Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been to Villa Pia in Tuscany/Umbria ?

(14 Posts)
susiemum Fri 03-Aug-07 08:59:12

We have booked to go to Villa Pia in September with dd (15 mths).

I have just read a (very grumpy) review of Villa Pia here.

Reviews on mumsnet and tripadvisor are generally pretty good but the one thing that bothered me in this latest review was the comment that the bedrooms don't have locks on them...

Can anyone who has been comment on this ?

Thanks

S

wizzywig Fri 03-Aug-07 19:01:17

sorry i havent been but from the webiste it looks lovely. im gagging to go. can you update this thread to say what its really like. good luck!

Califrau Fri 03-Aug-07 19:14:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Califrau Fri 03-Aug-07 19:17:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kaz33 Fri 03-Aug-07 19:26:56

I've been about 3 years ago. DS1 was 3 and DS2 was 1.

Can't remember about their being locks on bedrooms, though probably would have left them open anyway as if DS1 had got up then he would have known where to find us - in the courtyard downstairs or having dinner in the barn.

CountessDracula Fri 03-Aug-07 19:28:07

i have heard rumour that there is lots of braying and jumbo cord action

Kaz33 Fri 03-Aug-07 19:35:29

Now read the review - agree that it is a bit out of the way and a bit of a hike to things to do. In bad weather not a great deal of fun, toys were ok but the problem with providing great toys is that they would go walkabout

We found that it was a bit difficult with 3 year old and 1 year old as the weather was up and down and they needed lots of our attention.

A 2 year old is difficult to entertain, its cheaper than a mark warner holiday and maybe thats what the reviewer actually expected.
Better with older kids and good weather I would think.

We left early and stayed two nights in florence as a treat instead, the weather was cold and DH was getting a bit fed up with the home counties couples in the communal meals. But then we are a bit uppity, despite being home counties ourselves.

pointydog Fri 03-Aug-07 19:38:18

countessdee, var funny

cameroonmama Sat 04-Aug-07 10:13:30

We went in Easter 06, I posted my comments here

NKF Sat 04-Aug-07 10:28:14

Interesting to hear about it. It looks beautiful but I wonder if it wouldn't be better with one's friends. I don't really like the idea of dinner every night with strangers.

susiemum Mon 06-Aug-07 16:45:46

thanks for all your responses. will report back once we have been there.
S

kittenlover Mon 06-Aug-07 20:07:15

Hi - a late addition to this thread but just to say me, DH, DS 1 & 2 have been to Villa Pia 3 times now. Pros and cons.

On the plus side, we loved the location (fabulous swimming pool setting plus close to so many lovely days out), amazing food (I once gained 7lbs in a week), safe & relaxed ambience (kids will inevitably pal up and the older ones in particular can enjoy lots of relative freedom around the grounds) and of course the fact that neither parent had to cook, clean etc etc for a whole week. Obviously we've enjoyed it given we've gone back several times and it really is a unique experience.

However, I have to confess I found the communal evening meals a mixed affair. Sometimes did feel like freshers week twenty years on (as another mumsnetter commented) and as we're not lawyers, city types etc and live in Newcastle with obviously northern accents I did sometimes feel a little out of place (apologies to london lawyers - no offence! ).

But it varies from group to group - we've had the stock broker set one time and another hol featured I think no less than 4 anaesthetists! It is a bit like the Tuscan Boden shoot - but given my kids are 90% boden clad I'm hardly one to judge. Hold your own, vary your meal neighbours from night to night though and you will find some people you have stuff in common with.

But on the actual question.....no locks on the doors as far as I remember but it really doesn't feel at all unsafe. The only people in and out of the building are guests and staff.

Have a fantastic holiday - I'm sure you will - let us know how it went.

xxxx

welshmum Mon 06-Aug-07 20:15:15

We loved it. Maybe we hit a good crowd but got on with most of them and made a couple of friends that we still see now. Stayed up some nights drinking and playing games, it was fun. Children (then 4 and 18 months) loved it too. Dd made a lovely friend she hung out with all week, they did the cooking and the art etc I had an Italian cookery lesson too - fab.
The food was amazing and it was wonderful to have almost everything done for you.
My best memory was swinging in the hammock chair, with the 2 children cuddled up, looking out over the truly amazing views and telling funny little stories.
Just grand.
Hope you like it too.

cameroonmama Tue 07-Aug-07 09:22:30

I forgot to add that it was someone I met there who told me about MN in the first place

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now