Talk

Advanced search

Brittany Ferry Advice for a total novice

(6 Posts)
RachelElise Mon 29-Jul-19 15:19:24

After dithering too long about booking our holiday in August, I have been unable to get us a cabin or even any reserved seats on the ferry from Portsmouth to Caen.... it's a day journey so it could be worse but I'm still worried we'll be sitting on the floor somewhere trying to keep children from whining the whole way... There are four of us, kids are 5 and 7. We are on the Normandie ferry. Does anyone have any top tips of where to head for to get a seat in the scrum, where to base ourselves? Is it worth getting there ludicrously early to get on first? does it even work like that?? Is there a waiting list for cabins/seats? As you can see.... novice.
Never stepped foot on a ferry before and would like the children's first time to be fun too!
Thank you.
R

OP’s posts: |
wobytide Mon 29-Jul-19 15:28:55

It's fine, to be honest you will probably end up being dragged around the different decks and inside and outside.

As per the ship guide www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ships/cruise-ferries/normandie/onboard-dining-and-bars#tab-3 sounds like the cafe near the soft play area would make most sense for you to try and base yourself. There are plenty of unreserved seats and benches around the different floors. It will go relatively quickly I'm sure

Buyitinbamboo Mon 29-Jul-19 15:34:40

We did the same crossing last year and didn't have a cabin or seat. We really didn't need it! we had a 2 year old so we spent the day walking around the boat, did soft play, went to the bar area where they had entertainment for kids on, had some breakfast, then some lunch later. There was no shortage of somewhere to sit at all. We didn't need to base ourselves anywhere.

SwedishEdith Mon 29-Jul-19 15:34:41

You can usually book a cabin onboard. Go straight to the Info desk when you get on. Well, after the other adult has found 4 seats in a cafe or somewhere.

Milliefizz Fri 02-Aug-19 15:51:36

I think you will be fine. Just don't take too much stuff out of the car as you will be walking up and down lots of steps with whatever you take throughout the crossing. When you get on find out about bookings for the cinema and restaurant if you want either. The main restaurant can be good value with younger children as the children's meal prices are very cheap and they also get a BF goody bag at the end. Your kids will probably enjoy being up on deck as the ship leaves (and at the end when it arrives in Caen). In the summer hols they usually put on children's entertainment so you could sit in the café nearest that. I would not worry about trying to keep one particular table as everyone else will be moving around so it is likely you will find somewhere to sit when you need to. The restaurant will probably be oversubscribed so if you want that you will need to queue at the allocated time.

RachelElise Tue 06-Aug-19 16:48:04

Thanks everyone, starting to look forward to it now!! I've had the buffet restaurant recommended to me by a few people.

Happy Hols!
x

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in