Talk

Advanced search

Azores

(23 Posts)
amiw Mon 26-Aug-19 15:01:04

Hi, has anyone been to the Azores and have a must do/ visit/ see / eat? Going for 40th birthday in November. MN tips for Madeira were so useful!

OP’s posts: |
Branleuse Mon 26-Aug-19 15:06:39

following, as ive been wanting to go for years

amiw Mon 26-Aug-19 15:18:04

Thanks @Branleuse its a place I was vaguely aware of but do not know anyone who has been except DP mother. Her cruise to NYC had to shelter there for a bit due to bad weather/ rough seas in the atlantic but they did not really get off the ship!

Branleuse Mon 26-Aug-19 15:20:49

id love to take ds2 there whale watching, and it just looks so beautiful, but i cant work out when best time to go is

amiw Mon 26-Aug-19 15:29:32

@branleuse will let you know what early November is like 🤗

Branleuse Mon 26-Aug-19 23:27:57

ooh please do

TapasForTwo Thu 29-Aug-19 21:14:40

We went in 1994. Back then there were no direct flights from the UK, so we flew via Lisbon to Ponta Delgada on Sao Miguel. It is a very pretty island and very interesting.

which1 Sat 31-Aug-19 16:45:32

Almost went there but research told us that unless you rented a car (which we did not wish to do) it was very difficult to get out and about.

So we went to Madeira instead.

AFAIK it is not that well known about as a holiday destination.

Great dolphin/whale watching if you didn't already do it in Madeira.

Ginfordinner Sat 31-Aug-19 17:17:00

Yes, we hired a car while we were there. TBH we don't like driving abroad any more so we hired a taxi for the day when we were in Madeira earlier this year. It cost less than booking a tour for the three of us.

OneKeyAtATime Sat 31-Aug-19 19:16:38

We went last year and had an amazing time with lots of hikes ( get your own car), hot springs, etc. You can also go whale watching. There's not much to Ponta Delgada although it's not ugly. I can't remember any names though so not being helpful but if you look up a few travel blogs you will find all the answers there. Have fun!

amiw Sun 29-Sep-19 08:50:01

5 weeks to go!

Ginfordinner Sun 29-Sep-19 20:19:05

Which island are you going to: I can recommend some places to visit if it is Sao Miguel.

amiw Sun 29-Sep-19 23:06:02

It is Sao Miguel!

DotBall Sun 29-Sep-19 23:55:03

Definitely hire a car. The roads are very good. The hot springs are great fun and the caldeiras in the west are interesting.

Ginfordinner Tue 01-Oct-19 07:20:01

This website lists all the must see sights on Sao Migual.

The main things I also remember are the attractive architecture with the whitewashed buildings and volcanic stone edging, the unexpected fumaroles on the sides of hillsides, and the beautiful hydrangea hedges, although I think it will be the wrong time of year for the hydrangeas. Oh, and the potatoes there are like nothing else. Who would have thought that plain boiled potatoes could be so good.

Enjoy your holiday.

amiw Sat 26-Oct-19 11:53:19

Just a week left to go so will post when back @Branleuse

Branleuse Sat 26-Oct-19 16:34:39

:D looking forward to hearing all about it. Will you go whale watching?

amiw Sun 27-Oct-19 07:42:18

@Branleuse we are planning to!

amiw Wed 13-Nov-19 00:16:23

Truly beautiful. We swam in the thermally heated sea. Went in the hot iron rich pool in terra nostra. Climbed up to view the twin lakes and explore the abandoned hotel. Climbed down to lake fogo. Lots of climbing!

Branleuse Wed 13-Nov-19 12:14:08

sounds incredible. Thanks for reporting back!

Jungfraujoch Thu 21-Nov-19 14:41:10

Hi - I’m looking at Azores for next summer! Anyone got accommodation recommendations please?

amiw Sat 23-Nov-19 08:28:42

We stayed in a house. There are a few options on booking.com

Jungfraujoch Sat 23-Nov-19 11:22:15

Thanks Amiw. I’ll have a look.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in