Talk

Advanced search

France - risk of tiger mosquitos?

(7 Posts)
commuters30 Thu 22-Aug-19 13:18:28

Hi, while there's no Zika virus in France, I hear there's an outbreak of Tiger Mosquitoes that can carry the Zika virus. Would it be sensible to avoid travelling there altogether for a holiday until after birth? Or is there actually no risk at all in France?

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Thu 22-Aug-19 13:21:30

Those Tiger mosquitos are everywhere as they are also in spain. They may have the capability to transmit Zika but that doesn't mean they are going to or are contaminated with it

dementedpixie Thu 22-Aug-19 13:25:29

Take plenty of repellent

SuziGeo Fri 23-Aug-19 22:05:14

I live in France and I'm pregnant. No news of the Zika virus here and it's not something that the Dr or midwives have ever mentioned as a concern. Some of my mosquito bites get a bit more inflamed than others (and I assume those are the tiger ones, but don't actually know). I hate the repellent spray smell and texture on my skin. During night I use plug in repellent while sleeping and when out in the evening try to wear trousers and long sleeves. Generally this summer hasn't been too bad for mosquitoes though.

theministryhasfallen Fri 23-Aug-19 22:37:08

Are they in the uk at all?? I swear I saw one in my house last week!!!

zafferana Mon 26-Aug-19 11:27:29

You can get tiger mosquitoes in southern England - I've been bitten by the little bastards!

luiscrafter507 Fri 29-Nov-19 12:26:18

yes specialy middle of france tc

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in