Talk

Advanced search

Where would you go in October (next yr) for £2500?

(26 Posts)
smurfgirl Sat 04-Aug-07 19:53:29

Am thinking vaguely about honeymoon.

Budget is £2500 or thereabouts. Can only really go for up to 10 days.

Not entirely sure what I want really. Am not into backpacking round india. I usually do packages to Greece etc but the weather in the med is not fantastic in October.

It does not have to be a sunshine holiday but if its to a sunshine type resort I want nice weather. I don't mind bland all inclusive resorts either.

Oh and no driving - we don't have a car and it costs us a fortune to hire because we are under 25.

Definately not the Maldives. Have considered Mexico, Cyprus, city break...but feel a bit lost.

Waswondering Sat 04-Aug-07 20:00:47

We went to Puerto Vallarta on the west coast of Mexico on an all-inc holiday for honeymoon - it was different as normally people go to Cancun. We really enjoyed it. Long flight though.

Mauritius always appealed to me, but don't know about costs.

Could you do the Canadian Rockies? Do a fly drive to Calgary - my colleague then picked up a big campervan thing and had an amazing honeymoon using it (think small hotel on wheels!, def not camping!!)

Have fun planning it.

Nemo2007 Sat 04-Aug-07 20:03:46

Ohh we went to Egypt for our honeymoon and in nov, was glorious and the most fantastic holiday I have ever been on. We stayed in Luxor for 1 week then hurghada for a week. Think it cost £1500 but that was nearly 6yrs ago now.We didnt drive we just hired a Kalesh[sp?] horse drawn carriage and the same one will turn up at your hotel everyday to pick you up

smurfgirl Sat 04-Aug-07 20:05:11

Waswondering - we can't hire anything to drive because when you are under 25 it costs a small fortune in extras.

Mercy Sat 04-Aug-07 20:07:14

How about New England (have never been so have no idea re cost but would love to go)

Do you def want sun?

smurfgirl Sat 04-Aug-07 20:12:46

No not bothered about sunshine Mercy - but again its the driving thing, I have priced it up but it adds a good £300 to the price of car hire which is a hell of a lot, and a lot of the fly drives are for over 25s.

Mercy Sat 04-Aug-07 20:15:01

sorry, I missed the driving thing.

Will think again. Actually North Africa may be a good idea then. Tunisia?

SueW Sat 04-Aug-07 20:15:41

Libya

Nemo2007 Sat 04-Aug-07 20:36:14

Have been to Tunisia aswell a couple of times as a child. It was generally quite nice, few places to go if you are into the trips side of things?

SueW Sat 04-Aug-07 20:38:21

Truly, Libya

moodymoo Sat 04-Aug-07 20:59:20

We went to egypt last year for our honeymoon and it was great - stopped at the ritz carlton for 2 weeks for approx £1800 bb - pure luxury compared to what we are used to. Would recommend it - days were spent mostly by the hotels many pools, or on the private beaches or snorkelling. Evenings were spent in sharm el sheikh - which really comes alive on a night with shisha bars etc. It is so cheap when you get there and loads of great excursions to do if you like that kind of thing.Has a great mix of restaurants with traditional thru to modern - hard rock cafe, mcdonalds, kfc and pizza hut. If you like to drink you may prefer to go all inclusive as alcohol can be expensive in the hotels, not so bad in the resort though.Most of the hotels are newly built and are of a really good standard.

Cyprus is also great at that time of year - really good weather and beaches are gorgeous. Eating out and stuff can be quite expensive - almost like being back at home. Very similar to greece so you should like it.

Your may struggle with the 10 night limit (used to work as a travel agent and really struggled with these) but this may have changed since last year. Wouldn't recommend longhaul if you are going for less that 10 nights.

If you do want longhaul cuba is supposed to really nice and you can get some great bargains to there. Know loads of people who have been and loved it. Mostly all-inclusive here and you will tied to your hotel.

