Talk

Advanced search

Taxis and child car seats - Help!

(12 Posts)
Casiloco Sat 20-Jul-19 16:09:09

We are travelling to Croatia (Split) in August and DIL is nervous about travelling with DGS in taxis without a car seat.

Will we need to take our own?

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Sat 20-Jul-19 16:15:03

What age is he?

happytoday73 Sat 20-Jul-19 16:26:57

How old? If needs stage 3... ... Just buy booster and take it on plane as or in hand luggage. Much better than renting or trying to organise

Casiloco Sat 20-Jul-19 16:37:01

He is 17 months

Lemoneeza Sat 20-Jul-19 16:41:23

yes take your own If she's not comfortable with holding him. most airlines will let you check it into the hold luggage along with your suitcases. it might get bashed about though.

Casiloco Sat 20-Jul-19 17:12:30

Thanks Lemoneeza - I think that is what we will probably do. Just wondered if anyone else knew how child-friendly they are in Split - I.e. Would taxis automatically have car seats available?

As it might save having a damaged car seat!

mightymouses Sat 20-Jul-19 17:40:50

No, no country automatically has child seats in taxis. You wouldn't get that in the UK so I'm confused why you think you may get it in Croatia. Yes you will need to take a seat for him if she wants him to travel safely. I'm sure the taxi drivers would let you ride without having him in a seat but it's very dangerous and I can see why your DIL doesn't want to do it.

Casiloco Sat 20-Jul-19 19:27:03

Your point taken mightymouses - I was being mindlessly optimistic.

The irony being that some perhaps less developed places are possibly more likely to be able to offer this service. In India, for example, we found that if you wanted a monkey to share your taxi, or the driver to arrange foot spas in the rear of the vehicle, then the answer was always "yes"!

However, we will just have to risk the damage and take a car seat with us.

Lemoneeza Sat 20-Jul-19 19:57:45

I think you could bubble wrap it, my friend did this. check with the airline though.

JanewaysBun Sun 21-Jul-19 20:55:06

I own a spare car seat for travelling, I keep it in MIL's car and take it on holiday. Even if taxis do provide car seats they are unlikely to be high quality ones. I have a bag for mine which I pad out with clothes and nappies.

The joie tilt is cheap and could be kept as one for planes?

lboogy Sun 21-Jul-19 20:59:24

Taxis offer child car seats for older children but not the infant car seat which is what you want for a 17m old - assuming he's not too big for one.

Get one of those umbrella fold buggys and then you can hang the car seat over the back of the buggy and take both on the plane

You don't need to bubble wrap it

Casiloco Mon 22-Jul-19 18:45:29

Thanks all - useful info!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in