Talk

Advanced search

Views on Ghent and/or Lille?

(8 Posts)
Lemonsorbetforme Wed 28-Aug-19 22:14:11

Got Eurostar vouchers to use and the choices are Ghent (and day in Brussels) or Lille (and day in Ghent).
Anyone care to share their thoughts, eg is Lille boring? Which is cheaper to eat and drink?
We like to wander around, stop and have a beer, and eat good local reasonably priced food. Not keen on touristy restaurants with menus in 5 languages.
Not hugely bothered about going into attractions (one art gallery or museum max!), prefer to wander and absorb life smile
Thanks in advance!

OP’s posts: |
Craftycorvid Wed 28-Aug-19 22:16:17

Thought for a moment this was a baby name thread grin apologies and as you were.

Lemonsorbetforme Wed 28-Aug-19 22:24:07

I’m def in the travel advice section! I promise if I have twins (boy and girl) I’ll consider Ghent and Lille smile

whatshappening101 Wed 28-Aug-19 23:18:30

Went to both this summer, Lille- not huge amounts to do and not really that amazing. Ghent wasn't on our original itinerary but friends recommended it so we went for the day- beautiful city. Would definitely recommend that over Lille

Eyewhisker Wed 28-Aug-19 23:20:23

Agree with Ghent. Really lovely city and not too touristy.

TheresWaldo Thu 29-Aug-19 10:13:32

Ghent is lovely. Pretty as Bruges without the crowds.

Lemonsorbetforme Thu 29-Aug-19 10:32:30

As I suspected! Thank you for taking the time to reply smile

Jumbojem Thu 29-Aug-19 21:59:25

We camped in Ghent for a week (in April and it was cold!). I have 10 and 12 year olds. They loved getting a waffle alongside the canal. Beautiful buildings, lots of people watching opportunities. They enjoyed the bell tower and walks in the park, obviously the chip stands (very cultural!). Everything was shut on a Sunday though (but it may have been Easter Sunday we were there). Lille is much more industrial.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in