Talk

Advanced search

Hotel close to south terminal Gatwick

(15 Posts)
mumma24 Fri 05-Jul-19 19:38:12

Looking to stay 1 night before an early flight. Which hotel is nearest and has free parking for the 3 days we are away for?

OP’s posts: |
OrchidInTheSun Fri 05-Jul-19 19:42:15

I don't know about free parking but bloc hotel is inside the airport

BritWifeinUSA Sat 06-Jul-19 00:23:16

For free parking for whilst you are gone you would be better off looking at an off-site hotel. Parking at the airport for that duration will be very pricey.

SJane48S Sat 06-Jul-19 08:22:47

There are 2 Premier Inns on site at Gatwick.Depending on how early your flight is, I find the closer the hotel to the airport the better in terms of doing away with unnecessary hassle, long rides on buses etc. The Premier Inn that's not the North Terminal one usually has a parking offer on and is cheaper. Last summer that was parking in the summer extension car park and quick transport to the terminals.

Do look at Gatwick parking though and Google special offers on Long Stay as there usually is one. The most convenient option is Long Stay and either the Sofitel or Premier Inn North Terminal (it's right next to the airport and the train to the South Terminal which takes a minute). The further away you are, the cheaper with accommodation/parking it does get but Crawley or East Grinstead aren't Gatwick, getting through the airport is enough of a faff in itself, why add to that?

Doubleraspberry Sat 06-Jul-19 09:10:14

I would endorse long stay parking plus an on-site hotel because I loathe the stress of hotel shuttles. Bloc hotel is right next to security in the South Terminal (two minutes or less from closing the door of your room and standing at the security gates), usually fairly competitively priced, and if you sign up to their mailing list, you get a free room upgrade, free Premium Security and a free hot drink in the cafe next door. The rooms are very capsule in style so could be fun for kids and you’ve got a view directly on to the runway - my only warning is that they only have wet rooms rather than proper bathrooms so you have to hide your stuff before showering.

Doubleraspberry Sat 06-Jul-19 09:23:28

I just checked to see if Bloc did a parking package and they do, with premium valet parking. (I swear I have no connection with this hotel other than it being so much better than the shitty hotels I’ve stayed in halfway down the A23.) I put in a room for a Friday in August plus three nights’ parking and it’s £138 including valet parking and premium security. You can also buy yourself breakfast at the Grainstore (beyond security) in advance for £10 for two.

OrchidInTheSun Sat 06-Jul-19 10:23:55

Yes Bloc with parking is what converted me to Gatwick official valet parking. It's a joy (and not free but not much more expensive that the shuttle bus crap).

SJane48S Sat 06-Jul-19 10:49:11

We're flying out of South Terminal at 6am in October. Was planning to go with one of the two Premier Inns that we usually use (as above) as I've not heard of Bloc. Just put in the date onto booking.com for Bloc - one night in a room with no window and bunk beds is £188! The Premier Inn that's about a 10 minute walk as a point of comparison is £78. I'm guessing better prices on their website?!

Doubleraspberry Sat 06-Jul-19 13:09:14

I’ve only ever booked Bloc on their own website. I’ve never seen prices go much beyond £100 for the cheapest rooms even in summer so maybe there’s some freak demand that day - is it half term? Don’t forget they upgrade you to a window if you go on the mailing list! The Premier Inn that’s a ten minute walk away is pretty much always cheaper than the onsite ones, for obvious reasons.

Doubleraspberry Sat 06-Jul-19 13:12:46

Have browser open still on Bloc and the first Friday of October shows as £98 for a double bed with a bunk bed room (with window!) and £68 for a room with just bunk beds.

Doubleraspberry Sat 06-Jul-19 13:29:19

First Friday of half term that should say.

SJane48S Sat 06-Jul-19 19:27:20

It's for the 17th as we're being bad and flying out on the Thursday (it's my DH's 50th & I'm taking him to New York) to save a couple of hundred! On Blocs website (not booking.com which I looked at earlier) it's £119 for the 3 of us without parking - whereas Premier Inn North Terminal which is directly next to the train to the South Terminal is £68 with official Long Stay parking on special offer (through a Google) for £55 for a week.

mumma24 Sat 06-Jul-19 22:12:34

Thank you so much for all your advice

OP’s posts: |
Doubleraspberry Sun 07-Jul-19 09:17:52

Good luck!

And yeah, of course, Bloc’s not the cheapest option. I doubt it’ll ever be less than a Premier Inn!

CatLadyInTraining Tue 09-Jul-19 10:16:00

There is also a Hilton in Gatwick South - connected by walkways to the terminal so a few minutes' indoor walk.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in