Talk

Advanced search

does anyone know roughly how much a black cab costs from.....

(23 Posts)
pandagirl03 Wed 01-Aug-07 23:23:27

Hello does anyone know roughly how much a black cab will cost me from paddington to parsons green tube station. I have never been to london before so my dp has told me to catch a cab, but im a bit worried about the cost as i dont know how far it is. many thanks.

TheBlonde Thu 02-Aug-07 07:30:34

It is about 4 miles
tariff list here

aznerak Thu 02-Aug-07 08:21:24

What time of day will it be? If it is at peak times, it could take a while because of traffic. Although, as the crow flies it isn't far, it could take a while and that is when it starts costing!

If you don't mind getting a tube, it is really straightforward.

At Paddington, head for District line.

You need to get on a WIMBLEDON train.

This will take you straight to Parsons Green and take about 18 mins for a couple of pounds.
If you need to do the same on the way back, at Parsons Green, just get a tube to EDGWARE ROAD and again, it is a direct train. They are every few minutes at all times of day so very simple.

Hope that helps!

Azure Thu 02-Aug-07 08:40:12

I would guess it would cost a good £20, but it really does depend on time of day. I second Aznerak's suggestion of the tube, unless you've got loads of luggage and / or small children.

pandagirl03 Thu 02-Aug-07 09:43:21

hello thanks for that, i have to be somewere for 9am. so i guess thats going to be rush hour. I haven't been on a train for years so im woried about the whole thing. dp said when i get off at paddington i can just get a tube, but you lot are saying a train then tube. What do you think is the best thing for me to do?? thanks for your help

sazzybee Thu 02-Aug-07 09:46:58

aznerak is talking about tubes the whole time in her post - just that the word train and tube tend to be somewhat interchangeable which can obviously be a bit confusing!

Definitely follow her directions and get the tube - you'll be stuck in traffic that time of day if you get a cab and will get too stressed and/or will miss your appointment.

aznerak Thu 02-Aug-07 09:49:00

Once you arrive into Paddington Mainline, the ONLY thing you need to do is take 1 underground train (better known as tube!).

As long as you make your way to the district line from the Mainline station and take a WIMBLEDON train, it will get you there in under 20 minutes.

Promise it is that easy!

Kewcumber Thu 02-Aug-07 09:50:00

tube would be quicker at rush hour than cab and it is very easy - allow a bit longer than you need but surprisingly the underground staff are very helpful.

pandagirl03 Thu 02-Aug-07 09:52:36

ok looks like its a tube then, thanks so much for that. i definatly dont want to be late im off for a makeover. will someone tell me which tube stop i need to get off or will it be obvious. thanks

Kewcumber Thu 02-Aug-07 10:04:57

you shouldn;t miss it - its called "parsons Green"!

aznerak Thu 02-Aug-07 12:08:47

It is really simple.

You get on at Paddington.

You go through:

1. Bayswater
2. Notting Hill Gate
3. High Street Kensington
4. Earls Court
5. West Brompton
6. Fulham Broadway
7. PARSONS GREEN

I suggest you go onto multimap here http://www.multimap.co.uk and put in the postcode you are going to and you can then see how far it is from Parsons Green tube station.

Good luck and enjoy your makeover!

pandagirl03 Thu 02-Aug-07 13:10:21

thanks very much for that is there different platforms i will need to get on?? and how much is the tube likely to cost me. thanks

PinkMartini Thu 02-Aug-07 13:40:00

You just need to follow the signs to the WESTBOUND district line tube (it's the Green line)

It is REALLY IMPORTANT you get a WIMBLEDON tube, the platform indicator will show you where the train is going. Don't be afraid to ask people as you get on, "is this going to Wimbledon?" not all Londoners are ogres!

If you're paying by cash it will be £4 (I think, there may be a higher price for peak but I don't think so) for a single ticket. (you may want to get a cab back if you've got new hair etc!)
Your best bet is to make sure you have plenty of pound coins with you for hte ticket machine (in the underground ticket hall)

Have fun.

bagsundereyes Thu 02-Aug-07 13:44:29

No peak charges on the underground for singles, so it's just £4. If you might be making another journey, a peak travelcard for zones 1-2 is only £6.60, so might me worth it.

Esp as I reckon you wouldn't get any change from £15-20 for a cab.

pandagirl03 Thu 02-Aug-07 14:08:34

oh excellent, thanks so much for you help. Im feeling really nervous. Im going for a trinny and susannah makeover so i hope the day goes well. x

PinkMartini Thu 02-Aug-07 15:05:37

Are you going to be on telly?
Are they not paying for you to get to the studio?

pandagirl03 Thu 02-Aug-07 15:07:58

Not going to be on telly but going into a newspaper instead. They are paying for my travel, they have ordered my train tickets im waiting for them to arrive at my house. When i explained to them i had never been to london the lady said catch a black cab and they would pay for it. But i wasn't sure if that was the best thing to do.

PinkMartini Thu 02-Aug-07 15:10:35

Ooh when? we want to see you.
Did they tell you to take different underwear?
Make sure you take a black/white and flesh coloured bra if you can.

PinkMartini Thu 02-Aug-07 15:11:02

How far away are you coming from?

pandagirl03 Thu 02-Aug-07 15:13:47

Im going there next wed, so not sure when it will be in the paper, i think fri. Will find out and let you know. They didn't say to take different underwear but i had to tell them what size i am etc. Im coming from Gloucestershire.

Azure Thu 02-Aug-07 15:15:18

How exciting! If they're going to pay for a cab, do that - don't forget to ask for a receipt, though.

PinkMartini Thu 02-Aug-07 15:17:52

I would definitely take the underwear, they may have some but if you have some at home, it doesn't hurt to bring them with you, just gives you more options and means you'll look even better in the pictures.

Take a strapless bra too.

Hth and have a great time. From what I have heard they are very professional and will make it all really easy.

good luck

pandagirl03 Thu 02-Aug-07 15:21:31

Hiya, good point, might go buy some new ones. I bought some new knickers yesterday to take with me. I cant wait. Just worried about them cutting my hair really short.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: