Talk

Advanced search

Clothes for Lapland?

(9 Posts)
breezylovers Sat 27-Jul-19 13:56:04

What do we need to take please?

OP’s posts: |
muddledmidget Sat 27-Jul-19 14:06:35

Are you just going for the day or for a longer stay? And are you spending much time outside, ege, snowmobiling and dog sledding? Whats already included if you've booked a trip? When we went to Sweden our snow suits, boots, gloves and hats were included so we took base layers, and joggers, long sleeved t shirts and jumpers to wear as layers underneath them. If nothing is included, is it possible to hire them where you're going as I don't think I'd ever have worn them again!

SkelterHelter Sat 27-Jul-19 14:16:13

Presumably in the winter? First off, is find out what is provided for you - for example do they provide snow boots and snow suits?

For underneath, layers are best, wool and synthetics, no cotton. Aldi do great merino base layers very reasonably priced. Uniqlo also do some, but not sure if they are merino. So merino Long Johns and long sleeved tops, fleece on top of that, and a snow suit/padded jacket and trousers (Aldi ones were fine). Where we went recently it was in the minus 30s but this was the very North of Finland (not a children's trip but I have also been further south with children, it was minus 17) so we added running leggings on top of long Johns and under padded trousers.

Skiing mittens and a pair of liners, fleece lined woolly hat and if you don't want to buy snow boots, sturdy walking boots with woolly socks were fine. And lastly (!) a fleece lined woolly snood.

PenguinsRabbits Sat 27-Jul-19 14:35:06

When are you going? I have been in summer and winter.

In winter we had pre booked a trip so all snowgear was provided - gloves, boots, snowsuit and in addition needed thermals, socks, layers. In hotels it was very hot so big variation in temp from c.25C inside to c.-25C outside.

In summer was about 20C and dry. So trousers and a top, few days hotter and more t-shirts and shorts.

breezylovers Sat 27-Jul-19 14:36:05

Thanks for your replies. We are there for 5 days and will have snow suit and boots provided. We have huskies, snow mobile, reindeer etc included in trip and are planning on trying beginner ski lessons.

breezylovers Sat 27-Jul-19 14:37:34

We are going at Christmas 🎄

PenguinsRabbits Sat 27-Jul-19 14:42:50

We went over Christmas - it was around -25C outside though can vary week to week but seriously cold but hot in hotel and all restaurants we went in. For outside would take thermal and layers. Inside like you would dress for 25C e.g. thin top and skirt / trousers.

It's also worth taking some food / drink - its very expensive over there and limited choice e.g. £10 for a burger and chips (oddly not expensive in summer). We had a massive luggage allowance of 20kgs each.

SkelterHelter Sat 27-Jul-19 19:49:16

Just realised I missed woolly jumper off the list, oops! We were Aurora chasing so a bit more hardcore, but here's the info in case it's useful: tours.aurora-service.eu/what-clothing-to-bring/

maddiemookins16mum Sun 28-Jul-19 14:09:26

I used to work for a large firm selling Lapland breaks and went three times.
Top tips
Do not take jeans (you’ll freeze in them).
Do not take woollen gloves for kids (they just get soaked)
Thermal pyjamas work wonders under snowsuits (Primark adults one is all I wore underneath mine with warm tights, the pj bottoms, a warm vest, t shirt and then pj top). I pretty much wore the same all the time.
It is not dressy, nobody cares what is under your snowsuit and people usually just pull the top bit down when stopping off for a drink etc.
Take Christmas jumpers for any gala night you have.
Take some snacks from home as it’s very expensive (we took sachets of cup a soup, hot chocolate, and 3 boxes of nutrigrain type bars).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in