Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Deal, Kent

(5 Posts)
Sianyd112 Mon 22-Jul-19 11:32:10

Hi Ladies,
My parents were talking about moving to Deal this year maybe next, We are all currently in South east London and my parents want to live by the sea and buy something cheaper so they have a comfortable nest egg for retirement. It has all happened very quickly and they have sold up and an offer has been accepted on a house they have found. As much as I would love to move, I am a one parent family and I am worried that Deal might not be right for me and my daughter. I'd love to know what it is like for single parents in the area? Am I going to feel isolated moving away from friends? I run a business too which I can run anywhere but It means I am often working around the clock which can be lonely. I suppose I just want someone to tell me they did it and they love it, I have it in my head that its going to be a sleepy town with not many people my age. I am not in the position to buy yet so I will need to rent, Does anyone rent in Deal, any advice? Thank you so much for any help you can offer!

OP’s posts: |
imtakingabath Mon 22-Jul-19 11:41:20

I grew up in Deal - it used to be quite boring with not much to do but is now becoming trendy and popular with Londoners of various ages! There’s some boutique type independent shops, a few decent restaurants and lots of coffee shops.

I can’t comment on what it’s like for single parents really, the town as a whole is becoming much more expensive to rent/buy in though because of the increasing demand. The high speed train to London is good though still takes over an hour. Margate is about 30 mins away from Deal and is also very trendy and up and coming at the moment.

SJane48S Mon 22-Jul-19 14:15:36

Ok - so I assume you currently live with your parents (and if they have an accepted offer on a place they’ll be moving within the next 3 months?)? So your choice is renting in London or Deal? I used to live in SE London too (Crystal Palace) and moved out 13 years ago and we live in Kent. Deal is a nice town and on the up. The housing will be a lot cheaper, bigger & nicer than you’d get in London. Your parents will be close. In summer you’ll have the beach. On the negative side, you will have to build a new social network but having children at school will help with that & there will be things you can join. There will also be lots of other DFLs (down from London!). Having made the move, I spent the first six- twelve months really really missing London then I got over it. I can’t imagine ever wanting to move back.

Sianyd112 Mon 22-Jul-19 14:39:28

I live on my own already, I'm 34 so I couldn't live with my parents!! I have a few friends there but nothing substantial. The reason I'd have to moves because they are my main source of childcare and also, its becoming more expensive living on my own in London. I am stretched as it is (no benefits or child maintenance, my money is all 100% earned). Its great to know that you wouldn't go back to London, I really hope I feel like that too!!

OP’s posts: |
SJane48S Mon 22-Jul-19 16:29:18

:-) I’m sure you will! Be prepared for the first year to feel pretty alien but honestly, best thing we did! Still have a lot of friends in London & while I love it, just not my town anymore & happy to DC have grown up down here. They may be hicks but they’re safe hicks

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in