp and DC(4 years) have booked 10 days in Florida for may 2020. We are spending a few days in Orlando (we don't have plans to go to the parks) and then the rest of the time on the west coast of Florida. We have already paid for car hire and our room doesn't include food, but we are planning on getting breakfast and snack items from the supermarkets as opposed to eating out and probably doing similar for lunch. Roughly how much do people reckon we should take? Were not massive spenders (so no fancy restaurants and neither of us drink). We sort of planned for about $200 a day. Any help or suggestions would be good!.we have plans to spend a few days at the beach and a few lazy days at the hotels (so should be low cost days) we want to go places like the Kennedy space center and gator land but we have planned to pre buy those more expensive tickets beforehand.

The only forums we find all contain people who are solely their for Disney (which we want to actively avoid), so for those who travelled the state roughly how much did you spend?

OP’s posts: |
WiseUpJanetWeiss Sun 15-Sep-19 10:57:46

Supermarkets are generally a little more expensive than here, chain restaurants a little bit cheaper. So if you work out what you’d spend here living a similar lifestyle, and convert it into $ (bearing in mind we’ve no idea how much the £ will be worth by then) you won’t be far wrong.

The Dibb board does cater mainly for the theme park visitors, but there are several sections that will help you with your planning e.g. Off the Beaten Track.

Your room may not have a kettle, so if you like your tea take a travel kettle with you.

WiseUpJanetWeiss Sun 15-Sep-19 11:04:14

I mean “Beyond the Parks”. D’OH!

RusholmeRuffian Sun 15-Sep-19 11:31:39

DP and I go to the States often and always budget $100 per day each. That's always worked fine.

maddiemookins16mum Sun 15-Sep-19 15:37:31

We’re in Florida right now. We purchased a large box of cereal and 4 litres of milk which we’re using for cheap quick breakfasts - cost was 10 dollars!

Ginfordinner Sun 15-Sep-19 15:43:17

When eating out avoid anywhere with waiter/waitress service as you will be expected to tip at least 18%.

Go to places with counter service/self service instead. We particularly liked Sweet Tomatoes which is basically an all you can eat place with a fabulous salad bar, and suited vegetarian DD down to the ground. Another favourite was Pei Wei Asian diner. Neither of these places are upmarket, but the food is excellent.

Another point to remember is that prices are displayed excluding tax, which is always added on at the till, so you will always end up paying more than you think.

TaskMistress Sun 15-Sep-19 15:58:08

Get a kids eat free card. I think they cost around £5 but there is a large list of chain restaurants that you can use it in.

I think £200 a day is ok

Scienceforthewin Sun 15-Sep-19 16:31:44

I'd say $200 would be fine. Kennedy is a full day (it is when I do it anyway!), so I stay locally overnight before (it's a bit of a drive from Orlando). There are 3D cinema shows which are good for around 2pm when it's hot.

yetanothernane Sun 15-Sep-19 16:59:01

That's for that, just wanted to check we weren't miles of with prices. We have heard that the supermarkets can be pricey, but Part of the reason we are going to grab bits from shops is partly due to DC being allergic to milk and eggs, so breakfast is a bloody nightmare when you eat out!

If anyone has any good website or 'insider tricks/places to go' would love to hear them.

OP’s posts: |
Ginfordinner Sun 15-Sep-19 17:57:34

Boggy Creek for an airboat ride and to see the alligators. Airboats are very loud so it is recommended that you wear ear defenders (which are provided).

Scienceforthewin Sun 15-Sep-19 22:32:00

Crayola (world? Land?) in Orlando is good for kids and not bad for adults

WisestIsShe Mon 16-Sep-19 21:48:43

Sign up to Groupon Orlando for some good offers on eating out/shows/ other days out.

Look at places you'd like to eat and sign up to their email, loads offer free starters etc.

If you're going to eat out a lot in the evening consider getting a Landry's card.
Have a blast!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in