Talk

Advanced search

Tips for Turkey 2019

(11 Posts)
PlaymobilPirate Sat 06-Jul-19 09:08:17

Heading to Turkey for the first time on Friday 12th (staying at the Side Star Elegance in Side) and wondered if anyone had any tips / must do's?

Confused about what currency to take!

Visas sorted.

OP’s posts: |
HilaryBriss Sun 07-Jul-19 21:43:26

Im not sure why you are confused about currency, Turkey use Turkish lira so why wouldn't you take/use that?

PlaymobilPirate Sun 07-Jul-19 22:18:10

Because I've read that they also accept euro and Stirling

OP’s posts: |
AHintOfStyle Sun 07-Jul-19 22:29:07

We were in Turkey last October (Sarigerme) we took sterling. That’s what all the shops wanted. We exchanged some for lira while we were there for taxis etc but the shops wanted either sterling or euros.

WeLoveHaribo Mon 08-Jul-19 12:06:29

Euros and sterling we took. They didn’t want lira.
Not sure what else you need to know. Plenty of suncream. You’ll have a fab time. Only been once but loved it. (Belek)

Hersetta427 Mon 08-Jul-19 12:44:57

Side is a European focused report and they quote prices in euros but they take anything.

puppy23 Mon 08-Jul-19 20:27:40

I went to Turkey (Kemer) in April, I'd probably take a mix of euros and lira - lira will be better if you're wanting to tip and I think for any shops outside the hotel etc, however in the hotel shops/for the spa they preferred euros.

Have a brilliant time - I've been dying to go back ever since!

BlueisthenewGrey Mon 08-Jul-19 20:33:26

Just take sterling and change at the hotel reception. It worked out a better rate. Also currency exchange shops in Side but i didnt check the rate vs at the hotel. If you change into euros you pay commision twice.

Side is lovely, there is also a large shopping centre in manvagrat nearby if you don't want to barter and it has a fantastic softplay like they have in America. It's a £1ish each on the bus (dolmus).

Enjoy. X

Nearlyoldenoughtowearpurple Mon 08-Jul-19 20:38:59

Just got back last week and just took lira, or got from cash machine there, paid on credit card there too. Only saw prices in euro at the airport.
Have a fab time
We found it really reasonable value this year

Pyjamaface Mon 08-Jul-19 20:39:13

I only ever take Lira with me, people will accept GBP and Euro but taxis, supermarkets etc will only take Lira ime.

Make sure you carry your passport and visa on you at all times. This is a legal requirement and you can be stopped and checked at any time and fined if you do not have them. This year I saw a couple of people get caught out

SooticaTheWitchesCat Tue 09-Jul-19 13:31:30

The best thing to do is take a small amount of lira for the first day and then change sterling for lira out there or withdraw from and ATM.

There is no point in getting euros as you will lose out by two lots of exchanging.

They may price things in euros but that is for people who use that currency but you are better off using lira.

As mentioned above make sure you print off a copy of your visas and carry them with your passport at all times as it is the law.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in