Also if you go longhaul you may need to have vaccinations etc and travel insurance can be more expensive for those destinations.

Sorry for going on kinda got back into travel agent mode there

If you want any more info am happy to waffle on again

smurfgirl Sat 04-Aug-07 21:08:35

Tunisia is apparently not that great weather wise in October.

We have considered Cuba but its hurricane season in that part of the world which is a concern.

I have been to Cyprus (went in May) and loved it but again would the weather be ok?

Seem to find that October is rainy/hurricane season in tropical places but cooler in med places.

I don't want to go to Egypt really.

PestoMonster Sat 04-Aug-07 21:17:06

If you haven't been to the Caribbean before, I would like to recommend
here

We went for 2 weeks last August with the dds and liked it so much that we returned without the girls for February half-term.

You can get good deals on this hotel via teletext and the food is fab. I would say very nice for honeymoon. We saw a wedding there last year too, which looked gorgeous.

moodymoo Sat 04-Aug-07 21:34:32

We went to Cyprus at end of October and it was boiling - had a few thunderstorms on a night but didn't last long and it was usually whilst we were in room getting ready to go out. Would say that of you are a fan of Greece then Cyprus would be a great choice for you. We are big Greece addicts (not suprising since I am half greek) and we loved Cyprus. Think the best beaches are around protaras (fly into Larnaca). Ayia Napa is where main nightlife is but we found that cos it wasn't peak season it wasn't that busy.

moodymoo Sat 04-Aug-07 21:36:38

whoops - sorry just realised you have already been to CYprus - so obviously you will know what it's like -sorry

littlelapin Sat 04-Aug-07 21:38:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scienceteacher Sat 04-Aug-07 21:49:04

Beijing...

My DH goes there on business quite a bit. The flight isn't too long - same as flying to somewhere like Miami. Once you are there, everything is dead cheap. He stays in luxury hotel for about £60 a night.

j20baby Sat 04-Aug-07 21:50:06

We went to Sharm el Sheik in Egypt last November, it was lovely but could have done to be a bit warmer, so Oct would probably be ideal-it cost about £1000 for 2 adults and a child for a week all inclusive, would definately reccomend!

j20baby Sat 04-Aug-07 21:51:29

you don't need to drive either, taxi's are to be haggled, we paid about £4 for half an hours drive

legalalien Sat 04-Aug-07 22:00:47

morocco.

or Jordan. You'd probably be best to do a guided tour, but I reckon it'd be quite nice to do something relatively basic, with "luxury" nights at either end.

Mind you, we went to Scotland for our honeymoon!

theabear Sat 04-Aug-07 22:11:04

I went to Egypt for my honeymoon and got the worst case of food poisoning ever. Was on the toilet for most of the holiday, not ideal for a romantic honeymoon!!! We ended up having a "second" honeymoon in the Canadian rockies which was wonderful, the scenary was amazing, but if you don't want to drive then maybe not!!

How about Malaysia? Kuala Lumpur is an amazing city for a few nights (and great shopping), and there are some lovely beach resorts for relaxing afterwards!!

Beyonceen Sat 04-Aug-07 22:12:29

The Bavarian Alps. Fly into Munich. Absolutely heaven on earth. Spa and healing in the mountain air. What more do you want?

lilolilmanchester Sat 04-Aug-07 22:25:15

Beyonceen, I once spent a whole summer in the Bavarian Alps. Working, but truly heaven on earth as you say.
Smurfgirl: I'd look at not blowing your whole budget on the flights/accommodation, and make sure you leave a good amount over for luxurious treats while you are away - nice meals, beauty treatments, day trips etc etc

foxcub Sat 04-Aug-07 22:35:53

Taormina in Sicily - breathtakingly beautfiful and very, very chic

Nightynight Sat 04-Aug-07 23:34:52

lol beyoneen, we live in the bavarian alps. what you say is true - it is heaven for tourists. hell for immigrants though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now