Talk

Advanced search

need place to picnic on the A9 in scotland going north to inverness and beyond please.

(59 Posts)
cylon Wed 01-Aug-07 21:39:50

or eat in nice restaurants etc.
tia

bramblina Wed 01-Aug-07 21:44:39

The A9 starts nr Stirling! Where exactly do you mean? And it goes up to (I think as far as) Wick! You've got quite a large window there!

calordan Wed 01-Aug-07 21:48:12

I love the balnaluig services, really old fashioned and kitch, just off the A9, cant help more than that its about half way i think from edinburgh, hope it is still there havent done the journey in years, let me know if it is.

macmama73 Wed 01-Aug-07 21:54:08

Just past Blair Atholl is Bruar Falls, and the fab House of Bruar We often stop here, you can have a wander around the shop, eat in the restaurant (lovely home baking, yummy soups). They have a little playarea at the back of the car park so that the DCs can let off steam or you can have a walk up to the Falls of Bruar.

cylon Wed 01-Aug-07 21:56:44

thank you girls, will have a look at these places.
we are going to bonar bridge, in sutherland. driving up from edinburgh on saturday. i'd like to break the journey at nice places and am looking for some info on that.
in england i found lots of wewbsites, but nothing seems to have come up when i do a similar search for scotland. makes me england is NOT the entirety of the uk

Pruners Wed 01-Aug-07 21:59:04

Message withdrawn

calordan Wed 01-Aug-07 22:01:00

oh you will love it, best thing to do is go on the scottish tourist inf website or call them up, but even if you cant find it in advance you could wing it the places are there,

tassisssss Wed 01-Aug-07 22:04:47

aviemore's super tacky...but good for a potter

house of bruar, 10 miles north of pitlochry is AMAZING (google it)

tassisssss Wed 01-Aug-07 22:05:33

sorry, see macmama did a link for HofB...you have to stop there!

TheShopaholic Wed 01-Aug-07 22:08:37

I'll second House of Bruar. We usually stop here on our way to Sutherland. Restaurant is great and the toilets (v important!!) are spotless.

Waswondering Wed 01-Aug-07 22:08:50

(tass - how's the user name going - any chance of reverting?)

cylon Wed 01-Aug-07 22:11:11

calordan, are you talking aboutthe balanuig truck stop? the websiste has a lovely song playing .

cylon Wed 01-Aug-07 22:12:31

house of bruar. can we goi in looking a bit , well the kids will be more htan a bit scruffy from the drive up?
looks very very nice. [read posh]

cylon Wed 01-Aug-07 22:13:04

pruners, in ralia, any specific place?

calordan Wed 01-Aug-07 22:13:45

yes yes yes, it is just unlike anything you would see in england, but i have to repeat i have not been there for years and would have been about 16 last time

Waswondering Wed 01-Aug-07 22:14:15

my mum loves the house of bruar!

Don't worry about not being posh - least of your worries!!

calordan Wed 01-Aug-07 22:14:39

plus grantown on spey, nice river can take picnic down to river

Sheherazadethegoat Wed 01-Aug-07 22:15:20

dunkeld is a lovely stop off, couple of nice places to eat and a nice walk by the river to stretch your legs. or the hermitage just past dunkeld is a national trust forest walk type place, perfect for a picnic.

have always avoided house of bruar as presumed it was tackarama.

cylon Wed 01-Aug-07 22:21:48

calordan, grantown onspey. its a town. will there be any signposts to river? or will i be able to just wing it, as you said earlier?

shopaholic, how long will it take me? can i realistically do it in one day, having driven up from london to edinburgh the day before? or am i completly and utterly insane?

Sheherazadethegoat Wed 01-Aug-07 22:22:51

grantown is a bit of a step out of your way.

Pruners Wed 01-Aug-07 22:25:58

Message withdrawn

cylon Wed 01-Aug-07 22:27:05

sherezade, i have been sitting in front of this pc for threee and a half hours and feel my head is going to implode. i was following the a9 north on streetmap, and didnt even realise i was on the wrong road.
why o why do i find a place so far a way, and then drive there? with 70 year old dad, and three kids? need to factor in lots and lots of toilet breaks.

i know why. because if i can plan a trip like this, then maybe we get to see someof the country along the wya. instead of the sterilitiy of airports.

Pruners Wed 01-Aug-07 22:27:05

Message withdrawn

cylon Wed 01-Aug-07 22:30:25

pruners. i am going square eyed on this pc.
thank you so much all of you. word of mouth reccomendations are worth sooo much more to me than b)(&y websites.
wouild ralia have toilets? midn you, ds2 loves the outdoors and a chance to see open space and stretch will be wonderful.

Pruners Wed 01-Aug-07 22:30:27

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now